LegacyGT.com

Buying GT Wagon - Auto or Manual?

5EAT:

+ Essential for better half

+ Good for daily driving, bumper2bumper

+ Better resale value, a wiser investment

No, not really a factor as most people who buy a 250HP sport sedan sill be just fine with a manual.

+ More durable and reliable than Subaru's manual

No, this is a brand new trans. with absolutely no history to go buy.

+ Auto, Sport-Auto and Manu-matic modes

+ Dealers treat you as an adult and with respect

:confused: :confused: I really cannot see this as a factor at all.

- More expensive

- Not as fun as 5MT on spirited drives, which is less important in a wagon

5MT:

+ Cheaper

+ Fun for the occasional spirited drive not daily driving

I wouldn't say fun only occasionally, usually the better option for driving and easier on brakes.

+ Essential to launch, mod and abuse car to its full potential

:confused: :confused:

- Better half can't use car or may damage gearbox if not operated correctly

- Not reliable

WHAT? :confused: :confused:

Based on what data?

- Dealers treat you as a ricer and blame you for everything

- Less modes with only one

- Easier to steal

- Looks ugly

- Sounds annoying

- Very tempermental and bitchy

- STINKS

I am totally speechless @ this baloney..........

I think it is obvious which one is more suitable for your situation.

Mojo

As you can see I have edited the above quote.

I think that there are some valid reasons to pick an auto over a manual but this post is a joke obviously.

Thing to remember about Subaru and manual, over 50% of Subaru's are sold as a manual transmission so resale won't be a problem as they are very high in demand.

Parousia

BTW FWIW I was going to buy Auto for the wife but she convinced me not to, and she really likes the manual a lot now.

I bought the 5MT for the sheer joy of driving an MT. There are occasions when bumper to bumper traffic is a PITA, particularly on the I-15 and I-5 corridors morning and evening, or if you have to run up to LA for some reason and get stuck in abominable land (AL) traffic.

But on the whole, those times diminish into the background every first time you fire your beast up, stuff the clutch, snick it into 1st and launch, snick, snick into 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th. Snick it into 4th, brake to balance the chassis, bump it into 3rd and fling it into a turn carrying speed all the way through and know that you've got torque balanced front to rear and you're not dependent upon the center diff to apportion out the torque.

The fact that I broke off my left foot a few years ago in a ladder accident (ladder 1, foot/ankle 0), and the clutch is my daily physical therapy regimen for an otherwise recalcitrant ankle, is an added bonus. :lol:

And I've taught my entire family to drive the MT so if they ever need to "borrow" my car, they know how to drive it. Both daughters will be going to Skip Barber with me to learn even more about driving, including H/T and other MT athletics.

So, IMHO, it comes down to what works best for you on a "driver" level. What you are most comfortable with, what gives you the best return on value and fun factor, and what you feel are the limits of your tolerance for the small "deficiencies" of each system.

My recommendation - get the manual - and then get an OXT 5EAT for your wife.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I agree with Subietonic completely! I never considered an automatic because it would never be as much fun to drive for me. Now, admittedly, I am rarely in bumper to bumper traffic on a regular basis - but having the MT gives the car, I believe, more of a sportscar feel to driving it.

Mojo - I also agree with Parousia when he takes issue with several of your points.

I'm also not sure what points you consider to be a joke and what you really believe to be true. I'm also not sure how your view would differ for a sedan rather than a wagon.

Care to clarify or elaborate?

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

My wife prefers the manual by the way, but she's not the one driving it in bumper to bumper traffic.

I drove the manual today, and I think I can do fine with either. The steering wheel shifters of the 5EAT have some definite cool factor, but considering it's nearly a $1000 price difference, I may go with the 5MT. Plus, if I save the $1000 on the transmission, how can the better half complain when I get the subwoofer. =)

My wife prefers the manual by the way, but she's not the one driving it in bumper to bumper traffic.

I drove the manual today, and I think I can do fine with either. The steering wheel shifters of the 5EAT have some definite cool factor, but considering it's nearly a $1000 price difference, I may go with the 5MT. Plus, if I save the $1000 on the transmission, how can the better half complain when I get the subwoofer. =)

Sounds like you have a very "logical" wife. And with the small change of the SWAmp, that would still leave you ~$800 to spend on flowers and jewelry and such, AFTER you add your springs, sways, tint and tires. ;)

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I own a wagon and I am a little at a loss by the recent clarification......

A joke with valid points, and RTFT( Read The Flying Title) it's for a wagon.

Mojo

Which title am I supposed to be reading BTW...........

Parousia

I never even considered an auto. Not that there is anything wrong with it but for me in my situation I could only see the manual as the choice. However my wife can drive a manual so this is a big plus I know some of you guys dont have that bought the auto. In this car the manual is the better performer as well. I dont sit in traffic on a daily basis either. That would sway me towards an auto if I did though.

One reason to buy a manual is so that manufacturers will keep making them. LGT Limited or non-Limited wagons with the manual were hard to find in October. I believe there was a thread recently about a media mope bashing stick shifts as dangerous. Vote with your wallets, or the infinitely wise marketeers will only ship 5MT's to yak-herders in Iceland <with all due respect to yak-herdering Subariks>.

JC, Chicagoland bassist & opentracker

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd wagon

2005 LGT 5MT Ltd sedan

That's okay, the fun factor more than makes up for it.

5MT all the way!

Couldn't agree more! :D

I don't plan on selling this car in the next 3-5 years, so whoever owns it after I do is of secondary importance. I'm getting what *I* want. :)

And thanks to Subaru for at least offering the choice. :cool:

No kidding. Manual trans is what kept this car, and any car that I am considering, in contention. If new cars ever truly loose direct drive, selectable gear transmissions, I will buy used cars forever. I am perfectly capable of choosing my own gears, and operating a clutch, thankyouverymuch.

Manual trans is required. No torque converters here, at least not anything that resembles a performance vehicle. Lower resale is fine for me if I want to buy used, and if I buy new, I don't care enough about the slight depreciation difference to offset the car I will be driving for many years before ever selling it.

To tell you the truth IMHO I do not believe the depreciation argument anyway.

When I bargain for a used car the price is always neg. and if you look @ the Impreza WRX line a manual is not going for lower than the auto used.

Most people do not want the Auto at all.......

Parousia

Archived