LegacyGT.com

Should I replace this?

gianspi

That sucks! Definitely replace that bad boy - I wouldn't trust that any more than to the nearest tire center, at very low speeds.

BTW - How many miles on the tires? If more than 1-2000 miles, replace the whole set so you don't unduly load the AWD system.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I feel your pain. I had to replace both front and rear tires, passenger side on my car after hitting a pothole on an exit ramp and then noticed a bulge in each tires side wall. Tires only had 4000 on them.

Pressure all four tires to the recommended tire pressures, including the "new" one that you're using to replace your hurt tire. Tape measure the outside circumference of all four and if there's more than 1/4" difference between them, replace all four. Otherwise, you'll constantly be swaying while driving, and you'll be loading the center diff, as it's trying to adjust to the differences in rotation. Clutches hate this too.

SBT

Pressure all four tires to the recommended tire pressures, including the "new" one that you're using to replace your hurt tire. Tape measure the outside circumference of all four and if there's more than 1/4" difference between them, replace all four. Otherwise, you'll constantly be swaying while driving, and you'll be loading the center diff, as it's trying to adjust to the differences in rotation. Clutches hate this too.

SBT

The difference in my worn tires to the new ones are 2.5/32 (0.1"), well below the .25" threshold. Can't I just have tirerack shave a new tire to 8/32nds?

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

FYI- The same thing happened to me on the freeway and the state transportation department paid for my tires minus the depreciated value from 20K miles. I had to replace all four tires due to potential issues with uneven tire-wear on the AWD. They also paid to replace my wheel. I took photos of the pothole, requested a "tort claim form" from the transportation department, then sent my pics in with the bill from Les Schwab, an SOA article recommending replacement of all four tires, and two estimates from local delaers to replace the wheel with labor. I actually came out pretty good with new, better tires.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/IMG_3263.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x312/kagenmateer/DSC01589.jpg

The difference in my worn tires to the new ones are 2.5/32 (0.1"), well below the .25" threshold. Can't I just have tirerack shave a new tire to 8/32nds?

Rather than reconstitute the whole piece here, read through this thread, mostly starting on page 2. It was a discussion on Wear Indicators (WI) on a set of Nokian tires, as a factor in determing rolling circumference, but applies here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18025

Not sure whether TR can shave a new tire or not. First figure what you you want the circumference to be, then shave accordingly, if you go that route.

SBT

Archived