LegacyGT.com

Coilover Rebuild help

Mr. Ed

So ksport sent me a new strut assembly, now what do I do...haha:lol:

anyone know what type of place I could take this to to have them swapped, or know of a good walkthrough for instruction

Well for starter you want to take the blown strut assembly off the car. I can't say this needs a walkthrough since its kinda straight forward. Do you have to replace the front or back?....I'm thinking its a front strut...Ksport is on Rev. C for their front struts...
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

yup..it is a front strut. they have actually been off the car for a few months now. Taking them off was the first time I had ever done anything suspension related to a car so I'd say I'm a newb at the coilover thing.

that part was simple...the first half of rebuilding the blown strut was pretty straight forward, I didn't realize they were so easy/didn't require a spring compressor....

the only road block is the nut up top, I don't have an impact wrench )% and it no move.. so I will either throw it in the vice or stop by someone's shop tomorrow to fix it.

If you have access to an impact wrench then use it. If not then (providing you have Rev. C) use an allen wrench in the hole on top of the the strut shaft with a box wrench to secure the nut. Make sure you also use a new self locking nut on top or it will back out....trust me on this one.....lol

Maybe....Ksport should have given you a new one with the new strut. Are you going to use the vise on the new strut? You don't want it to damage the strut shaft or threads..

I'll try and pick up a new nut..home depot???

Don't use generic nylock nuts from home depot... you need to use rated fasteners. Go to a shop that carries proper graded nuts/bolts.

I used a generic nylock nut from home depot on my aftermarket endlinks - they pulled through/stripped the threads in a half day of driving...

Maybe....Ksport should have given you a new one with the new strut. Are you going to use the vise on the new strut? You don't want it to damage the strut shaft or threads..

no no, just to get the old one off...of course not, and no, they did not provide a new nut.

I'm not sure I understand why one is needed...I could understand if it were a nylon lock nut but it isn't. The thing looks to be completely Brass or stainless..properly torqued it should not come off.

Archived