LegacyGT.com

AWD Shudder Problems

Makes sense, but if it isn't it may be that the FWD solenoid has stuck in pulled position (dirt?), or that the clutch pack is incorrectly assembled.

Maybe something as simple as a broken spring.

One simple test would be to jack up the car completely and start it and see if any power at all is transferred to the rear axle when in gear. Just make sure the car is safely jacked up.

453747.png

I'll have to check that fwd actuator or solenoid. i did test run it up on jackstands before I even put it down, no power transferred to the rear wheels.

I guess I'll keep looking.

keep the good ideas coming, guys! they are making me think.

thanks,

Kurt

• 11 months later...

i dont think mine is so much of a awd shutter, well i dont think so anyhow cause sometimes when i am driving down the highway bout 55 or higher sometimes the front end vibrates very bad.i feel it all in the steering wheel mostly. it seems to happen more when i give it alot of gas. thought maybe it would be the rack but i only know or those shaking like that when u would hit a bump in the road. u can pull over, stop and take off again and it disappears. sometimes it does it and sometimes it dont. the inner tie rods have minimul play and thats it, not enough that i would think would cause this major shaking. it does have an awd problem but i think i have already figured that out by reading the other post and i believe its between the clutch pack and solinoid. anyone got any ideas?

thanks, dwayne

Dwayne: That doesn't sound very comforting. Yours has nothing to do with the transmission if it's only in the front end and you can feel it in the steering wheel, I'd take a look at the front wheels/wheel bearings to see what's causing that. The fact that it goes away once you pull over and continue on does not sound very good...

Subacy: NOT having a fuse in it is normal AWD operation. If you put a fuse in there, 10a IIRC, it will disengage the center diff, making the car FWD only. It's for dyno testing for emissions purposes.

There is a way to check and see if the clutch packs are receiving fluid if you have a pressure guage. Its just like doing a line pressure test on the tranny. There is a port on top of the rear tailhousing, that should tell you if you are getting pressure. The clutches may be so worn out that they will not engage at all. The front end vibrating issue sounds like it could be loose wheel bearing, loose wheel, bent wheel, out of balanced tire of maybe a broken belt in the tire. Try rotating your tires and see if the issue goes away or if it moves to the rear. Remember, Subaru recomends cross rotating rear tires and moving front tires straight back, that is if you dont have directional tires.

Dwayne: That doesn't sound very comforting. Yours has nothing to do with the transmission if it's only in the front end and you can feel it in the steering wheel, I'd take a look at the front wheels/wheel bearings to see what's causing that. The fact that it goes away once you pull over and continue on does not sound very good...

Subacy: NOT having a fuse in it is normal AWD operation. If you put a fuse in there, 10a IIRC, it will disengage the center diff, making the car FWD only. It's for dyno testing for emissions purposes.

oh thats cool. thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not very good at all, but the wheel bearings in the front was both replaced to elimate that idea. that was the first thing that i did. i am gonna replace the ball joints inner and tie rods plus install 4 new tires. i will post details later if problem is still there or is gone.

• 7 months later...

Dwayne: I had a symptoms just like that years ago, was a tie rod. It only takes a little bit of play sometimes to make a big problem.

I'm dealing with some AWD shudder of my own right now. Car was sitting for 3 years. It drove nice and smooth in FWD mode. Flushed my transmission but still clunking (in AWD). Going to pick up some diff fluid tomorrow and flush the rear. Wish me luck.

I just bought my first Subaru, I seem to have this same issue. A couple of questions:

First: Will the vehicle be damaged if I run it in FWD for extended periods?

Second: If a tranny flush does not work, do I read correctly the ofending parts (solenoid and clutch plates) can be removed-changed-replaced from the back of the tranny while it is installed in the vehicle (appropriate jackstands and proper safe mechanic skills used).

THX for your help! This is a fine vehicle, however it will take me a while to understand the way Subaru builds cars... :iam:

Is your car an auto? It sounds like a bad MPT. If it goes away when you put the fuse. I have done several of these at work. It's not a cheap repair. The back of the trans has to come apart. In parts at my dealer it's $900.

I am new to Subaru's, and I seem to have a similar issue... What is an MPT? THX!!

I had a similar issue in my low mileage 4eat and a BG Universal ATF flush cured the problem. Here is my thread about my experience...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bg-transmission-flush-my-4eat-144687.html?t=144687&highlight=atf+4eat+flush

Only 25k miles on the OEM fluid after 4 years. This seems to be a fairly common issue and I am thinking that the old OEM 4eat fluid is crap and that is why Subuaru is switching to the ATF-HP fluid in all of their transmissions.

Archived