LegacyGT.com

JL 10w0 Blown/Burnt Voice Coil??? HELP!!! Blowing amps

cfdrumr

Hey. So I got my JL sub in a box for cheap about a month ago. ($40)

It sounded great. One day I noticed it was buzzing a lot and I noticed the rubber surround had separated in a few places so I spent an hour and touched it up with some glue...fixed the buzz.

Yesterday the sub stopped working. I thought it was the amp (Alpine MRP-M450), so I had it replaced with a brand new MRP-M500. I plugged it in but insted of running it to the sub, i just tested to make sure it was working with a bookshelf speaker and it was sending signal. I then plugged in the JL and no sound...then swapped and the bookshelf made no sound.

If i try to push the JL cone, it is very scratchy and a little hard to push in... symptoms of a blown coil.

Could the blown coil be shorting out my amps? I am going to take the new alpine amp back today and get another... ($25 4 year full replacement)

if the two leads that used to be separated are now touching causing the scratching and friction, your amp would be seeing a dead short...causing blown fuses or maybe worse... I've never blown an amp from blown speakers but I would assume it would be possible....

• 3 weeks later...
it ended up I had a bad ground to the amp!

Good detective work. It's hard to find stuff like that when you assume your connections are good. Make sure you sand down the paint to bare metal for your ground.

PS: Tool rocks out....I love Push It on that album. I can't listen to it too often or I'll kill something

Archived