LegacyGT.com

Does the Legacy need 2 exhaust outlets?

My neighbor parked his new Grand AM Gt beside my Legacy GT and I noticed it also had dual exhaust ports in the back. I got under the car to see the Grand AM has 1 muffler but has 4 exahust pipes (2 very short, 2 curve around to the right side). It seems that the 2 pipes on the right are just for show. Most of the exhaust will go out the short pipes.

The Legacy has 1 exhaust pipe that splits to 2 mufflers and 2 wide pipes. The WRX just has 1 pipe in the back. Does the Legacy produce so much exhaust that it needs 2 mufflers and pipes to reduce the backpressure, or is it just for looks?

If you have two banks of cylinders as the Flat four does, it's easy enough to use a separate exhaust header per bank. It's actually simpler to do this than to run separate header pipes together and use a single long exhaust pipe. As to how power is affected, less restriction is provided with straighter pipe and with a larger diameter pipe.

I'm a sports car fan, but I'm not a noise fan and would prefer NOT to make unnecessary sound that draws the attention of the highway patrol.

Give me a quieter, but still functional, exhaust any day.

I have an aftermarket stainless 2.5 inch single pipe exhaust and 2.5 inch free flow cat on my FM 2 turbo Miata, but I added a 2.5 inch resonator to make the drive bearable with the top up.

When I was younger, I liked the Brrrrp-Brrrp rumble of my MG, but when one matures and has a LONG commute, that pleasant exhaust rumble becomes torture.

We are inundated with noise from EVERYWHERE nowadays, so I personally prefer a quieter driving environment.

If you don't like a quiet exhaust now, just wait a few years... I think you'll come to appreciate it :)

Guest turboman

Cat.converters are very expensive and if you ran two separate, full length, independent pipes you would need twice as many converters.

Lots of additional expense to manufacture for a gain that 95% of the owners would never notice or appreciate.

If an owner appreciates the "dual" differences he can go to a muffler shop or do it himself.

I rather it had a single exhaust. The dual is just for looks. It's a common trend these days on cars that simply don't need duals. If your going to do a dual exhaust, then do it correctly. Don't run a single pipe to the rear and then split it again. No thanks.

I don't know... I see nothing wrong with a styling element that adds balance. Besides, if one used a larger diameter single pipe, the duals at the rear would become more functional.

Is it necessary? No...

Does it look good? Yes.

Cars are sold not just on their ability to move, but also on their styling. They have to have something about them that entices a buyer to unlock his wallet or her purse.

Styling has always been a key.

Car makers don't always get things right. As an example, I dislike the placement of the intercooler atop engines which necessitates a bulge and scoop on the hood. However, AMERICAN muscle cars used a scoop and so it became an important styling element. Personally, I like stealth. Give me no attention grabbing doo-dads like scoops or spoilers and I'll be happy.

I'm no expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I would guess that 1 larger, straight pipe would have a flow advantage

over the stock set up. What is the best size for a "balanced"

exhaust if going with the single pipe?

:orly:YA RLY!!! Home of +2500 useless posts!!!!

The Grand Am's exhaust is for looks, as evidenced by the single muffler and 4 tips.

Our exhaust provides a useful function. A car with two mufflers can use more restrictive but quieter units that will together provide the flow of one loud muffler with half the noise. We get the best of both worlds here.

How good is having 2 mufflers? My Stealth's stock exhaust supported up to 115 mph traps - just a downpipe was all it needed. Only after that was an aftermarket setup beneficial.

Dual mufflers are just so they can charge you more for replacements... the dual tip single muffler systems probobly flow better. splitting the pipe that far back is NOT good for performance period...it'll reduce sound... but that's about it.

Dual exhaust is only benificial if its not completely seperate... you NEED a cross pipe behind the header or cat to even out the gas flows between the two systems.

Think of it this way... 3.0+ I6's almost ALL use single exhuast... even if they use 2 seperate exhaust manifolds... even lots of v6 guys convert to single exhaust for better flow... it'll be louder but it's going to flow better coming out of a single larger diameter pipe...

BMW M3's saw a big increase in power when they went from dual piping from the headers back to single piping... people with the older dual set up OFTEN buy the single set up and see good gains.

Guest JessterCPA
The Grand Am's exhaust is for looks, as evidenced by the single muffler and 4 tips.

You mean there is something on a Pontiac just for looks?? Not functional?? GASP!! :eek:

Archived