LegacyGT.com

08 Prices

Well, I am back (I last visited July '06) and have new questions. I was looking at the '09 VW Tiguan as my new car, but since they released the pricing and screwed us over because it is a complete ripoff, I am back looking at Subaru.

I'm wondering what usually you can get off MSRP (or below invoice) on both the 2.5i Limited, and the 2.5 GT Automatic (with VDC). I was just looking at another thread where they were selling new 2.5i ltd for 21 and change, which is awesome, but since my budget is just over 25k, I asked myself why not look at a GT? So is it possible at all to get otd on a '08 2.5 GT with VDC (so it has to be auto :() at around 25? MSRP is 30ish, and on the site here I saw 26 and change, which is sweet, but I need 25 and change.

Importantly, I will be buying around September, so I assume the '09 Legacy will be in, and they will try to clear the 08 out. I hope they really need to get rid of some '08....:) Sound possible?

Also (sorry) if the GT does not work out for any reason, I was wondering the 0-60 on the 2.5i Limited.

Thanks a ton!

Subie018 in Chicago

simple solution..... start saving $200/month until September and use that money as a down payment to put you in the 25 and change market....

I used the VIP program via my work (check to see if your's offers it) and got mine at invoice last September for 27 and change ... of course now with dealer incentives and such the prices are getting lower, so I don't think 25 and change is unreasonable, and since I feel more people want the 5spd with the GT, the Autos should be abundant.... There really aren't any options to add other than a spoiler and XM..... so if you can live with limited color choices, you should be good...

Best of luck... and you won't be disappointed... German Cars are a pain to work on.. even the littlest thing....

just for reference, here is the link where I found great deals:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85256&highlight=2008+GT+price

"MSRP: $ 30,440.00

Invoice: $ 28,452.00

LGT.COM Member Price: $ 26,357.00"

that's 2095 below invoice. Do you think it will be hard to get another 1k to get it off the lot in the fall? Seems like it can work.

btw I requested a quote from evanston subaru....we shall see...

simple solution..... start saving $200/month until September and use that money as a down payment to put you in the 25 and change market....

I used the VIP program via my work (check to see if your's offers it) and got mine at invoice last September for 27 and change ... of course now with dealer incentives and such the prices are getting lower, so I don't think 25 and change is unreasonable, and since I feel more people want the 5spd with the GT, the Autos should be abundant.... There really aren't any options to add other than a spoiler and XM..... so if you can live with limited color choices, you should be good...

Best of luck... and you won't be disappointed... German Cars are a pain to work on.. even the littlest thing....

thanks vr4...strange, your post just showed up now.

On a student's income (none) it's hard to save, but I've already saved $11,700, all of which will be going to the car. 'rents will chip in the rest.

As for options, VDC is a must. I don't need XM (I have an iPod and just regular FM) and I think the wing looks a bit....well, not as classy.

As long as it has a black interior (grey is preferred ext) I am ok.

But, if I can get a 2.5i Limited for 21,000-ish, I might as well spend the saved money on 18'' wheels or something. Maybe a Garmin too.

That said, is the power from the 2.5i adequate? I'm not going to be drag racing or anything, and if I want a really fast car I can take my dad's, but I don't want something dangerously slow (like a 9 second 0-60). I'd say anything in the mid to low 8's is ok. SportShift will help too. I don't care about stuff like sport seats, SI-Drive, or fancyier gauges so the equipment dosen't matter b/t the two models.

:confused:

Thanks!

I've had a 2.5i Limited since January and it's fine for highway driving. During the test drive, you'll feel a drop in power when it goes into third. However, I found that this went away as the transmission "learned" my driving style. Now, it's smooth all the way up the gears. And, yes, the Sportshift helps. I drive a Porsche on weekends, so I'm used to some speed and handling. The Limited isn't that, but it is a very satisfying car and I was going primarily for gas mileage and good value in making the choice.

For rockbottom published prices, check out Fitzgerald auto mall online and try to work from there with your local dealer. The best I could do on Long Island was $22,900 with compass/mirror and armrest extension. A lot of people have done better in other parts of the country.

Keep your eye on Subaru incentives, particularly when they start clearing out 2008 inventory. But I think you're going to have a hard time getting one for $5k under invoice.

I got my 06 at the end of the model year. Rebates were a little sweeter PLUS you get the special financing. The only downside was that selection is smaller...I got a Silver one delivered 220 miles up from Illinois. I really wanted a Black one.

Thanks for your input. Do you know what the 0-60 is offhand? Or maybe a guess?

So you feel that it has adequate power for merging and passing?

Along with some other posters, I'm guessing it's in the 8-9 second range. I spend part of my commute on an expressway and it's fine for entering, passing large trucks, etc. If you really step on it hard, you will find that the engine gets kind of thrashy and there's a limit to the power available. I like to drive fast and the car's very satisfying for me right up to around 80. However, at that speed in the wind, you will notice some instability. There are other threads on here about that issue.

I bought the limited primarily to get better gas mileage and keep AWD without making other major compromises after I traded my 15-mpg SUV. If I was willing to use premium gas, get lower mileage and do more frequent oil changes, I would have gone with an LGT. I think that model is a great value, too.

BTW, it looks like fitzmall.com doesn't have many Subarus these days. When I researched the car in January, they had 25-30 advertised. Good luck with your purchase.

The 2.5i isn't bad at all. It's no race car but has a lot of torque.

Go drive one, I think you'll be surprised.

+1

I have a 2005 2.5i with 5MT. It is "fast enough", considering gas prices, worsening trafic density and growing police repression here in Canada. In normal driving, the low-end torque makes the engine feel stronger than it is.

The 2.5i with 4-speed auto transmission is a major performance compromise. The transmission robs the engine of power and four speeds is not enough to get around flat spots in the powerband.

2.5i ====> manual transmission

automatic transmission ====> 2.5GT

sorrry meant the 2.5i Limited.

AND

just got an email back from Evanston Subaru:

"Dear ****,

Thanks for getting back to me. Can your time frame be moved up if i can get you under $26,000 now?"

That is for 2.5GT Automatic

!!!!

+1

The 2.5i with 4-speed auto transmission is a major performance compromise. The transmission robs the engine of power and four speeds is not enough to get around flat spots in the powerband.

2.5i ====> manual transmission

automatic transmission ====> 2.5GT

As I've posted here before, the flat spots pretty much go away as the transmission "learns" your driving style. The penalty is likely reduced gas mileage, since I average 21.7-22mpg on my daily commute. I would have bought a manual 2.5i Limited if one was offered.

Thanks all.

I want the limited model so I have to get an auto... but we shall see. I would really like an '08, but I would maybe consider a '07 or '06 GT if it was loaded. '05 aren't safe enough!

longislander1: check this out: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85256&highlight=2008+GT+price

What isn't safe in an 05'?

Just got back from the dealer. I sat in the one they had in the showroom and played around with it. I really like the interior, felt just right.

Didn't drive it, too wet. I want to see how it acts on dry pavement first.

Got mine (07 GT)from evan sub,in may last year just after 08's came out,got it for $4000 under invoice,or would have been $5000 under without apr incentive,and half price for any accessory installed(not sti gauges),so if you can wait till the 09's come out(very soon)theyll really want to get rid of the 08's.Evanston so far have been very good to deal with(I wasnt expecting this,they seem "shifty",but actually theyre not),stay away from mid city and schaumberg,autobahn in countryside and grand..? in naperville is also good to deal with from my experiences.

Got mine (07 GT)from evan sub,in may last year just after 08's came out,got it for $4000 under invoice,or would have been $5000 under without apr incentive,and half price for any accessory installed(not sti gauges),so if you can wait till the 09's come out(very soon)theyll really want to get rid of the 08's.Evanston so far have been very good to deal with(I wasnt expecting this,they seem "shifty",but actually theyre not),stay away from mid city and schaumberg,autobahn in countryside and grand..? in naperville is also good to deal with from my experiences.

wow! And that is exactly what I am going to do, since I don't need to buy until September.

I was at NS Subaru in HP, and I asked "what I can get off these"...he said 2,000-2,500.....I had to stop myself from laughing. I think I will go to Evanston when it's time to buy.....who already offered me 5,000 +......

how was the selection? I want automatic and a black interior, that is all!

Guest heightsgtltd
Interesting. I wonder if that had to do with the earlier malfunctioning air bags.. I thought I read other tests that did not rate them as marginal when I bought mine :iam:

Archived