what's up with the tranny  

20 members have voted

1. 1. what's up with the tranny

• don't race, no problems
    • I beat up Civics, no problem
    • My tranny hates the track
    • My tranny sucks and I drive like an old lady
    • Get a Huffy and be happy.

coming from the WRX world there were many stories of people having tranny problems. They are referred to as the glass-jaw transmission, many had syncro failure on 1 & 2 gears and many just broke gears when racing. I was wondering if many people experience the same thing on the 5 speed Legacies, particularly those who drag race their cars

Yea I'm pretty sure it's the same as the STI does anyone know why the shift throws are so much longer on my tranny than on WRXs or is that all legacy's. I really need a short shifter I feel like I'm driving an 18 wheeler and I miss and grind gears when speed shifting.

for what it's worth I am not the fastest shifter either, I ran my WRX at the track a total of 15 runs and I was always scared to really force the shifter from 1 to 2 but I did flat shift a few times and that sped up my shifting tremendously.

Unfortunately my 1/4 best was still pathetic.

what kind of 60 foot times do you usually pull, also is the launch a 5.5-6k clutch slip?

The track was rained out two times since I've had the clutch. I only may it out to one day and I sucked :lol: was scared to launch over 4k and kept bogging out. Stock clutch I would quick step at 4K and pull 1.8's on the re92's:eek:. This next trip (4/26)I will set launch control at 5K and let her rip! With LC on the street it gets me a bit sideways on my 19's wrap in Michelin PS2's....

The track was rained out two times since I've had the clutch. I only may it out to one day and I sucked :lol: was scared to launch over 4k and kept bogging out. Stock clutch I would quick step at 4K and pull 1.8's on the re92's:eek:. This next trip (4/26)I will set launch control at 5K and let her rip! With LC on the street it gets me a bit sideways on my 19's wrap in Michelin PS2's....

Good for you, if I did that on my WRX I would be picking up gear pieces from the track. It's nice to know that the trannies are stouter. The best I managed on the WRX was a 2.0 60 foot time.

I was able to pull consistent 1.8-1.9 60 ft with my wrx back in the day with the Vishnu stage 0, and pulled a best 13.3. My leggy on the other hand would pull a 2.0 pretty consistent with a slipping clutch, this at stage 1. Now im at stage 2.5, no more launching for me!

My tranny bit the big one last summer.. and yes I drive my car hard all the time.. the street, dragstrip, highway, driveway.. wherever.. I have gotten sideways pulling into my driveway a couple times.. fun fun!

Everything accept the drivetrain and the cheap ass shock/struts on my car has been great.

My tranny bit the big one last summer.. and yes I drive my car hard all the time.. the street, dragstrip, highway, driveway.. wherever.. I have gotten sideways pulling into my driveway a couple times.. fun fun!

I hope they make the freaking virtual dyno for the Accessports, I am pretty sure it would just be v2, I want launch control but dont want a new accessport just for that, but if it had the dyno capability, ill be getting one.

oops.. i didnt mean to quote myself.. that was supposed to be an edit.. my bad!

Archived