LegacyGT.com

Spark plug misfire bank 2 & 4

Hey guys,

Need some assistance.

Today I got a check engine light turn on.

I had to code pulled @ AutoZone and they said that spark plug 2 & 4 was misfire.

I knew it was going to happen. I feel only when the engine is on a cold start up and when I come up to the main street light by my house I get a ruff idle. But it runs perfectly fine and the performance does NOT seem to lack. When the engine is all warmed up, the ruff idle is no more, but today; 2 months later the mighty computer finally pulled that code.

So I am thinking that it can be a bad coilpak and not really the plugs or the wires since they been recently changed about 20K miles before. Anyone here know if that can be the problem? I have 130K miles on it. From what I know, it’s the original coil pac.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks all. I decided to call Advance Auto and have them order me a coil pack. It's $100.00. Why not. I feel that its the problem.

You can always check it using this procedure. Presuming it's a Gen 2 or 3 Legacy. I haven't found the procedures yet for Gen 4s.

SBT

Ignition Coil Testing Fall98.pdf

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

It can be a hairline crack that has let in moisture into the pack. The first thing to check in cases like these are the cabling and contacts so that they are clean of any dirt. Cleaning everything with alcohol is a good start. don't use WD40 or similar since it contains oil that will attract dirt like shit attracts flies.
453747.png

I had an issue and it was just because the plug connectors came loose. Just reached down the side of the engine and pushed them back on. I spend days tinkering with the car thinking something was wrong - and it was a 20 second fix.

Good luck.

Not that I'm a voice of experience, but I agree with Casopolis on this one....follow the KISS principle and check all the simple stuff first.

When I was new to cars, I spent $400 on suspension crap and finally realized I just needed an $8 sway bar link.

$130 dollars on a sensor I didn't need, when the sensor I did need was $28.

Etc. Etc.

And, when in doubt, Duct Tape, Caulk, and Carb Cleaner....that'll pretty much fix anything :)

Joe

P.s. Casopolis, I sent a PM to you yesterday.

Thank all for the tips.What was funny was that I went out and go the parts (the check engine light was still on)As I got the part, started up my car and the light turned off. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, I did decide to put the new one on. I notice now when I was at the same light (engine still cold) and sitting there, I felt on ruff feeling idel. I think that the coil pack was going out but it turned off b/c the code cleared and the computer was just doing its job. I will still keep the old one just in case. Either way, I think I will suck up the $100.00 spent on it.~ Oh as for the old coil pack, it did have the contact grease on it, which was a good thing. I am not sure if the old one was OEM. The one I got looked identical also.Thanks all. I hope this problem is fixed.

It could be the injectors as well... I am getting a cylinder 4 misfire, after researching some, I found that some people are having injector issues, so just switch an injector from the front to the rear and see if the CEL moves with it... Changed them last night, guess I'll have to wait a few days to see which CEL gets thrown now...

If the CEL went out, it could be that it hasnt had a misfire in a few cycles, so it automatically cleared your CEL. It will probably show up again, but ya never know... lol

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Possible - it is designed to dissolve dirt and sometimes dirt has been building up in the wrong spot and a flake went on a trip into your system. If that's the case you may try some more.

It is also possible that there was some dirt that went into the fuel system already at manufacturing and it was "glued" to some place but the cleaner dissolved that glue.

453747.png

It could be the injectors as well...

Been there. The car would run great but the CEL would come on over and over. I ran Lucas injector cleaner through the tank a couple of times and the issue went away. I have yet to replace the injectors, just a shot of cleaner from time to time. We have crappy gas in Oregon.

It could be the injectors as well... I am getting a cylinder 4 misfire, after researching some, I found that some people are having injector issues, so just switch an injector from the front to the rear and see if the CEL moves with it... Changed them last night, guess I'll have to wait a few days to see which CEL gets thrown now...

If the CEL went out, it could be that it hasnt had a misfire in a few cycles, so it automatically cleared your CEL. It will probably show up again, but ya never know... lol

I had the P0304(cyl 4 misfire) happening a few times over the winter. I just changed my plugs last fall so, I knew it wasn't them. I was planning on upgrading to DW740cc injectors anyway, so I swapped in the new injectors in and I haven't had a P030# yet in the last 2-3 weeks. I made sure to mark the injectors when they came out so I know which is #4. So I guess I have 3 good spare stock injectors.

The CEL on the misfire will shut it's self off if it goes a few start cycles without a misfire. My car idles soooooo much smoother and accelorates a lot cleaner now too.

Let's kick this pig!

Injectors..hummm. I never thought of that.

If so, how much did you guys pay for yours?

I do now remember that I recently added some Techtron FI cleaner that goes into the gas tank. I'm wondering if that can caused the CEL to come on earlier.:spin:

I've been using the Chevron/Techtron FI cleaner(it's the only one I'll use) in cars for 20 years and have never had it contibute to a CEL. It usually makes the car run smoother during that tank that the cleaner is added to. I ran it though the LGT for a couple tanks after I got my first P0304 and the light never came on while it was in the tank, but it would always pop sometime after I re-filled.

Let's kick this pig!

Well.... bad news. Check engine light came back on. So I know it's not the coil-pack.

I think I'll replace the sparkplugs and wires. The wires are BOSCH. One guy I was BS'ing at AutoZone (customer) said he was going through the same thing on his wifes SUV and to find out it was the wires.

Well, I swapped my injectors around and I'm not getting the Cylinder 4 misfire... Now I'm getting "System running too lean, Bank 1" So I'm pretty sure its the injector now. And to make things even better, the car is running crazy rough at the moment. Its like a cylinder isnt firing at all. So I think the injector's given up completely now.

I hope mine is not the FI (fuel injector). From the looks of it, those SOB's cost $130.00 each!!

I think it was subarupartswarehouse that I found them for $86 each. But dont quote me exactly on that site as I've slept since then... lol

I did find my problem last night though. While I had previously checked the hoses and sprayed starting fluid all around the hoses and such, I guess there was only a small leak at the time of my testing. Within the past day or so, the hose came off completely. I re-connected it and wham, it worked perfectly. It was causing a Cylinder 4 misfire, then I switched injectors around and it ended up throwing a "System running too lean Bank 1" Which made me really think it was an injector, but I still took off the IC and started poking around. Found the problem and fixed it.

Make sure all the hoses are on really tight... Possibly clamp them down as well. Might just be hoses.

I think it was subarupartswarehouse that I found them for $86 each. But dont quote me exactly on that site as I've slept since then... lol

I did find my problem last night though. While I had previously checked the hoses and sprayed starting fluid all around the hoses and such, I guess there was only a small leak at the time of my testing. Within the past day or so, the hose came off completely. I re-connected it and wham, it worked perfectly. It was causing a Cylinder 4 misfire, then I switched injectors around and it ended up throwing a "System running too lean Bank 1" Which made me really think it was an injector, but I still took off the IC and started poking around. Found the problem and fixed it.

Make sure all the hoses are on really tight... Possibly clamp them down as well. Might just be hoses.

Which hoses are you talking about (location?)?

I would like to look into it.

Thanks for your help.

Which hoses are you talking about (location?)?

I would like to look into it.

Thanks for your help.

Mine were specifically the one that went from the IC to the (Manifold?/Headers?). And the one that went FROM the blue T connector to the (Manifold?/Headers?).

The hoses at the blue T connecter were on securely, which is why I wasnt thinking it was a loose/poped hose...

In order to check these things, you WILL have to take the IC off. Its not too hard to do, I was worried about doing it, but it was really easy. 3 bolts and 2 hoses that are connected to the BOV, and the one hose from the IC to the (Manifold?/Headers?).

All in all, it took about 40 min to take apart, clean up, zip tie, and put back together.

Archived