LegacyGT.com

Painted the Factory Grille

HTownLegacy

No, I just left the plastice part alone. I only sanded the chrome. Now if you wanted it to look "all one color" then you could paint the plastic part as well.

I would love to do this, the factory grille is starting to annoy me. How did you get the chrome pieces off? Pry them off?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can't wait to see pics of this hutru01. Are you just doing the wings or the surround as well? I've got two cans of thar FUSION right here.
If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

Hutru01, Thanks I did get your weather. Hopefully it's all done and I have tomorrow off work. Maybe I'll do this. But, I have a few other things to get done. Some of which are on the car. (Fix lip, Front spats,Hd radio install, remount Basslink, mount remote knob...)
If I'm going faster than you, Move Right.

I bought 2 cans of Satin Black - Krylon Fusion today along with Matte Clearcoat finish.

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/0592543.jpghttp://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/464560_front200.jpg

In additinon, I bought 150 grit and 320 grit sandpaper to sand the chrome down. I am going to be matching the the foglight covers along with the grill.

I bought the same exact cans from Walmart yesterday haha

Right now, I am trying to figure out how to get to the fog light covers. Any suggestions? I might just get a fog light set in black anyways

I did something similar with the chromed rings on an Audi a few years ago -- but I used black underbody paint, the rubberized stuff. It worked surprisingly well, particularly in resisting chipping, and it responded to Armorall and cousins the same way the surrounding black plastic did.

I'm not going to recommend this without some reservations, but the more adventuresome may want to give it a try. HPH

Alright guys, apparently my dremel skills are not up to par. I tried to sand the chrome down with 120 grit and it just didn't seem to want to come off, so I got the dremel out, and started to sand it down. I started to realize how much of a PITA this really is. Therefore, I went ahead and attempted to cut out the wings as I did last year on my previous LGT and completely butchered it. I am kinda pissed, but at the same time, even though its going to cost me, I am going to have to just by a new grill. I am sorry guys, I wanted to do a walkthrough, but I guess a DIY grill wasn't in store for me. All I can tell you is that if you want to attempt this, be ready to sand the crap out of the chrome. It is a real pain in the ass and not worth 4 hours of my time.

Good luck to those who attempt this DIY mod. I didn't have the skills today.

I will try to put a walkthrough together next week, I will have to take the grille off to apply another coat of paint. Getting the grille off the car is a pain in itself.

really? i think the grill is the easiest part of the car to remove.

I would love to do this, the factory grille is starting to annoy me. How did you get the chrome pieces off? Pry them off?

After removing the grill which requires the removal of two popits and two bolts search the lower section of the grill for the tabs that hold it in its place. After you lift the tabs up pull backwards.

To remove the two chrome wings I would unscrew them and they should come off with maybe a little effort.

So I got hit on my rear quarter panel and the (reputable) shop told me $50 per piece when I asked about having other pieces painted DGM, such as the grill and maybe the 08 fogs.

Should I be overly concerned about them painting the grill? I'm thinking wings and surround in order to remove all the "chrome" except the badge ring... From following this thread, it seems like the "chrome" is not the easiest to paint "right" but would a body shop have these issues? I thought I would be fine and everything would be color-matched without worry of chipping... But, should I be concerned since this isn't a prepainted piece?

• 5 weeks later...
unfortunately for me (but fortunate for this topic) i work at a body shop and have access the the materials needed. i used a cutting disc to remove the grille innards, then sanded down with red, then gray scotch-brite, ALL OVER, chrome WAS a mofo, but got it down, primer, and plan on having it in the booth to be sprayed and cleared this week. i had to go back and rework the corners as some of the fiberglass used showed signs of cracking (too much hardener) but was able to use some skim coat (bondo glaze) to recover the areas. primer went on smooth, and im assuming paint and clear will as well. hopefully have pictures up this week of finished product. sorry, didn't think to take pics and do a walk thru as i thought some others has already. sand like a beeyatch, then primer ALWAYS, never hurts to use etch coat/guide coat ( or just flat black sprayed lightly ) over surfaces to find imperfections and rough, uneven surfaces.:eek:

My Car

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee78/htownlegacy/Legacy%20GT/LegacyGrille.jpg

...Let me know what you think!

I think there is more than one SWP in Maryland that looks like your car now :lol:

Archived