LegacyGT.com

Performance vs. 6 cylinders... street start, 50-70, etc

z28dreams

Just my US 0.02.... I do not even have an LGT, but I had consistently better track times in my OBXT 5MT (yes, the wagon on stilts) than more experienced guys in their Evo IXs and Cobra Mustangs. Met up with two other Subie drivers, one with a 2003 WRX and one with a 2005 STi. Only the STi was a bit faster.

Even the officials on the track (Buttonwillow near Bakersfield CA) were surprised to see the numbers. I suspect the LGT to be faster than my OB. As long as it has a manual box. Personally I dislike the 5EAT - during a test drive it felt like 100 horses were missing.

I love my 05 5EAT.

stock, I ran 15.03 @ 96 (I believe, not sure on mph), beating the Mustang 5.0 next to me. this was the first run I ever made at the track, almost from a stand still.... Stg 1, I don't know because I was only stg 1 for about a week before going stg 2. I ran gutted uppipe and downpipe for stg 2 and ran 13.63 @ 98.5 mph. then i went stg 3, upgraded turbo last year and ran 12.86 @ 105 mph. Tonight, I took the new 08 STI out for her maiden stg 1 runs and found myself missing my 5EAT LGT... it's faster.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can say this. I'm trying to convince my mother to push into Subi cause well then there would be 4 in the drive way. She drives a 95 Maxima right now and we've been testing the 08's of Subi's and the Maxima(6eat! Yeah). Going to test drive the Altima and maybe the GT today. The 3.0R has plenty of power and so does the Maxima. If you don't get much or any snow with the rebates on the Maxima that's the better option. If you have snow and/or would like to modify down the line the Legacy is better. The auto's these days are quick and smooth and I frankly love to have the control over the gears but still not have to worry about traffic or if my fiance drives the car. Test them both out see how you like them. See if you can take the car for a couple hours to get a feel for actual driving. We had an issue try to test the Subi's yesterday cause of the area we were driving was bad timing and area for traffic. Also I wanted more time in the 3.0R, but that just cause I'm dreaming of when I finish my swapped 3.0R into my 97 OBS. Good luck and happy test driving.

-Gaddis

I have a Stg 1 '08 GT MT w. catback. My AP has shown me numerous 5.02-5.3 0-60 starts (the lowest was abusing the clutch and had slightly too much wheel break, but I didn't want to do that again and go for 5-even just for abusive giggles). That said, even with a bad or fairly conservative start, it'll stay under 6 seconds.

I'm with you on sticking to the rolling starts and highway passing ... and this is still the car to get. For a 27k price tag and less than 2k in additional (relatively) warranty-safe mods, I'm right there with a manual g35 coupe on dry pavement and will smoke it in any other weather condition for much less $$$. Almost every other AWD car is toast. Can't really speak for the 5EAT's though... ;)

No, it never did, Nissan isn't using a 6-speed automatic on any of their cars except the GT-R which is a different type of tranny altogether.

Umm... yeah it does. I drove it. My mom will be buying one. Altima has the same trani too. Drove that too. Nice and smooth.

-Gaddis

What year was that Maxima? How did you know it was 6-speed?

The new ones don't even have 6-speeds anymore, they are CVT. They all have 6 speed manual transmissions, but not 6-speed autos. If the CVT has 6 virtual preset shift points that's a whole different conversation.

Nissan replaced their entire automatic line-ul on sedans in 2006 IIRC. I'm on the Nissanusa site right now and indeed, the new Maximas are CVT-equipped.

Later edit:

Altima has the same trani too. Drove that too. Nice and smooth
Well that clears it up, you were talking about the CVT. No gears, just make-believe ones, aka pre-set shift points.

Hi all,

I'm right on the verge of buying an LGT, but am wondering a little bit about performance and how it compares to other vehicles.

I won't be doing any powerbraking or really hard launches, but it would be nice to have the performance where it counts.

For example, getting from a highway ramp up to speed (say 20-30mph -> 70mph) and possibly a few quick rolling starts (5-10mph -> 40mph or so).

How does the LGT hold up at these higher-speed starts?

I will have an 05 5EAT, eventually flashed to stage I (but probably stock for a while).

Would I be a lot better off with something like the Nissan VQ 3.5 engine for these 30->70mph sprints?

From numbers I'm reading: (for a 5EAT)

0-60: around 6.5s stock. how quick w/ stage I ? High 5's?

5-60: no idea ???

30-50 ???

50-70 ???

Is this car a dog at highway speeds? I'm trying to find some numbers to compare.

muhahahahaha

i have a 5eat with 16psi stage 1. at 25 mph you will be using 2nd gear up to 60. strooooong ass power man.

stock i kept a g35 at my back door up to 60.

btw...omparing an auto g35 to our 5eat gt is useless. we have the same tranny. but guess what? stage 1 has more power. 07+ i say get the g35 modles. 06 and below the gt will beat it.

Town...sweet... you're in Arlington VA? I live in Alexandria.... you'll have to give me a run in a Stage I MT sometime to compare to my stock 5EAT.

Yeah man, that's close. I live in Ballston, anytime.

Archived