LegacyGT.com

ACT clutch, supposed ~8000 miles

CodyItaliano

i bought my LGT back in december. and before i bought the car, this ACT street clutch had a supposed mileage of about 5000 miles on it. so the most it should have had was about 8000 miles.

by the looks of it you can obviously tell that this is bs. not to mention the car has been in the shop more than i've owned it. but none the less it needed a new clutch. which is going to be an OEM subaru clutch set. oh and when they put this clutch in, looks like they used the original throw out bearing. what morons.

as you can see there are plenty of hot spots in the pressure plate friction surface. the clutch material is very worn out, looks like this would have 80000 miles of hard driving. the car only has about 54000 miles on it. but it was auto crossed and run with the local porsche club fairly often by the previous owner. so that would explain the excess clutch wear. anyways, both techs at the shop said that ACT is crap and to go with Centerforce if i wanted a real performance clutch. which i may do later on. but as of now just trying to actually be able to drive the damn thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Engine%20Stuff/DSC07537.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Engine%20Stuff/DSC07538.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Engine%20Stuff/DSC07539.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Engine%20Stuff/DSC07540.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/HondaBoySi87/Engine%20Stuff/DSC07541.jpg

I will respectfully disagree with both "techs" I have had great luck with ACT clutches in my other cars. With wear like that its deffinitly driver abuse and possibly inability to drive not the clutch itself.

yeah, i thought differently too. although centerforce offers great performance clutches. but yeah, definately didnt help that it was auto crossed frequently. oh well, at least now i will be able to drive it with more confidence of reliability once i get it back.

so new clutch and flywheel to go in next week. i'll be keeping the light weight flywheel for later use if i decide to get another clutch. but for now OEM is ok since i'm going to be daily driving it and not racing.

I thought the OEM clutch was going to be plenty good too since I don't race or launch whatsoever........ I don't drive hard and don't slip the clutch to get the car moving at all. Never really downshifted much. and at 30,000 miles mine went. I hope yours lasts longer than mine.

that is if i have this clutch for 30000 miles. i may get an aftermarket clutch set once i've driven the car a while. apparently clutches are a problem for a lot of subarus. almost every single person i know that had either an Impreza or Legacy has had to replace their clutch at least once. all turbo models. i'm guessing the heavy drivetrain has something to do with it plus a lot of power?

Ive been at Stage 2.5 since 5000 miles, have 40000 on it now, and still stock clutch! If I do a very aggressive launch it will slip, but I can hammer it in 4th and 5th all day long and not a slip at all. Sh*t, now the old lady is gonna call and say the clutch is slipping:lol:

^so you may be making as much or more power than i am and are using an OEM clutch? as i see, you are driveing a spec B? does the clutch have any difference between an LGT and spec B?

well i hope with the power i'm making, the OEM pieces will hold up well. i'll be asking for my light weight flywheel back because i may later want to put in a performance oriented clutch.

Well, my full mod list

-Perrin TMIC

-Perrin Light Crank pulley

-GT Spec headers and up-pipe

-Gutted downpipe

-Hawgzaust

-DMH exhaust dump (for when Hawgzaust isnt loud enough!)

-AEM intake

-Accessport w/TDC map

So, however much power that may be. Spec-B uses the same clutch as all GT's. It will slip during a hard launch on pavement with the 18's on it. It held up enough the other night to spin the tires into 4th on wet pavement, no slippage of clutch whatsoever! I just wont ask for it to go by taking it to the track though!

i dont know. hmm, that may be. i'm guessing this clutch was installed around the beginning of '06, or mid '06. well it did pretty well when i first got the car. would spin through first on grippy dry pavement and into 3rd when wet.

i'll be looking into what clutch and flywheel that is. this could very well be for the 2.5 n/a. was that one smaller than for the turbo engine? if so then this is likely it.

I have ACT in both my cars, and never had a problem. But my friends RSti had a catastrophic failure with his centerforce clutch, and I've read about it else ware. I really like the idea of centerforces dual friction clutch but I just got scared away by the stories. My ACT is super easy to drive in the LGT,(not so much in the accord) got about 10-12k miles on it w/380whp.

Archived