LegacyGT.com

Found Good Buy on Stock Alloys

LeGreatOne

I found 4 nearly new (well, almost) Subaru wheels on Ebay.

They look either identical or very similar to the wheels on my 2005 Legacy.

Originally advertised earlier today with new tires mounted, I requested the seller remove the tires and accept my BUY IT NOW price, and he did!

They're stock 16 x 6.5, 55mm offset alloys from a 2004 Legacy for which I paid $400 + $70 shipping. The only marks on them (according to the seller) are from wheel weights.

There were several sets of stock wheels for sale on Ebay, but this seemed the best deal for my needs.

The wheels are less expensive than aftermarket wheels and will alloy me to mount new Winter tires without worrying about hub-centric rings or (I think) differing lug nut sizes.

Additionally, I've just ordered a set of stock sized 205/55 x 16 Dunlop Winter Sport M3s from Tirerack. I've always used Blizzaks previously, but the M3s are supposed to last a lot longer, and have great reviews.

It's been a good night for things car :)

Now I need to find some place to have them properly mounted and balanced. I've not had a lot of luck with local tire sellers in that regard.

"I don't think 16" wheels will fit on the 05 Legacy GT -- there isn't enough room to clear the brakes. You should stick with 17" wheels."

That's true, the GT has larger rotors and requires 17 inch or larger wheels. I have a Legacy sedan, the base 2.5I model. 16 inch wheels fit on my car.

FWIW, I've seen 17 inch Subaru wheels for sale on Ebay at good prices.

• 3 weeks later...

...for what it's worth, I ordered a set of WinterForce M=S tires in size 225/60-SR16 mounted on steel rims (it was a tire/wheel pkg from Tirerack) mounted/balanced including shipping for $477. Although a set of alloys for the winter would've been nice, I kinda' like the "sleeper" look of the steelies:

http://home.earthlink.net/~timo1745/_images/subie_images/subie_first_snow/subie_snow%20002.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~timo1745/_images/subie_images/subie_first_snow/subie_snow%20003.jpg

Rgds,

Tim G.

'05 OBXTL-5MT

I found 4 nearly new (well, almost) Subaru wheels on Ebay.

They look either identical or very similar to the wheels on my 2005 Legacy.

Originally advertised earlier today with new tires mounted, I requested the seller remove the tires and accept my BUY IT NOW price, and he did!

They're stock 16 x 6.5, 55mm offset alloys from a 2004 Legacy for which I paid $400 + $70 shipping. The only marks on them (according to the seller) are from wheel weights.

There were several sets of stock wheels for sale on Ebay, but this seemed the best deal for my needs.

The wheels are less expensive than aftermarket wheels and will alloy me to mount new Winter tires without worrying about hub-centric rings or (I think) differing lug nut sizes.

Additionally, I've just ordered a set of stock sized 205/55 x 16 Dunlop Winter Sport M3s from Tirerack. I've always used Blizzaks previously, but the M3s are supposed to last a lot longer, and have great reviews.

It's been a good night for things car :)

Now I need to find some place to have them properly mounted and balanced. I've not had a lot of luck with local tire sellers in that regard.

...the smaller brakes, whereas the LGT and LGT Wagon have the larger ones. You cannot run 16" in either the LGT or LGT Wagon, but you can on all model OB's.

I was a little surprised that Subaru would use the same motor into the OBXT that the LGT has, yet not use the same brakes, too. One would think that with the extra horsepower, stopping wouldn't be any less important to an OBXT owner! :rolleyes:

Anyway, hope that helps!

Rgds,

Tim G.

'05 OBXTL-5MT

I thought the '05 XT/GT would only fit 17 rims. Are the rotors on the OB enough smaller that the 16 wheels fit? Are the restrictions people talked about with 16 inch rims only applicable to the Legacy GT?

:confused:

Archived