LegacyGT.com

Trunk won't pop open...

I recently bought a 2007 legacy SE. The previous owner put a spoiler on the rear deck that looks like an oem Subaru spolier. Problem is when you pop the trunk from inside the car or on the remote, it won't open unless you are there to open it. My dealer is proving to be useless in helping me figure this out. Any thoughts?

Are you saying when you pop it or use the remote the trunk does not come up, or does it not unlatch to where you can raise it?

It will only unlatch and you have to pull it up.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

Are you saying when you pop it or use the remote the trunk does not come up, or does it not unlatch to where you can raise it?

It will only unlatch and you have to pull it up.

That is correct. It will only unlatch. You have to lift the trunk lid open by hand...even without a spoiler.

It is still ugly.

When I hit the remote, I hear it unlatch, but I can't open it. It takes another try. From the lever inside the car it rarely unlatches. However even when it does unlatch the trunk does not open even a crack.

The trunk not moving after unlatching it is normal.

However, if you are having trouble opening it even after hitting the button, then the trunk tensioner springs may have never been changed. They have to be upgraded to withstand the extra weight of the spoiler.

Unless you have OBP it is easy to tell because the stock tensioner springs are the same color as the body of the car, the upgraded ones are black.

Lubrication problem on a '07? Seems unlikely to be a lubrication issue.

WD40 is also a bit thin for lubricating a lock. Some kind of grease is better, just make sure that you lubricate the right parts or you will randomly lubricate anything else that goes in or out of the trunk. :p

453747.png

It does pop up? I have the OEM spoiler and after I lift the lever I have to lift by the spoiler to open the truck. Maybe this due to the extra weight of the spoiler on the truck lid.
I'm probably the only person that has Wu-Tang Clan and Paul McCartney on their mp3.:p

So it's normal for it to not pop open at all when you pull the lever?

Correct.

Also, to answer your above question, the springs are under the rear windshield decklid. If you peek under, you'll see two unusually shaped pieces of round metal running along the car width wise.

All you have to do is get the "Spoiler" trunk springs...they are a bit stiffer and will pop the trunk open about 3 inches when you release it...they are a Subaru part and are easily installed....I did mine by hand, but there is a tool that the dealers have that does the instal easier. I put STi ones in my wifes Impreza 2.5i after I added a WRX wing...oops...too strong...trunk popped open like a giant mouse trap....took one out and all is well.

Go see your dealer and get the prpoer trunk springs. :)

Well thats what I though all along. You must have missed my first post saying that my dealer was proving to be useless. They can't even figure out what springs to put in because Subaru has "so many spoilers" and "so many different trunk springs".... This can't be that hard.... anyone have a part number?

Subaru calls them Torsion Bars...this was taken directly from the installation manual, so these should be the upgraded bars.

TORSION BAR RIGHT E721SAG020

TORSION BAR LEFT E721SAG030

Well thats what I though all along. You must have missed my first post saying that my dealer was proving to be useless. They can't even figure out what springs to put in because Subaru has "so many spoilers" and "so many different trunk springs".... This can't be that hard.... anyone have a part number?

There is only one Legacy spoiler from Subaru.....sounds like you need a new dealer:confused: There are "Spoiler springs" for Imprezas WRX,STi....they are totally different from Legacy one...smaller. If your parts guy can't find them....you definitly need a new dealership.:mad:

I just checked mine...sorry...no part number tags on them.....When you order a Legacy OEM spolier the Subaru box comes with the stronger sping/torsion bars in the box along with all the mounting instructions and drill templates:)

So I called a dealer down in CT yesterday and got an immediate answer for my problem. I need the upgraded springs that come with the "spoiler kit" for the leagacy's. Hmmm.... a kit you say.... that sounds so simple! So he broke out the springs from the kit and ordered them for me. Took 5 minutes. I've been F'cking around with my dealer for a month on this!! I need a new dealer I guess!!

If "Your" spoiler didn't come with the springs and all the other stuff....then it was not an OEM Subaru spoiler....there are lots of copies around...they look the same but are just knock-offs from some fiberglass shop.:(:(

Congrats on finding an "Honest" dealer. :)

my 2008 3.0R has the same problem but I like that it doesn't "pop" open. I just hit the button and it unlatches, I then lift it up just fine. I like it that way. I wouldn't lift my trunk ever by the spoiler because I wouldn't want to mess it up. Just lift your trunk up right above the license plate and your good to go. my subaru factory spoiler was dealer installed so they probably forgot the little springs or whatever. no biggie to me.

Not sure if it is or isn't oem. It was on the car when I got it. I do know it didn't come from the factory with it though. I should have the new springs next week. If that doesn't work I'm sure I'll be back for more help!

I have an 07 as well and noticed this but I think it is normal. Whether I press the button on the remote or pull the trunk release latch, all I hear is it unlocking. From the naked eye, you couldn't tell whether it was locked or not and you have to pull it up manually. Totally different from my TSX which would pop up 3-4 inches.

• 2 months later...

Archived