LegacyGT.com

Consensus on clutch?

mpetty

OK, I have read through a lot of this section of the board and I am still confused....

So, for those of us that are worried about our crappy stock clutch and want to replace it with something, the best option is.....?

Here are some relevant facts to my personal situation that may help:

• 2005 LGT Ltd 5MT
  • Stage 2
  • Daily driver
  • Will do some track days/HPDE
  • Not a drag racer, but I'd like to try it someday and not be afraid of leaving a liquified stink pile at the line

Thoughts?!?!?

Thx,

Morgan

Best? Everybody will have a different opinion and driving style as you have seen from your searches.

Car: same setup as you + VF30 turbo (STi-size)

My choice (on order): 06 WRX OEM flywheel + ACT full-face clutch (SB5-HDMM).

My rationale:

- stock fly = lots of stop & go, don't like drivetrain noise, performance loss minimal

- ACT clutch = good previous experience w/ ACT, easy to drive as stock from reports here, will handle 420 ft-lb tq (more than I will need)

Kyle "BlackHole"

Best? Everybody will have a different opinion and driving style as you have seen from your searches.

My rationale:

- stock fly = lots of stop & go, don't like drivetrain noise, performance loss minimal

- ACT clutch = good previous experience w/ ACT, easy to drive as stock from reports here, will handle 420 ft-lb tq (more than I will need)

Will be my choice when my stocker goes.:)

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

My rationale:

This will also be my choice when the stocker goes.

you should get the wrx lightweight flywheel

Could you please share your rationale and experience? From the limited number of experience-based posts on this site (and I've read a lot) it does not seem that LWFWs are good for lots of stop & go driving and NVH, two big concerns of mine. While common sense says that the engine will rev faster, how much does a LWFW really help performance?

Thanks for your input.

Kyle "BlackHole"

Here is another idea. There is also the Spec Stg1 - Stg5 clutches that will bolt up to a stock FW or the Spec LWFW. Below is a link to my review. I've had mine in for about 5K miles and 6 months. No problems in stop and go or creeping at 1Krpms after a long 2K mile break in where it was a little grabby. I haven't felt it slip at all ever so far. I'll be taking it to the drag stip when it opens on April 4th to see how she hold under pressure.

I'm at full stage2+ right now and waiting to put in the 20G turbo sitting in the box across the room. I guess we will see how it holds after that. Below is a link to my SPEC stg2 and LWFW review. I will update it throughout the life of the clutch. You will have people telling you what to do and other who give you information and let you decide for yourself. If they haven't had it installed on their car; then their opinion really doesn't count since any data would be from second hand experience or hearsay. Just because a buddy had this or you talked to a dude who had that or everyone says this one is the best; that isn't fact, it's opinion.

I invite you to look at my review and you be the judge as to if it will work for what you want. All the clamp force specs for the different stages and any issues I have had with the clutch are also listed in the thread.

Remember too, that no matter what people post; there have been minor issues with EVERY brand(ACT,SPEC,OE and others) and stage of clutch that has been put in the LGT on one istalll or another. NONE of them are flawless or batting 1000 so far.;)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78095&highlight=spec+review

Enjoy and Good Luck!

Let's kick this pig!

Archived