LegacyGT.com

HPS pads/stock rotors - excessive grinding?

ewhite06

Any and all listeners,

I put on the HPS pads (stock rotors) on my 05 LGT Wagon a couple thousand miles ago. The stopping power is great - no complaints. But what I am noticing is an excessive amount of "grinding" if the car has been sitting for a while, say overnight or more.

I know its just surface rust that has built up on the rotors being scraped off (the ever-rainy Indiana climate doesn't help) but it was never this bad until I put on the HPS pads. It goes away after the first few brakings but I'm just wondering if the pads might be causing a premature death for these rotors.

Does anyone else notice this? Again its not a showstopper, just curious.

Thanks

Mine's the same way of the mornings .. I haven't given it much thought, honestly. Like yours, it goes away after a few stops. I'm assuming that HPS pads are just more abrasive than normal until they get some heat in them, I wouldn't worry about it making a noticeable difference in rotor life though.

Yep, you're not alone. I like the pads' stopping power, but they tend to be pretty noisy the first handful of normal stops. Not a very endearing quality I must say. But, ah well.

Normal for me. First few stops are grind city....usually passengers who get in will look at me and say "time for new breaks!" Um, no that's just the way my pads work when they're cold :lol: After two or three stops they're quiet .

Yep, you're not alone. I like the pads' stopping power, but they tend to be pretty noisy the first handful of normal stops. Not a very endearing quality I must say. But, ah well.

You might want to clean up your shims and use some disc brake quiet. I never had any noise from my HPS pads on stock rotors, other than when the rotors had rust on them from overnight moisture.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Heck... mine does this with the stock pads. :lol:

Our stock rotor faces will "flash rust" very easily with high humidity or water spray. It takes a few revolutions with the brakes applied to knock off this surface rust.

I guess I should also add that from my house to the main road I have 4 stop signs to go through...and I live in TX where under 40F is rare.

My case may be the other extreme where I don't experience any sort of flash rusting or cold brakes and have to hit the brakes a few times within 1/2 mile first thing and may not notice it...

Archived