LegacyGT.com

Oil Smell - Recommendation?

Whenever I drive my car hard, I begin to smell burning oil (it really stinks). I even give it a cool down period afterward and it still smells bad. At first, I chalked it up to just being a new car breaking in, but it now has 7K miles on it. I am running conventional oil and have changed it at 900 miles, 3K miles, 6K miles all at the dealership using conventional (I have been planning to switch to synthetic at 10K). I also checked the level each time and it is dead on - full every time I check it, the level doesn't seem to be changing. As a side note, I know how to drive a stick and this isn't transmission smell - it is oil. Can someone make a recommendation? It is like 50 degrees out, I can't imagine at 90 degrees when it is actually hot outside!

Should I switch to synthetic?

Is it normal?

Should I take it in to the dealer?

Perhaps a 5w-40 oil?

Is it still breaking in?

:confused:

Thanks.

Check your oil filter and the CV boots on your axles. If the filter is one of the older Subaru filters, i.e. 090 series, then they are known to leak. Shouldn't be any available in the stock system, so doubt this is the issure, but it may not be seated tight enough. I only mention the CV boots, because a small crack will allow grease to fly out and hit the exhaust, which would create the stink you're referring to in your OP. Put it up on a rack, or jack stands and crawl under and see where there's any oil seepage. Only way to know for sure.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I have taken it to the dealer each time and asked for an oil change which to them includes oil and the filter. I haven't physically checked. I will take a look when I get it on ramps checking what subietonic suggested.

Changing the mode to recirculate will only mask the problem from inside though. It is a good idea to help my nose, but I want to find out why it is doing that.

Yioryo, that's too bad to hear that synthetic didn't help. I was hoping it would be that easy. Are you using 5W-30? Maybe a 5W-40 could help?

If the level always is OK I suggest that you also check the gearbox oil.

Or the power steering.

It isn't necessarily the engine oil that smells if you get it on your exhaust system. But it won't take much either to create a smell. I would suggest that you may want to check the exhaust system to see if you have any stains related to oil on it.

And check that the oil pan is in place correctly. Someone may have forgotten to tighten the screws.

453747.png

Great, I will have to check all of these things. I think it has been happening too frequently to just be some oil that may have been spilled on the engine when they will filling it.

Ridgeracer - good point, it does not seem to be burning oil and the level is on.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived