LegacyGT.com

What's the best choice for coilovers?

BlueRvrGT

I'm looking for input/opinions/experience on choosing different coilovers for install in LGTs. There's quite a few to choose from: Tein Flex, Cusco Zero 2E, etc. etc. Why pick one over the other (cost is already considered)? Electronic controls--are they worth it? This application would be for a DD that sees some track time and road challenges during the summer months.

Let me hear from you guys. School me!

Thanks!

I am having BC racing regulars installed next week. Will do a test write up then. The Bc's seem to provide the best bang for the buck.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I have GPMoto (can't get now...except maybe through Austrailia (HDS, Korea, is the manufacturer I believe), etc.), that I think may be similar to MR. (http://www.otomoto.com.au/HDSystems/)

I purchased additional springs (various rates) from an Austrailian vendor. I've really liked the setup. Good daily driver, and I can crank it up (dampening and change out spring rate if I want) at the track for a weekend.

I was concerned about coilovers being to harsh for a daily driver, but if you set things up right (spring rates (I use 6k F, 7k R for daily), etc.) and don't mind a bit of a sporty ride, I've come to really like them.

Thanks. I'm curious to know how one shock compares to another. BC vs, say Tein, or Cusco. Run either of these???

Things you should look at when buying a coilover:

1. suspension travel

2. valving characteristics

3. construction quality and longevity

4. after sale technical support

5. rebuild facilities

6. range of adjustability (not number of clicks....this doesn't mean much)

- Andrew

Thanks. I'm curious to know how one shock compares to another. BC vs, say Tein, or Cusco. Run either of these???

In short, the key to a good coilover is if the coilover fits your needs first. It's obvious that a coilover that is designed for rally/off-road use will be better on areas that have large changes in pavement height like dips and uneven ruts while a road race suspension are great for short height pavements (i.e. smoother surfaces).

So once you figure out your "terrain", then you can look into the spring rates and how the valving matches to the spring rate. It's obvious that you don't want the spring to be stronger/stiffer than the shock and vice versa. A good shock and spring setup within a coilover will give you a very controlled and very responsive drive.

Some companies may not spend as much research and development time compared to others. Some companies are specialized over certain terrains more so than others. Even within the same company, they can offer different types of coilovers for your car (similar to buying tires for your car, like buying winter tires for snow situations, or summer tires for more dry days for more grip).

You should take some time in reading online overall of all the different aspects so you can have some non-biased opinions and better yet, facts of how suspension works and the different kind of setups that are out there. Avoid reading manufacturer's advertisements, rather, read up on race rulesa and various race designs of how they came about. Once you understand this much, then you decide what kind of coilover that fits your needs. There's no sense in you buying a 4-way adjustable shocks when you are not even racing or doing road track time trials race events that have a grand prize of $10,000. There's a lot of coilovers out there.

None of us can truly say one is the best because everyone has their own needs and it's truly based on the conditions of the roads you are dealing with.

You should look into which of the 3 items have the highest priority. It's obviously that a daily driver setup at the track isn't going to give you the control and response that you may need on the track, and vice versa when you have a race-winning suspension that will eventually get beaten up way faster when you drive it on not-so-smooth public roads everyday.

The Cusco Zero 2Rs on the Impreza 2.5RS I race is great out on the track/autox, but it's just ok for daily driving. I dont like driving the Impreza on the public roads because it's basically beating up the coilovers' valves.

While my Zeal Function V6s coilovers on my Legacy GT have the standard valving and standard version of springs (not the race/hard version), I'm not getting the best response when I track the car, but it's no where near medicore by any means on the track. If I was looking for the extra 0.5 second to 1 second faster lap times or need to step up my level of competition and sacrifice the ride comfort for daily driving, then I would have bought the hard/race version of the Zeal Function V6s.

Re-evaluate your needs, then I can tell you what you should be looking for. When it comes to doing track days in all honesty, you should look at your budget first and then set a goal of how much performance you want to get and set other performance goals that you can achieve and work from there. The more you know about what you want, the easier it is to pick out the correct suspension that meets your needs.

Keefe

I've been extremely satisfied with my KW v2's! Awesome control + a still-comfortable drive.

Yes, just remember that you can obtain even more control than what you already have. The original poster of this thread has to know where he needs to draw the line of what is 'ok' for him as a daily driver vs. the amount of control you want.

As for me, I drive on DOT race tires to work everyday to make my handling experience even more awesome. It's nice to know that I don't have to listen to screeching tires when I take an off-ramp.

Keefe

Archived