LegacyGT.com

Lightweight wheels

ebpda9

Just a few questions on light wheels:

how light is too light? I know i used to have a set of Enkei RPM02 and they were about 18-19 lbs a piece, but they bent too easily. Looking online at different stores i've seen wheels that range in weight from 15lbs to 30lbs in a 17". I was thinking that maybe 20lbs for a 17" is too heavy, and somewhere along the lines of 18-19lbs they would be considered ok wheels.

Also i was looking at the 5Zigens FN01RC they seem to be on average 17.5 lbs a piece. Does anyone have any experience with them? How prone are they to bending/cracking?

The reason for this is that i have the NA slushbox legacy and with my current MB boosts which look awesome my car feels as slow as a tank. I know it was a lot livelier with the 16" with winter tires and even better with the enkeis.

I would take any sugestions for wheels: they need to be 5 spoke or meshies, pretty light weight, not bend easy, and preferably around $200/piece. I fount the ssr-s type race but at $400 a wheel i am no baller. I don't autox or race the car, i just want to make it feel more like it has some balls and not like i carry boulders in the trunk.

Maybe your overall diameter was smaller with the 16's; that would give you better acceleration. SSR Comps 17 x 7.5 are under 13lbs. You can pick them up used for around 200-250 each. I dropped almost 10lbs per corner with these and Toyo T1-S tires vs stock LGT wheels/tires.

3 major factors when it comes to a rim that will determine its weight:

metal type: either steel, aluminum, magnesium

construction: cast, semi-forged, fully forged

design: mesh, spokes

normally, having a fully forged magnesium mesh wheel is the strongest and lightest setup. It depends on how much you want to spend.

Also, you may want to also check your tire load capacities and tire pressures to help the rim from being beaten up.

Keefe

$200 a rims is alittle low for a good set of light rims. on tirerack.com most of the oz rims are in the 17lb range and are 8" wide to fit a nice wide tire. In general you can have a light non forged rim but id make sure it has a mesh or multispoke design to keep it strong. These are the reasons i bough OZ ultraleggeras for myself. tey are light for a cast rim, they are reasonably cheap at ~270 a rim, they are made by a reputable company with a reasonable about of color options, and they are readily available in case i damage one.

My OZ's are surviving the Boston streets so far, and that's saying something. Did get their first bit of curbage as I shanked a tight parking job. I'd recommend the Kosei's if you like their look. Even if one were to bend, they're so cheap you can order another.

You could bend a strong rim if you have a tire with a thin side wall and hit a potehole hard enough. I swapped out my 215 for 225. It makes a big difference.

Plus my Falkens 225/45/17 tires were the same weight as the stock RE92 215/45/17s.

I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

Archived