LegacyGT.com

Manual or tiptronic?

Lafta

The fact that F1 cars are trying to go from semi-auto sequential gearboxes to dual-clutch gearboxes ought to tell us something. Rumor has it the dual-clutch jobbers in development for F1 are so smooth, there is only a millisecond reduction of power, probably not even noticeable by the driver, as torque transfers from one clutch to the other.

MAMA I want one now!

That inevitable jerkiness of an MT, regardless of driver skill, is unavoidable as if you want to use the clutch, you can't NOT interrupt power. Lift-throttle upshifts aside, even then there's a power decrease. So if you're accelerating at say 0.4g, and even IF you're the best MT driver in the world, you've got to go from 0.4g to 0g to shift...that's not smooth.

Now the CVT (audi A4) I drove for 2 years...THAT was smooth. So smooth it was unnerving, and made the car feel slower than it was.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi gang.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on one of either two 05 Legacy gt ltd wagons.

One is with manual,the other with tiptronic.

Would you folks be so kind as to list the merits or demerits of both?

Thankyou for your time.

I vote manual. I wouldn't want an automatic myself on this type of car. Now a minivan on the other hand... :)

It is called voice mail.

;-)

Krzys

sending a potential customer to voicemail = no sale and they go to a competitor = $30K/yr in lost sales. Yes, I really do that much business in my car while going from point A to point B and any place inbetween. Sales and service.... if I can't answer my phone during business hours, I most likely will lose that customer. In fact, most of my customers comment on how easy it is to reach me because i do answer my phone/s so they feel confident enough to allow me to take care of issues if there is any.

If I weren't getting rid of the LGT so soon, I'd have installed a Bluetooth car kit long ago. AK Wagon has one on his LGT wagon and it's amazingly crystal clear because, like myself, he also is in outside sales and lives on his phone and in the car. He loves his MT wagon and I love my 5EAT sedan. We do similar things day in and day out because of our occupation/career/business. It's just personal preference whether you want MT or AT. I happen to love my AT as much as I loved my previous 6MT. In 6 mos, maybe I'll have changed my mind.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Handsfree is irrelevant. The problem is the act of talking over the phone, to someone remote who cannot adjust conversation to the situation on the road, unlike a passenger inside the car.

Your excuses are lame, I don't care about your business, if that compromises safety on the road for everyone.

I wish cell phone ban was enforced (and proper laws were enacted which would prohibit talking on the phone altogether while driving, except in emergency), and habitual offenders had driving privileges suspended.

Handsfree is irrelevant. The problem is the act of talking over the phone, to someone remote who cannot adjust conversation to the situation on the road, unlike a passenger inside the car.

Your excuses are lame, I don't care about your business, if that compromises safety on the road for everyone.

I wish cell phone ban was enforced (and proper laws were enacted which would prohibit talking on the phone altogether while driving, except in emergency), and habitual offenders had driving privileges suspended.

tell the cops that who I see driving while talking on their cell phones all day long too. :rolleyes:

we know your opinion. you know mine. end of the non-existent debate. stay in Boston and you won't have to deal with me driving the same roads as you.

An interesting study done by an Aussie university showed that when talking on the phone, any phone, a portion of the brain that deals with motor skills shuts down. If this is true, and it would have to be confirmed by at least one independent study somewhere else, anyone on a phone while driving is driving impaired. I cannot tell you how many times I have literally been run off the road by people on the phone who no longer "see" anything except what's right in front of them. They forget to check their mirrors or glance over their shoulders to look for traffic. Frankly when I see someone on a phone I get as far away from them as soon as I can because they scare me to death. And texting while driving is on the rise!!
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

An interesting study done by an Aussie university showed that when talking on the phone, any phone, a portion of the brain that deals with motor skills shuts down. If this is true, and it would have to be confirmed by at least one independent study somewhere else, anyone on a phone while driving is driving impaired. I cannot tell you how many times I have literally been run off the road by people on the phone who no longer "see" anything except what's right in front of them. They forget to check their mirrors or glance over their shoulders to look for traffic. Frankly when I see someone on a phone I get as far away from them as soon as I can because they scare me to death. And texting while driving is on the rise!!

again... BLUETOOTH CAR KIT. you wouldn't even know if I was on the phone or not. plus, I have tinted windows. It's no different than talking to a passenger in the car (provided you don't have a phone sandwiched between your neck and shoulder) and driving with one hand while attempting to talk, signal, or shift. That's different. That's dangerous. However, talking on the phone with both hands on the wheel, being able to freely look and see what you are doing, I just do not see how this is any different from talking to someone in my passenger seat or in the back seats. I can keep both eyes on the road and see what's going on around me. Maybe I'm just crazy or wierd, but multi-tasking is something I've done since I was 2 yrs old. Perhaps we should ban singing to the radio while driving too? That could be a distraction.

Speaking into a bluetooth and carrying on a conversion with a passenger is pretty much the same....they can both be equally distracting.

or having screaming children in the back seat, changing radio stations, drinking or eating in the car, etc.... all things that can be distracting yet we do it on a daily basis.

now, let's get BACK ON TOPIC.

Speaking into a bluetooth and carrying on a conversion with a passenger is pretty much the same....they can both be equally distracting.

ABSOLUTELY FALSE. Think about it. But if that fails, there has been research done that handsfree devices do nothing safety wise compared to people who just handhold phones.

The passenger is there, and can adjust to the situation on the road. Pause when needed, repeat when necessary, also can see the driver so it's not only verbal communication.

And Mrs. AKLGT, you're pathetic in the way you defend your unsafe behavior behind the wheel. The fact that others do the same or worse is not an excuse.

had 04 outback 2.5 with manual. was still grooming snow. manual the only way to go. unfortunately, am on freeway a lot now. the hydraulic clutch actually got my hip sore after a day in the city! also driving 70 on a windy day the taller outback suffered for its height. bought 05 legacy2.5 with auto. freeways better so is morning coffee! auto seemed to have too long of pauses between brake and acceleration. was told normal. traded for 06 also auto...acts the same... 17" wheels stabilized freeways even more. did get hung up in one snow drift though... i do use the tiptronic.. its the only way to slow down when superslick out... have been reading how manuals get better milaege. i monitor my mpg at like 50 im getting 40mpg+_ but left in auto it always goes to tallest gear. like 2000 rpms, feels like its bogging motor. so i drop it into 3rd like i would in a manual... sounds like engine likes it better but mpg's drop signifigantly.. kind of like to get the best milaege is maybe not best for motor?!?

Please don't take this as a personal slam. I do see lots of people distracted by kids etc. And AKLGT you do seem like a cool person. But the study I mentioned applies to all phone use, in or out of the car, regular or blue tooth. Its an interesting phenomenon, and if I can't persuade you to give up your phone, at least be aware of the risk. :):)
You're just jealous that the Voices talk to Me. :cool:

ABSOLUTELY FALSE. Think about it. But if that fails, there has been research done that handsfree devices do nothing safety wise compared to people who just handhold phones.

The passenger is there, and can adjust to the situation on the road. Pause when needed, repeat when necessary, also can see the driver so it's not only verbal communication.

And Mrs. AKLGT, you're pathetic in the way you defend your unsafe behavior behind the wheel. The fact that others do the same or worse is not an excuse.

People love to interject the results of surveys and research as being complete authority....Hell, I do it sometimes but there are so many contributing variables and exceptions to everything. Some people can multi-task better then others and some people have better focus then others. Distractions are distractions, its up to "your" brain to sort it out.

I still see no difference on how the drivers mind is reacting while talking into a blue tooth or to a passenger. You mention pause when needed or repeat when necessary... you do the same on the bluetooth...hold on 1 second or can you say that again. You are completely generalizing every bluetooth user as being a mentally incompetent driver. Sure a lot of people drive like idiots while on their bluetooth or phone but a lot of people just drive like idiots period!

People love to interject the results of surveys and research as being complete authority....Hell, I do it sometimes but there are so many contributing variables and exceptions to everything. Some people can multi-task better then others and some people have better focus then others. Distractions are distractions, its up to "your" brain to sort it out.

I still see no difference on how the drivers mind is reacting while talking into a blue tooth or to a passenger. You mention pause when needed or repeat when necessary... you do the same on the bluetooth...hold on 1 second or can you say that again. You are completely generalizing every bluetooth user as being a mentally incompetent driver. Sure a lot of people drive like idiots while on their bluetooth or phone but a lot of people just drive like idiots period!

Sure some people may multitask better than others, some people have better reaction time than others, etc, etc. You can't equate conversation within the car to one over the phone. The other party cannot see what's going on in front of your car. Usually you hear the other person less clear than a passenger. You naturally divert your attention to what the other party is saying. Period. If you don't see a difference, try it yourself. If there is no difference, you're either a genius with infinite ability to divide attention without detriment to driving, or complete tard, who cannot see the obvious.

Please don't take this as a personal slam. I do see lots of people distracted by kids etc. And AKLGT you do seem like a cool person. But the study I mentioned applies to all phone use, in or out of the car, regular or blue tooth. Its an interesting phenomenon, and if I can't persuade you to give up your phone, at least be aware of the risk. :):)

everyone is entitled to their own opinions, however people do things different. what works for one person may not always work for another. It's called being flexible and being able to make adjustments as life comes along. Maybe you can't do it, or maybe the vast majority of people can't either, just like my husband cannot talk or walk at the same time, much less talk and drive, not even talk to a passenger in the car without feeling extremely distracted.

Yes, I do talk and converse on the phone while driving, however I don't believe it's really any more or less than most commuters do. The difference is that I can still pay attention. I get more distracted changing radio stations than I do talking on the phone.

I don't need to defend myself to anyone other than myself and my insurance company should I get in an accident. I seriously doubt that no one else on these forums talks on their cell phones while driving other than myself. :rolleyes:

As I said previously, if you are that concerned, just stay in your neck of the woods and you will not need to worry about me driving, just the other people talking on their phone who maybe aren't as good with multi-tasking.

Sure some people may multitask better than others, some people have better reaction time than others, etc, etc. You can't equate conversation within the car to one over the phone. The other party cannot see what's going on in front of your car. Usually you hear the other person less clear than a passenger. You naturally divert your attention to what the other party is saying. Period. If you don't see a difference, try it yourself. If there is no difference, you're either a genius with infinite ability to divide attention without detriment to driving, or complete tard, who cannot see the obvious.

and I love how you are so ready to condemn ANYONE who disagrees with you. You don't have to like everything everyone else does just like we don't have to like you or your opinion. It's your opinion, you're entitled to it.

End of conversation. NOW, can we please get back on topic?

and I love how you are so ready to condemn ANYONE who disagrees with you. You don't have to like everything everyone else does just like we don't have to like you or your opinion. It's your opinion, you're entitled to it.

End of conversation. NOW, can we please get back on topic?

It's not matter of opinion. I guess you we could argue, e.g. applying makeup while driving (or shaving), and the safety or responsibility of doing this, would be still matter of opinon? :rolleyes:

Get real. I hope you don't get into accident because of your irresponsible behavior, and if you do, I hope you won't blame someone wlse, because in your opinon you were faultless despite yapping on the phone.

Indeed EOT, it's like talking to a wall.

It's not matter of opinion. I guess you we could argue, e.g. applying makeup while driving (or shaving), and the safety or responsibility of doing this, would be still matter of opinon? :rolleyes:

Get real. I hope you don't get into accident because of your irresponsible behavior, and if you do, I hope you won't blame someone wlse, because in your opinon you were faultless despite yapping on the phone.

Indeed EOT, it's like talking to a wall.

my thoughts regarding your conversations to everyone else are likewise.

Perhaps the phone vs. no phone while driving would make an interesting thread in and of itself? :spin:

I for one won't even talk to passengers when driving. After a while they get used to it. My focus is total; my skillz are mad, yo; and I've never been in an accident (knock on wood).

MT and Auto FTW! Choice = good. No choice = bad.

Oh, for the record. If anyone DOES ever slam into me while talking on a phone, I intend to test the law with an "assault with a deadly weapon" charge...or at least gross negligence. But that's me, I have no pity. And I ride a bicycle to work...so careless/reckless driving is truly a deadly threat to me. Not everyone on the roads is encased in a ton of steel armor and airbags...

Oh, for the record. If anyone DOES ever slam into me while talking on a phone, I intend to test the law with an "assault with a deadly weapon" charge...or at least gross negligence. But that's me, I have no pity. And I ride a bicycle to work...so careless/reckless driving is truly a deadly threat to me. Not everyone on the roads is encased in a ton of steel armor and airbags...

Exactly. A m'fkr almost hit me two days ago while yapping on his cell. After that for the next minute I don't think he could talk much, after I treated them to a minute of a constant sound from my suite of 3 Stebel horns. Hate such m'krs.

Archived