LegacyGT.com

Poll for Alpine Imprint (PXE-H650) Owners

ean611

So, what did you use for mic positions for the best result?

So far, I've found the best results by position 1 being in the center of my headrest, and recording more positions around that immediate area. I used 8 positions total.

What has everyone else done?

I used 5 tonight when I redid it, but used 7 last night. I usually do pos 1 on my head rest, 2 on the passengers, then the rest circling mine again. I would say that the more you do that better it is. I have noticed the right side was a little heavy so I may do more toward the center to see how that works. Personally even on my H700 that could do this (with a lesser mic) I have felt that I can do it better myself, but this seems to get you 95% there, thankfully you can do some custom tuning.

are you guys finding that you need a LOC for more amp/sub gain? im leaning towards this setup, but i still haven't given up the idea of an all in one headunit it (pioneer avic d3) i know the alpine would support my ipod connection, xm, and the basics, but is there an output if i want to LATER add NAV? i can get the alpine cheaper (obviously) than i can get the pioneer, the double din faceplate. but will i need to get an external LOC to juice up the output volts coming through the alpine into the amps. BTW, im running 2 alpine v12 amps. i know this topic has been beaten to death in other posts. so maybe one more wont hurt. please advise o ye wise ones!!!

The only place I am having an output issue is subs, but after today I will know if that is more of a amp/sub issue as I am doing some swapping. The fronts my gains are not turned up at all and they get plenty loud while still being clean. If you wanted to add NAV/ipod it would all have to run it's audio in the aux port, and there is only one.

Finally stumbled onto this thread so I guess I'll give my personal experience on the PXE-H650.

Here is the outline of my setup:

- Obviously the Alpine PXE-H650

- Infinity Reference 475a Amplifier

- Infinity Kappa 60.7cs Components in the front

- Infinity Kappa 62.7i Coaxials in the back

- Infinity Basslink I

- Do you need a line driver?

I wasted $160 on a AudioControl Matrix 6 Channel Line Driver You Don't need one (If anyone else wants it here you go: http://cgi.ebay.com/AudioControl-Matrix-6-Channel-Car-Audio-Line-Driver_W0QQitemZ150238355009QQihZ005QQcategoryZ14931QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

- What volume level did you set the OEM stereo to?

I put mine at 30 and haven't tried anything else. Works great for me.

- How did you set up your mic positions?

I used a smaller tripod and mounted the mic right onto it. The first position was right in the middle of the driver's head. The second position was right in the middle of the passenger's head. 3-6th positions were around the driver's ears, and the 7-8th were in the back two seats in the middle of where the passenger's head's would be. This is how the manual states how to do it and it so far it has worked great.

- What about bass output?

For some reason the Alpine doesn't like bass so it turns down its internal gain for the sub. All you have to do it go to the crossover settings on the PXE-H650 and kick it up until you're happy. I've got plenty of bass with an Infinity Basslink.

- Do you need to setup the Remote Wires to turn on the PXE-H650?

The inputs of the stock stereo work great to turn on the unit. Its almost instantly along with it powering up the rest of the remote components. After 5 minutes of no input the PXE-H650 will shut itself off along with everything else.

- Would you recommend the PXE-H650.

I sure as hell would. From day one I hated the poor excuse for a stereo in my Outback XT. I am completely blown away by how good it sounds now. Here is a link to my thread with my install:http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86076&highlight=outback+raamat

Guys, good thread(s). I'm really stuck on the PXE vs RF3sixty.2 decision. Do you think the Alpine can handle:

F: JL XR 3way fronts using the JL passives

R: JL 6w3v3 small sealed subs (2) in the rear foot sections

JL's new HD600 150x4 running both sections in stereo

S: JL 12w3 for 60hz and below

JL 300/2

Factory HU into PXE-H650 or RF 3Sixty.2 ???

I'd prefer the Alpine sound curve over the RF's crazy tunability, but I'm not sure the PXE can handle the setup with 3way fronts and small subs as rears (as in I'd cross them over at the PXE and then use the amp to create a BP).

Problem is I think it will confuse the calibration. I've DL'd the manual and I'm not sure it can do it based on the 2way input setup resulting in the HP/LP limitations and Xover pts for the outputs... I was wondering what you think though before I go with the RF? Any help is appreciated

Hmm, I'm not getting the results you are roybfr. I'm playing with the H650, but I cannot get the subs to level correctly. Guess I'll have to see how much manual control of the x-over points there are.

I will add that over the past few days things sound much better from the iPod through the Aux input vs a CD from the deck, which seems to have a tinge of distortion at higher levels where the iPod is still clean.

Guys, good thread(s). I'm really stuck on the PXE vs RF3sixty.2 decision. Do you think the Alpine can handle:

F: JL XR 3way fronts using the JL passives

R: JL 6w3v3 small sealed subs (2) in the rear foot sections

JL's new HD600 150x4 running both sections in stereo

S: JL 12w3 for 60hz and below

JL 300/2

Factory HU into PXE-H650 or RF 3Sixty.2 ???

I'd prefer the Alpine sound curve over the RF's crazy tunability, but I'm not sure the PXE can handle the setup with 3way fronts and small subs as rears (as in I'd cross them over at the PXE and then use the amp to create a BP).

Problem is I think it will confuse the calibration. I've DL'd the manual and I'm not sure it can do it based on the 2way input setup resulting in the HP/LP limitations and Xover pts for the outputs... I was wondering what you think though before I go with the RF? Any help is appreciated

How do you want to run the 6W3's? As midbass acting at frequencies between the subwoofers and the JL component set or as rear-fill (there are plenty of better speakers for this application)? Or do you want them overlapping with the front components to boost mid-bass output?

IMPRINT will not have any trouble with the passive components up front. It uses 512 FIR points. Each point has control of phase, time and level.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thread. Thanks, Biz.

I would run the 6" subs either slightly overlapping with the front, or between the sub and fronts. So then, would the in-car subs be the R1 or F2 channel? I think I may be limited by the HP/LP configurations of the PXE...

Archived