LegacyGT.com

5EAT and a 4 wheel drift... possible?

Soda Popinski

Not that I want to take every corner in a full drift, but I tried to do it today going around a 90 degree corner and up a hill. I turned off VDC and put it in manual, in 1st gear, and punched it as I cut the wheel hard to the right. It didn't do it.

What did I do wrong? How can I wilfully put my car into a 4 wheel drift around a sharp corner with the 5EAT? Is it even possible with VDC disabled?

I don't know if was entirely possible at stock but at stage 2 i am definitely able to just whip it around side ways without being in sport mode.

I would definitely consider some taking some precautions before doing those types of things maneuvers often. Such as a tranny cooler for starters.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I don't know if was entirely possible at stock but at stage 2 i am definitely able to just whip it around side ways without being in sport mode.

I would definitely consider some taking some precautions before doing those types of things maneuvers often. Such as a tranny cooler for starters.

yes you can, and as KP already pointed out, you're going to need to beef up that tranny before you do anything too crazy.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

I'm assuming that the 4EAT and 5EAT transmissions are basically the same as far as operation goes. Four wheel drifts are definitely possible. At my last autocross, I went into a wide left hander and induced some lift-off oversteer. My car was pointing more or less perpendicular to the line of travel for most of the turn and lined up perfectly for the exit. Actually getting the power down on the exit was another matter (still working on that finesse), but four wheel drifting is certainly doable.

Yes. I did it on accident recently but as above it was due to lift-off oversteer. That was actually with VDC on and I am going to echo taking precautions. Transmission cooler and keep your eyes open, you'll have a hard time explaining four black tire marks to the insurance adjuster or police officer...

If our 5EAT car can do 4WD drift, I will start investing more now!!!!

But Cusco LSD + Stage 2 + Beef Up IPT/VB Tranny + Existing mods = enough to buy an IS-F =\

This is nice, but I think they converted to RWD. If our 5EAT has a manual switch that can adjust to F0:R100 or R20:R80, that would be nice!

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d70/Hangerr/K800i/DSC00620.jpg

wait wait wait botbs...ur telling me by buying that 700-900 dollar piece of metal and taking a few hours and installing it, that the 5MT-LGT will automatically become a 100%RWD vehicle?

How the hell does that work...what happens to the front wheels, doesnt something get messed up sending power to the front wheels.

wait wait wait botbs...ur telling me by buying that 700-900 dollar piece of metal and taking a few hours and installing it, that the 5MT-LGT will automatically become a 100%RWD vehicle?

How the hell does that work...what happens to the front wheels, doesnt something get messed up sending power to the front wheels.

I think you can e-mail rocket rally for more info. Or message people who have done on their impreza =) . The MT trans is more aftermarket friendly and less complicated than the 5EAT.

it a complete disconnect. if understant how the transfercae and center diff work on a subaru trans, this is pretty simple. in essance, if you have a diff that loked in 50/50, you can remove the shaft from one side of the diff and still get full power to the other. this is what this thing does, but actually it removed the center dif entirely and just connect the rear drive shaft directly to the optput shaft of the trans. so the shaft that goes to the front diff is not attached to anything. all the front drive stuff just freewheels inside the transmission.

Very interesting.

Wierd way to ask a question...but if one was to develop a part similair to the one designed for the 5MT, but for the 5EAT...and installed it..would it be easy plug and play like the 5MT and make the 5EAT LGT 100% RWD...or is there thing in the 5EAT transmission that hinder this from being such an easy plug and play mod?

got it. reasons for your statment?

(btw...just to make everyone aware that im happy i bouoght an AWD car, and an Auto, and i would never want to change that, i just love to know these lil tidbits about cars)

Very interesting.

Wierd way to ask a question...but if one was to develop a part similair to the one designed for the 5MT, but for the 5EAT...and installed it..would it be easy plug and play like the 5MT and make the 5EAT LGT 100% RWD...or is there thing in the 5EAT transmission that hinder this from being such an easy plug and play mod?

The are control unit for the STi and the GTR.

Their intention was for those GTR drive to have drag race.

http://www.neweraparts.com/Default.aspx?CategoryID=150&Level=a&List=0&ProductID=51&tabid=54

Do a search on nasioc.com, they have a similar one for the 6MT STi with DCCD. Again, not many manufacturer is willing to spend $$$ on automatic aftermarket mods. :redface: So no luck for us. Time to change car !!! hahahaha

got it. reasons for your statment?

(btw...just to make everyone aware that im happy i bouoght an AWD car, and an Auto, and i would never want to change that, i just love to know these lil tidbits about cars)

I meant it not worth is since alot of money would be put in to developig somthing that has never been done to my knowledge. I dont thing the transfer case is setup the same in the 5eat.

Archived