LegacyGT.com

5EAT Valve Body modification time!

t0ad

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is a great step by step install to compliment Toad's post. This was a combination between instructions bikerboy gave me and my own insight:

First tip would be cover the floor of your garage under the car with newspaper. It is a really messy job!

1) pull drain plug out of the pan and let it drain. t-55 socket.

2) pull out all the 10mm hex bolts out of the pan except the two at the corners in the front. You can leave those screwed in a couple of threads to hold the pan from falling.

3) Pry the pan off once loose let the two bolts from step 2 hold the pan while it drains. The best thing to use here is a paint scraper. The BEST PLACE TO START is one of the corners of the pan towards the FRONT of the car. One of the corners has a little extra section of metal that will allow you to get a paint scraper in there. Start there by using a bunch of pressure to start the removal. Once the seal breaks, go slow and steady around the pan. DO NOT push the scraper too hard towards the inside seam...you do not want to damage any of the wires to the VB inside the pan.

4) Once removed, take a few minutes from being under the car and either begin cleaning the trans pan or start w/ the removal of the VB.

5) Begin removing the VB...first unplug the three green electrical connectors

6) VERY IMPORTANT STEP THAT WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE VERY EASY! Set the NEW VB on its side so you can see the bottom of it while you are removing your VB. Begin to loosen all the bolts in your VB that you can see are missing on the new VB. Most of the bolts you will be removing are black. There is one (YMMV ...you might have more than one) GOLD bolt that you will remove as well. At this step once all the bolts are cracked loose it will start leaking fluid again. You can either let it sit and drool for awhile or just go for it. I just go for it...only another quart or so of fluid will come out.

6.5) As you REMOVE each black bolt, INSERT IT INTO THE SLOT ON THE NEW VB THAT YOU LAID ON IT'S SIDE! Again, this will make your life so easy. :)

7) It would help to have a second set of hands to take out the VB although you could set up a jack to support it while you take out in order all the loosened bolts and set then aside in order. I personally did it myself and just muscled it...it's not THAT heavy, just messy more than anything.

8) once removed from the car you will note that you will have to take off your gear position indicator off your stock VB and put it on the new VB. It's one green plug and three bolts to remove it and put it on the new vb. Look at this for awhile to make sure you align the gear selector pin correctly. It's obvious but again, always nice to be triple sure.

8.5) Transfer all the bolts from your NEW VB to your OLD VB in their same spot. Take the OLD VB with the bolts in it and place it underneath the car so you can simply pull one by one as you re-install the NEW VB.

9) Reinstall the VB and torque to 110inch pounds per bolt.

10) Clean your transmission pan with a wire wheel and soapy water to get all the old silicone and atf fluid off of it. You can also use the wire wheel on your transmission case itself along where the pan meets. I simply used a razor blade to make it nice and smooth. Also try to clean this and make it as dry as possible prior to mounting the new pan.

11) Prep your trans pan by drying it off, clean off the circle magnet in there and also replace your drain pan bolt. Once prepped, apply the sealant of your choice liberally (but don't get TOO crazy). I used Subaru orange gasket sealant.

12) Carefully place pan up and begin re-installing all 21 10mm bolts.

13) Finally, you will need between 6-8 quarts of Subaru Type-j ATF fluid.

14) Clean-up and enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
I just sent my valve body off to IPT. For those using their vehicles VB I listed the bolts to be removed for the VB and labeled each one. atc5: A small correction, the drain bolt requires a 8mm hex head socket/wrench. A large, flat metal drip tray definitely helps to contain the mess.

Trans Pic 3.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in another thread as well, might be overlooked.

The VB mod amongst other things, it increases line pressure from what I understand. Well, isn't line pressure monitored and corrected by the TCU? In that case, I wonder if that's the reason some people have said they don't feel a significant difference. I might call IPT about this because I think the TCU may be doing counter-productive things. If I'm spending the money, I feel that I need to fully understand what the modded VB undergoes and in what ways it has been modified and how it manages to work well with the TCU. There are sensors in the transmission that monitor line pressure. I see a potential there for some error codes?

Thoughts?

because it wont save your drivetrain. people get this mod thinking it's beefing up the 5eat. all it is, is a shift kit. some one will now argue that it helps reduce heat build up and in turn leads to helping clutch wear. it's b.s., but decide for yourself. it's your ride and $. don't launch the car and you will be fine. if you wan't to launch the car, it's a matter of time before BOOM

If the transmission doesn't have enough line pressure stock to clamp down crisp at WOT, a VB mod will make a difference. In my case I can tell you my tranny shifts very crips and firm under load but as soon as she gets close to redline, it gets kinda mushy. Someone I know suggested this may be because the car isn't pushing enough power to make it clamp down hard. I don't fully understand that statement though.

Others will chime in in time, I don't think the VB mod is useless, just that it may not work in all situations and was wondering exactly what I posted above.

because it wont save your drivetrain. people get this mod thinking it's beefing up the 5eat. all it is, is a shift kit. some one will now argue that it helps reduce heat build up and in turn leads to helping clutch wear. it's b.s., but decide for yourself. it's your ride and $. don't launch the car and you will be fine. if you wan't to launch the car, it's a matter of time before BOOM

hmmm..... this sounds awefully familiar rants and claims.....

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

faster shifts do improve tranny life .. ride the clutch on your 5 mt see how long thats lasts .. but its a matter of actually getting harder shifts .

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I posted this in another thread as well, might be overlooked.

The VB mod amongst other things, it increases line pressure from what I understand. Well, isn't line pressure monitored and corrected by the TCU? In that case, I wonder if that's the reason some people have said they don't feel a significant difference. I might call IPT about this because I think the TCU may be doing counter-productive things. If I'm spending the money, I feel that I need to fully understand what the modded VB undergoes and in what ways it has been modified and how it manages to work well with the TCU. There are sensors in the transmission that monitor line pressure. I see a potential there for some error codes?

Thoughts?

Looking through some of the Subaru service manual trans component diagrams, there is a pump assembly in the trans, but I don't see anything resembling this on the VB itself. I can make a few guesses as to what IPT is modifying. We know that they are changing the shift duration (rate at which gears are changed & clamping force reapplied to the clutch packs). The internal fluid pressure that the VB valves are seeing may be independent of what the TCU actually sees, meaning that bumping certain pressures in the VB might be invisible to the TCU. Once again, just a guess. I'll keep searching and reading up on this and see if I can find more info.

it's not worth the $ charged. and people think it adds to tranny life, it doesn't

Can you provide some insight about how you've reasoned this out, or are you simply talking out of your backside? Sources, data, evidence? Stick to the facts please.

hmmm..... this sounds awefully familiar rants and claims.....

That's what I kinda thought too. Not sure why they sound familiar though :lol:

Personally, I really really really REALLY don't think a stock transmission can really hold 400awhp as at least 1 member here on Stage 3 is at. He has a VB and a tranny cooler.

well I know a few members who were running pretty high power on stock tranny til it went. now they have rebuilt trans. Right now, it seems that IPT has the "market" if you will, for modding the 5EAT VB. I believe VTGT was looking into some alternatives that may be less expensive (sub $700).
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

• 2 months later...

Thread revival to throw something out there. I know some people here have expressed concern that the TCU would eventually compensate for the increased hydraulic line pressure and negate some of the benefits of a modded VB. Just remembered that today for no good reason and decided to call two friends of mine that are tranny geeks. What it came down to both of them saying is that no, the TCU can't overcompensate and completely negate the mods. At most what it can do is bitch about it and throw off a CEL, which won't happen unless there is another issue that causes the line pressure to become significantly higher, as in severely high. Matter of fact the pump won't even know in most cases that has been a change on the other end of things because the range of travel is pretty much the same, the work it has to do is the same, but the results are different. I won't go into their explanation (they described how things work) so there you have it, I just wanted to throw it out there. IPT also mods the accumulators, these are, from what I understand, small spring-loaded cylinders that absorb hydraulic pressure when the gear goes to engage in order to make the shift points mushy and smooth. By using different spec springs, with a higher load on them, you basically take away from that dreaded mushy shift point behavior which spells slow death for the clutchpacks and the gears engage quick and crisp. These two are just a few things that IPT does to our VB.

Yes, these two guys have seen trannies from all walks of life, from shitty 3-speed old as dirt Ford autos to JATCO units that are currently in production. The VB mod as described by IPT has every potential to be just as smooth under daily driving conditions. It will show it's true colors under load. So those that are skeptical or those that think the VB didn't do anything, is probably because they were expecting to feel shift shock similar to someone shifting a manual harshly. It won't happen.

The end.

ORLY? In regular traffic, IE, not romping on it? Interesting. Several have told me it's just as smooth as stock. Unless, of course, you were being sarcastic with me :p

I sure do talk alot about it for someone that doesn't even have the mod, lol. Yet ...

i doubt she'd notice it much unless she rides in the car a lot. it's not any more noticeable than riding with someone in an MT.

Yes let me rephrase, if you are the primary driver of the car you will notice it. If you are in the car every once in a while you wont. So its a wifey approved mod.

"I for one do not doubt you, dude. Your car is fast and an internet legend." -Gire

Archived