LegacyGT.com

Favorite Driving Roads in DC/MD/VA Area

oddseth

I know a similar thread was started in the Legacy section, but I wanted to see where our local Mid-A Legacy drivers like to have some fun. I have been in the DC area for 8 years or so and have had a very difficult time finding nice twisty roads with decent pavement, and reasonable traffic. My favorite roads are:

• VA-193 Georgetown Pike - I go hiking and climbing in great falls and have just as much fun getting there on this windy road with great elevation changes. The only problem is slow moving traffic and soccer moms in their huge SUV's.
  • Knox Avenue, Cockeysville, MD - This back country rode is full of twisties and while narrow, there is rarely any traffic (mostly people who live along the road). The only downside is that it is relatively short.
  • Greenspring Valley Road, Baltimore, MD (between Garrison Forrest Road and Greenspring Ave) - Mixes higher speed straights with hard braking and slow corners on a relatively long strip of road. Again, we have slow moving soccer moms and the threat of deer running across the road after dark on this road.
  • VA 81 - Best road for cruising in and out of the mountains and breathtaking views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The one downside on this road is the huge amount of truckers, but they are sometimes fun to play with.

Worst road ever - 66! Slow drivers in the left lane, aggressive drivers in trucks and SUVs, and traffic 18 hours out of the day!!

beulah road in vienna to rte. 7 is fun for a quick jaunt at safe speeds- really close to tysons corner

I almost forgot about beulah - it is one of those fun little back roads that I take to get from Sunset Hills to route 7 when the toll road is messy on my way home!

608 and 218 in Stafford VA are fun. 218 (White Oak Road) especially.

Beach Mill in Great Falls is kind of nice as well, if not short. Not as much traffic as 193, but more residential.

I'm from McLean originally, but had been in Colorado for the past 5.5 years. I wish we had roads like I had in and around Boulder.

I agree on Georgetown pike. Very fun road, but usually there is a good mix of traffic on it. Snickersville Turnpike is a great road with excellent scenery, twisties, etc. Skyline Drive is a great drive and lastly I love driving on George Washington Parkway to get into DC.

There are some more roads that I love more, but you would need an offroad SUV to get up the mountain, through the mud, rocks, streams, etc.

I know a similar thread was started in the Legacy section, but I wanted to see where our local Mid-A Legacy drivers like to have some fun. I have been in the DC area for 8 years or so and have had a very difficult time finding nice twisty roads with decent pavement, and reasonable traffic. My favorite roads are:

• VA-193 Georgetown Pike - I go hiking and climbing in great falls and have just as much fun getting there on this windy road with great elevation changes. The only problem is slow moving traffic and soccer moms in their huge SUV's.
  • Knox Avenue, Cockeysville, MD - This back country rode is full of twisties and while narrow, there is rarely any traffic (mostly people who live along the road). The only downside is that it is relatively short.
  • Greenspring Valley Road, Baltimore, MD (between Garrison Forrest Road and Greenspring Ave) - Mixes higher speed straights with hard braking and slow corners on a relatively long strip of road. Again, we have slow moving soccer moms and the threat of deer running across the road after dark on this road.
  • VA 81 - Best road for cruising in and out of the mountains and breathtaking views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The one downside on this road is the huge amount of truckers, but they are sometimes fun to play with.

Worst road ever - 66! Slow drivers in the left lane, aggressive drivers in trucks and SUVs, and traffic 18 hours out of the day!!

I live right near greenspring valley road. There is a very very nice one mile road called Bonita avenue right before garrison forest that is amazing. Also many great back roads out there in the country off butler road.

Maryland's Suby friendly Realtor. My favorite suby shop:

http://www.IAGPerformance.com

Bonita is another great one that I almost forgot about (my parents live in that area but I haven't lived there for 8 years or so). What a great road, all the way down to that kind of scary one lane bridge. My friend had a lime green Honda Civic Del Sol that he wrecked on that road when he took it too hard in the wet one night. After making sure he was ok, I made fun of him for not only owning a lime green Del Sol, but also for wrecking it!

I have a strict don't ask/don't tell policy when it comes to friends driving cars like the Del Sol. JK, we call my friend Murderer Brad and he has murdered 3 cars in his 9 year driving career, ok one was a suicide (radiator died in his Camry) but he hasn't had a very good track record with driving well.

Bonita is another great one that I almost forgot about (my parents live in that area but I haven't lived there for 8 years or so). What a great road, all the way down to that kind of scary one lane bridge. My friend had a lime green Honda Civic Del Sol that he wrecked on that road when he took it too hard in the wet one night. After making sure he was ok, I made fun of him for not only owning a lime green Del Sol, but also for wrecking it!

A couple of months ago, when I had my Jeep SRT8, I hung with last gen m5 on bonita, he was pissed. I practically built my first two WRX's for that road alone. The elevation changes and tight corners make it a very awesome time.

Also, there was a cayanne that had gone off bonita and was on its roof on fire one time. The fire trucks made me go the other way.

Maryland's Suby friendly Realtor. My favorite suby shop:

http://www.IAGPerformance.com

HEhe, I remember my first car - a 97' grand prix se, white with gold rims. Had tons of torque but of course the nasty understeering attitude of a front wheel drive car. It was, however, fairly lightweight for such a large car (3300 lbs curb weight) and had nice steering. I remember one time understeering into a ditch in the rain with some friends in the car. Oh, the memories of high school. Whenever I go to visit my parents now, I always go out of my way to hit bonita.

Skyline drive for scenery - not for speed as the park police like strict adherence.

39 through Goshen Pass near Lexington

220 through Monterey

33 from Harrisonburg back to Richmond, scenic and twisty through the mountains.

220 through Rocky Mount to Martinsville - twisty and not well enforced outside of towns

I81 is ok. Avoid on Friday nights and Sunday nights. Peak Tractor volumes.

Riverside Drive in Richmond - poorly paved, heavily populated, but lots of twisties. I heard this was well raced in the late 80's..

Old Gun Road in Chesterfield County

I77 south of Blacksburg into NC - very scenic, not heavily patrolled. Some troopers very forgiving even.

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

Archived