LegacyGT.com

How to completely get rid of all Chimes permanently

RShaw

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
Just de-solder it. Less chance of messing something up, and

you can put if back if you choose (to sell the car, perhaps).

De-soldering the chime bell seems like the most intelligent way of getting rid of ALL the f**in' chimes without cutting wires. How do you de-solder the bell? Can you provide more info on that? I want to attempt this but don't have too much skills when it comes to modifying delicate electronics. My apologies if this is really obvious, I haven't had a look at it yet, just trying to gage the difficulty of this mod before i dive right into it.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just tried to go though this today- I've done a lot of electronics work, but I could not get that black box apart without destroying it. I even warmed it up in the oven for a 1/2 hour... (140 degrees). I ended using a forstner bit in a drill press to drill a 1/2" hole over the top of the speaker, then using a 1/4" drill to drill out the speaker.

I put black tape over the hole I cut, and since it is mounted with that hole against the column, no-one will ever know unless they pull that module out.

But the no-chimes was worth it!

De-soldering the chime bell seems like the most intelligent way of getting rid of ALL the f**in' chimes without cutting wires. How do you de-solder the bell? Can you provide more info on that? I want to attempt this but don't have too much skills when it comes to modifying delicate electronics. My apologies if this is really obvious, I haven't had a look at it yet, just trying to gage the difficulty of this mod before i dive right into it.

Wow, holy late-answer, Batman ... Sorry about that, but hope this helps someone.

If you don't have any idea how, maybe you shouldn't try; it would SUCK to mess up the module, I think it's pretty expensive to replace. But the method is to heat up each of the pins on the chime bell where they stick through the circuit board - so you'd be on the back side of the board. Heat each one up and use either a "solder sucker" or a special piece of braided copper wire designed for this purpose. Thereby removing enough of the solder from each pin so that they are loose. Do you maybe have a buddy, or a friendly shop, that does this kind of work ? It will take about 2 minutes for a person with the proper skills and equipment.

I'd do it for you myself if I could. Rusty HATES those effin' chimes !!

With the proper soldering iron and a little skill, you can just heat up both pins at once and pop it right off. Find someone who knows electronics soldering and it'll take less than 15 seconds to remove.

If you've never soldered electronics, you might want to get some help. Too much heat on the board is bad. More than 20-30s of heat could be too much.

Of course, I couldn't even get in to my case to unsolder it...

• I Donated
What is this module CALLED? I bet there is a way to snip one of the wires rather than opening the box up and messing with the chime. I'd be happy to experiment, but I need to know what the box is/does in order to look for wiring diagrams in the FSM.

• I Donated
I believe it is called the "integrated module".

I did find out that it is the BIU (Body Integrated Unit). The chime is integrated into the circuitry inside, but if you want to disable the seat belt warnings, you can cut the black/blue wire right next to the clip on the I84 connector, and the red/white wire right below it. Alternately, you can cut the black/blue wire on the underside of the driver's seat, and one of the connectors going into the Occupant Detection Control Module (the 2-pin oval one) can actually unplug and that should take the seat belt sensor out of the equation (it should look like it's always buckled). With that said, snipping the red/white wire is probably safer, because that's the seat belt signal coming from the Airbag Control Module to the BIU, so the ACM will still think the buckle is not fastened.

I am personally going to put in a DPST switch to turn off the seatbelt warning for both seats by switching the black/blue and red/white wires.

BTW, this is all based on the FSM. I haven't taken a look in my car yet.

... if you want to disable the seat belt warnings, you can cut the black/blue wire...

Right, but as the title of the thread says, the question is "how to completely get rid of ALL chimes..."

It wasn't just the seat belt chime I wanted gone, it was also the keys-in-the-ignition chime.

Really, opening the module and popping the chime off the circuit board is probably the least intrusive and most easily reversed way to do this.

Once you put the module back together, there's no sign that you tampered with it, and if you ever want the chime back, then you could solder the chime back onto the circuit board.

(You could, I couldn't, because mine went right in the trash.)

• 9 months later...
Hey guys I just did this mod....but after putting it all back together I get a check engine code p0600. I pulled the battery and charged it and put it on but the code is still going and wont let me start my car. Any body have any suggestions?Please help guys

Archived