LegacyGT.com

which acura is fastAr?

this afternoon i was driving behind a black acura. it looked big unlike the smaller ones around. he was driving fast so i followed to see how easily i could catch up.

to my surprise, it was just about even .. i hit the rev limiter though and it kind of screwed me up a bit, but the cars were pretty evenly matched it seemed. still though, i'm running the AP on stage 1 and was expecting to be able to be right there with him right away.

it was only for about 1/4 mile and with daytime traffic and me not expecting him to start fast in the first place, it was hard to figure out if the car was actually that powerful, or if it was just the mix of traffic conditions and me starting late to try to keep up along with the short distance.

either way though, it was a pretty fast car, it was a bigger acura, and it was debadged .. so what do you think it was?

Guest JessterCPA
I had a experience with a TL type S a while back. It has the same drivetrain as a CL, and he ran me pretty hard up to about 115.

FWD would have the advantage on rolling over AWD so I won't feel that bad.

Yes, Honda tranny sucks, I have a friend who works at a Honda dealership and that's what he told me that their tranny always has problems.

yes it was a CL. i just searched google for an image. 260hp, so pretty evenly matched with us it seems.

Or the 270 hp one? or even the older models with the 200 hp? or 220 hp? I think the older model TLs were down to 200 hp as well. The current AWD RL is at 280 hp. The Acuras are usually a bit heavier due to more of the refinement of luxury. It's the power to weight ratio is what you want to compare. Typically, OEM transmissions of a lot of car makers are designed pretty much the same way if the rpms are similar (regardless of the horsepower). For example, a car making 500 hp @ 5000 lbs vs. a 200 hp @ 2000 lbs. Both are 10:1 for weight to power ratio.. the difference will show from the tranny of how well each car can translate their power more effiecently to the ground. You'll soon realize that to make the best of that power to weight ratio [for street use] is to have a certain gearing in the car to maximize more of the [driveability] of the car rather than the extremes of acceleration vs top speed. Compare the 0-60 pulls and final drives x gear ratios to tire size to weight. You'll see the final numbers are similar.

Keefe

Keefe

'99-03 TL/CL was 225HP and Type S TL/CL was 260HP.

There was an issue with the 5sp auto transmissions on all 'S' models. It was minor defect that caused majorr damage if not cuaght in time. Acura replaced many AT's in those cars. My brother's fiance just traded her '02 CL-S on an '05 TL after getting nervous with a nearly expired warranty. The thought of having to replace the transmission or throttle body out of warranty was the main deciding factor. Those were problem areas on here car, pus some brake issues.

The last year the Cl wass made, they offered a 6sp Type S with an LSD. That car was quick.....between a MT and AT LGT.

either way though, it was a pretty fast car, it was a bigger acura, and it was debadged .. so what do you think it was?

I Suppose it could have been the new RL? Do you have a 5spd or auto? I wouldve thought a 5spd LGT would take any acura pretty easily...

Archived