LegacyGT.com

HELP!!!!! Air Pocket?

Ok. this thing is reallly starting to piss me off (the car).

1998 Legacy GT. Hot air will come on then leave and the Temp guage will shoot up. I drained the coolant and re-filled it. drove it around and it worked perfectly.....right up until I pulled into my driveway. the hot air shut off and the guage shot up again!!! what am I doing wrong to get the air out of the system.

this is what I am doing.

Drain the fluid out of lower Hose.

Then take off Thermostat -let drain completly

then Put back on and put hose back on. fill both sides of hoses. I opened up the small Screw on the Pasenger side of the Radiator to let air out. filled it up on both sides slowly.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG!!! Im going to drink some beer and hopfully that will fix one of my problems.

I will be on AIM for most of the night and until forever.

AIM - massdrewski.

or if you really wana help, my cell 774-994-7027 (its verizon)

Drew,

(please pardon my anger with this problem. I have tried to fix the problem at least 3 other times with the same result....Nothing):mad:

You probably have a leaky head gasket. The Phase II 2.5L DOHC motors (such as the one in your car) were notorious for leaky head gaskets. There are updated head gaskets that largely alleviate the problem, but getting a good and durable seal between the heads and the shortblock is still somewhat problematic.

• 1 month later...

OK. Update.

I had the master tech look at the car. He did his diag and came to this conclusion. the head gaskets are fine and not blown. He did say that the #1 cylinder is miss fireing. the Over heating is caused by some blockage in the radiator. He suggested that the Passenger side head be taken off and taken to a machine shop and the radiator be taken and cleaned out or replaced all together. He figured that with the passenger side head that there in a mechanical problem causing it to miss fire. without opening it up to see the exact problem he can only guess. He feels that the Exhaust valve is slightly bent. He came to this conclusion becouse he could "feel" and hear a sound comeing out of the tail pipe. Hes a master subie tech so I will take his word for it. He suggested I sell it for $2k to get rid of it. I have already posted it at 1,800 as is.

this is a great car to easily fix if you are mechanicly inclined to do so. basicly, you would need to take the head off and have a machine shop install new valves all the way around. When I did it to the drivers side, the total cost came to roughly $200. As for the radiator He siggested flushing it or just replacing it all together. The car does run but with the radiator problem it has a tendency to over heat after about 20 minutes on the road. you could drive it and let it sit and drive it and let ti sit if you really want to get it home. Again

The head gasket is not the cause of the over heating.

bump

Archived