LegacyGT.com

Engine Clicking!!!!

Hey guys. I drive a 1995 Legacy lsi. It has 195K on it. Last week my engine had this clicking sound that is timed with the revs. Its only coming from one side of the engine. My friend says it could be a belt, a valve, or a piston head. Anyone have this problem with their Legacy. Or know what the heck is wrong? thanks.

PS. i have checked the engine oil level.

im going to venture a guess its the valves or cam

History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid

People sleep peacefully at night cause rough men stand ready to do violence on there behalf

I knew what engine this was before even opening this thread.

Try running a 15W-40 oil. Meant for Diesel engines. It sounds crazy, but it should solve your ticking problems. For some reason, lighter weight oil causes that ticking noise on the ej22's.

Also, collapsed Hydraulic Lash Adjusters cause this noise. Located near the lifters, over time the oil seeps out of them and causes the lifters to make some noise. They are expensive though, $30 each I believe. And they aren't any bigger than a marker light bulb.

I had 220k miles on my 95 before I sold it, and it ticked days after replacing a few collapsed HLA's. It was a complete waste of time and $90.

Archived