LegacyGT.com

E-Dead V1/Sound deadening question

ean611

I didn't see this in the sound deadening FAQ, so I would like to ask frequent board members, any experince with E-Dead V1? I've seen recomendations elsewhere, and I purchased some on that advice.

I'm planning on using this on most of the interior areas. Anyone have any expereince with this or recomendations?

The final install will have an Alpine PXE-H650, Rockford Type RF X4.C, Kicker ZR240, Boston Z6's in front, Pro6's in Rear, Kicker CompVR 10 in the trunk. Both amps and sub in the spare tire well. I'll post pics if people are interested (both of e-dead and install)

I have some E-dead in my garage right now that my friend let me use. It's not bad but it isn't as good as Second Skin Damplifier....not as good by a long shot.

I use damplifier and wouldn't consider using anything else unless it was given to me like the E dead. Damplifier is over twice as thick so you only really need one layer unless you are a freak like me and then 2 is ALMOST good enough :spin:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

I've used the stuff, fortunately not on any of my own vehicles. The original is asphalt based and is known to suffer from seperation of the constraining layer and the asphaltic based mat, causing a drippy gooey brown mess when it gets hot inside the car. Not everyone experiences this, but MANY people have.

If it is the V1^2 version , or the newer butyl based designed, it has it's own set of problems. While it won't leave brown goo puddles, like the original, it is known to have problems with the constraining layer seperating from the mat itself. To top it off they used mylar instead of foil to reduce manufacturing costs, which does nothing to help the damping properties. The only nice thing I can say about E-dead is that it is easy to work with. Beyond that it is utter garbage.

RAAMmat makes an awesome, not much more expensive alternative, although it not the easiest mat I've ever worked with. It can be somewhat messy while applying. As mentioned the Second Skin product is one of the best around, albeit a bit pricey, but still cheaper than paying retail on Dynamat.

biz77, the link you listed thinks that eDead is a very good budget item. I'm curious at this gooey brown mess you talk about, as the temerature test on www.sounddeadenershowdown.com shows eDead to have a high temperature tolerance when comparedto Dynamat and B-Quiet Extreme.

What conditions did you see the melting eDead?

the v1 works okay, IMO a bit too thin, i have been using hte edead UE exclusively for hte psat two years...much better IMO :)

Don's sounddeadener show down is abit old, and i think its based on the original edead, not hte newer butyl based v1 and no the UE...

Thanks for the update 16psibrick. The V1 seems thin, however, at that price, I think i can still use it. Some areas don't need the thickness, while others do.

I also was reading about how asphault based stuff is bad, so the conformation that edead is butyl is good.

the UE appears to be 3x cost for 3x thickness and 3x mass, pretty linear gain.

I'll have pics soon, and I can post pics of the results if people are interested.

I'm tellin ya; it's worth the extra coin for the Second Skin stuff. I've talked with the owner a few times, Anthony, and he's cool as hell. I would give him a call and see what he has to say. He might give you a discount on your first purchase. He gave me a free roller to apply the stuff.

One thing I should mention is that most of the brands recommend thoroughly clean the surface for better bonding. Personally, if it's not junked up with dirt or whatever I don't clean it and I've never had a problem with Damplifier not sticking. I've never had a piece come off...ever

biz77, the link you listed thinks that eDead is a very good budget item. I'm curious at this gooey brown mess you talk about, as the temerature test on www.sounddeadenershowdown.com shows eDead to have a high temperature tolerance when comparedto Dynamat and B-Quiet Extreme.

What conditions did you see the melting eDead?

Read the article again! He recommends you use Peel & Seal from the hardware store if you are thinking of using an asphalt based deadener, since it is the SAME stuff and the hardware stuff is cheaper.

As to the brown mess, take a look at the temperature testing pages of the link provided. You will see all of the asphalt based mats fail in the same way, whether they are the outdated craptastic Dynamat original, the edead V1 or the lame B-quiet. They turn into a gooey brown mess and begin to slide down the testing panel. Look at the butyl based mats. They fail by simply detaching from the panel, leaving behind a small trace of where they were instead of the gooey brown snail track. Look at the temperature difference between where the butyl mats fail and where the asphalt based mats fail. BIG difference!

Keep in mind this testing doesn't really apply to the newer version of Edead, since it is now butyl based. Unfortunately, as I stated earlier, the newer version has its own set of problems with the constraining layer detaching from the butyl.

Let us not forget about Elemental Designs' questionable business practices as well.

Let me ask you a question....is that something you "heard" or is it something that happened to you? I realize they were doing some pretty stupid stuff like a couple of years ago but I think they have their act together now. They seem to be a solid company at the moment. I've ordered quite a few things from them and haven't ever had a problem.

No I didn't get ripped off by ED personally. I didn't need to to know I want nothing to do with a company that's stolen designs, been caught lying about products and won't accept any form of criticism on their message boards.

I often hear it was in the past but the same douchebag is running the company so I doubt much has really changed.

I'm not trying to spread hate. I have heard good things about some of their products but they don't really have anything so special IMO that you couldn't get from a more reputable manufacturer. I, and many others, will not give them my business on principle.

To ean611, I have the eDeadv2 stuff (non-asphalt based), and though it is on the thin side, I was able to get 100sq ft of it for $80 using a coupon code they have in their forum. I have one layer on the innerside of the door skin, plus two layers on the door's inner frame. It has made a noticeable difference in performance. I haven't used the damplifier product, so I can't compare.

No I didn't get ripped off by ED personally. I didn't need to to know I want nothing to do with a company that's stolen designs, been caught lying about products and won't accept any form of criticism on their message boards.

I often hear it was in the past but the same douchebag is running the company so I doubt much has really changed.

I'm not trying to spread hate. I have heard good things about some of their products but they don't really have anything so special IMO that you couldn't get from a more reputable manufacturer. I, and many others, will not give them my business on principle.

Totally understandable. Most of their stuff isn't groundbreaking but it's really cheap so it's worth it sometimes. The enclosures they build are a good deal. I always have to out-price them when building for customers :rolleyes:

i see the usual hate is everywhere, including on here. You are fully entitled to your opinion of course, but i am assuming you are just a regular consumer and are basing your opinions here on hearsay from other people similar to you and what you see and perceive from ED?

Thats fine of course. I have been on the industry side of the 12v business side for a long time now, and i know, of ocurse, all the ED guys personally, and also many other companies...

and the issue i see with your opinion is this: Sure, Ed's certain behaviors and practices may not seem like very good, but if you were on the industry side, you would see that what they do, is not uncommon at all, infact, companies in car audio have been doing similar things for hte past two decades, if not longer. BUt since ED is a web direct company, their "issues" gets exposed to the world wide web of forums and discussions and they get singled out...

its funny, when we have had little conversation at CES or other industry conventions on Ed and what people say they do, most of hte responses from industry veterans is soething like "oh yeah? well who doesnt lol" Are their manufactuers that dont suffer from this? in a asense, yes and no. yes in the sense that they treat their consumers differently and presents a very good reputation through and through, but no in the sense that virtually every successful company, has done something in the past that may have offended someone else, whether you talk of stealing designs, or intellectual property, or bad warranty or etc...but again they hide it well :)

an example? Even wonder why the head of Genesis and DLS still refuses to talk to each other? :) How about Arc / image dyanmics / Zapco? any issues between those manufacturers? i wont go into details...but if knew half hte stuff that goes on in the 12v world, what ED does wouldnt offend you nearly as much hehe

thats all :)

i see the usual hate is everywhere, including on here. You are fully entitled to your opinion of course, but i am assuming you are just a regular consumer and are basing your opinions here on hearsay from other people similar to you and what you see and perceive from ED?

Thats fine of course. I have been on the industry side of the 12v business side for a long time now, and i know, of ocurse, all the ED guys personally, and also many other companies...

and the issue i see with your opinion is this: Sure, Ed's certain behaviors and practices may not seem like very good, but if you were on the industry side, you would see that what they do, is not uncommon at all, infact, companies in car audio have been doing similar things for hte past two decades, if not longer. BUt since ED is a web direct company, their "issues" gets exposed to the world wide web of forums and discussions and they get singled out...

its funny, when we have had little conversation at CES or other industry conventions on Ed and what people say they do, most of hte responses from industry veterans is soething like "oh yeah? well who doesnt lol" Are their manufactuers that dont suffer from this? in a asense, yes and no. yes in the sense that they treat their consumers differently and presents a very good reputation through and through, but no in the sense that virtually every successful company, has done something in the past that may have offended someone else, whether you talk of stealing designs, or intellectual property, or bad warranty or etc...but again they hide it well :)

an example? Even wonder why the head of Genesis and DLS still refuses to talk to each other? :) How about Arc / image dyanmics / Zapco? any issues between those manufacturers? i wont go into details...but if knew half hte stuff that goes on in the 12v world, what ED does wouldnt offend you nearly as much hehe

thats all :)

"Everyone does it" isn't really a legitimate excuse IMO but I absolutely agree ED is not alone. The industry is full of shady characters. If I had known a little more about CDT's deceptive practices I would have been more reluctant to purchase my CLS60As when I did.

My biggest problem with ED is they seem to ban anyone from their forum that has any criticism of their products or practices. It seems to me that a company trying to improve or maintain it's reputation would be willing to address constructive criticism instead of trying to ignore it or push it off as "pure hate".

"Everyone does it" isn't really a legitimate excuse IMO but I absolutely agree ED is not alone. The industry is full of shady characters. If I had known a little more about CDT's deceptive practices I would have been more reluctant to purchase my CLS60As when I did.

My biggest problem with ED is they seem to ban anyone from their forum that has any criticism of their products or practices. It seems to me that a company trying to improve or maintain it's reputation would be willing to address constructive criticism instead of trying to ignore it or push it off as "pure hate".

that part i will agree with, i dont agree with the banning of people from forums, with a few exceptions, but, keep in mind that it is also, one of hte few forums that is acutally directly part of a company.

what i mean si, if you compare diyma or caf or elite, its not really the same. try going to zapco forums or image dynamics forums and start just saying bad stuff about certain products in their line up, see if they will bann you as well?

I think icix should just be a totally seprate entity. but again, withit being affiliated with ED, you sorta have to expect it :)

16psibrick, I'm curious, what are the "accousations" here against ED?

Also, if people are interested, I'll work on posting the trunk pics tonight. I just spent 8 hours installing 30sq ft of e-dead V1^2 in my trunk. The spare tire well, trunk lid, and virtually all bare metal is covered. I beleive all serviceable parts are still accessible.

16psibrick, it's not that big a deal. I just used 30 sq ft of edead to do the first stage of my install, pics are up here http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84967

E-dead seemed easy enough to apply, and while people like thickness, the thinness (45 mil) came in handy for parts, as it was easy to get under trim peices. For some places, two layers took care of teh thickness issue. I don't hear that much of a difference driving, but until I finish the whole car, I don't expect much. I did notice that my engine noise seems more "forwared biased" though :p

16psibrick, it's not that big a deal. I just used 30 sq ft of edead to do the first stage of my install, pics are up here http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84967

E-dead seemed easy enough to apply, and while people like thickness, the thinness (45 mil) came in handy for parts, as it was easy to get under trim peices. For some places, two layers took care of teh thickness issue. I don't hear that much of a difference driving, but until I finish the whole car, I don't expect much. I did notice that my engine noise seems more "forwared biased" though :p

In all honesty you probably won't notice much difference in the noise floor of your vehicle by just slapping copious amounts of sound deadener everywhere. The product you are using was really meant to be a damper and not a sound-blocker. It was designed to work by adding mass and control resonance. If you are looking to keep road noise out of the interior you really need to turn to some type of closed-cell phone or similar material.

Damping products from the likes of Second Skin, RAAMmat and Dynamat Extreme provide better blocking properties due to thier use of a foil constraining layer versus the mylar backing found on the current E-dead product. Your best bang-for-the-buck for limiting road noise would be something like the Ensolite that RAAMmat sells to go over the top of what you have already done.

At least the ensolite is very reasonable in cost compared to any of the mat. I, like you hardly noticed a difference after applying RAAMmat, but applying the ensolite made a much more noticeable difference, especially in the doors.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/biz77/Legacy%20GT%20audio/Deadening/Raammattrunk2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/biz77/Legacy%20GT%20audio/Deadening/Raammattrunk.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/biz77/Legacy%20GT%20audio/Deadening/IMG_0042-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/biz77/Legacy%20GT%20audio/Deadening/IMG_0044-1.jpg

With ensolite:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/biz77/Legacy%20GT%20audio/Deadening/IMG_0054.jpg

Archived