LegacyGT.com

Brake help - thumping noise

Last week the stealership replaced our rear brake pads and turned the rotors. Two days later we started to get this thumping noise while braking. It fades as you drive, rendering our trip back to get it fixed useless since it's a half hour drive. The service techs say everything looks fine but there was no noise until they 'fixed' it last week. I'm at the end of my rope with this car. I know as soon as we take it home and drive it later it will come back. We're sitting at the dealership right now, does anyone have any ideas? The noise slows down as you brake.

something stuck between the pads and rotors?

do you feel it through the pedal?

perhaps they installed the rotors wrong?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'm at the end of my rope with this car. I know as soon as we take it home and drive it later it will come back. We're sitting at the dealership right now,

Also, perhaps sitting at the dealership is why you are at the end of your rope with the car? think you'll find alot of people here who refuse to use the stealerships for anything because of their incompetance.

take it to a good independant shop in your area who can fix it right the first time. All cars have malfucntions or brake downs. getting it fixed right the first time is the key.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I'll bet they did not put a "non directional" or a rough finish on those rotors and the noise is from the pad following the cutter groves like a needle in a record player. Look thu the wheels, if the rotors look like they have tiny lines (like an old vinyl record would look) that is your problem. Typicaly only one side will make noise since the rotors are both cut in the same direction on the lathe but spin opposite on the car.

My LGT does this as well.. It comes and goes, but one hard brake usually quites it..

My dealership has told me everything is fine too, so I just check the pads and rotor frequently, if it is ok, I don't worry about it..

Also, perhaps sitting at the dealership is why you are at the end of your rope with the car? think you'll find alot of people here who refuse to use the stealerships for anything because of their incompetance.

take it to a good independant shop in your area who can fix it right the first time. All cars have malfucntions or brake downs. getting it fixed right the first time is the key.

Wow, I *never* would have thought of that. :rolleyes: Please see one of my other threads, from a year and a half ago, regarding trying to find an independent subaru repair shop in the area. In short, there are none, and Subaru of Gwinnett is unfortunately the best I can do until Subaru builds the new dealership in Kennesaw.

The car was purchased new, rear rotors turned only once last week when the new brake pads were installed. They ended up giving us a Tribeca (gag) and keeping it over the weekend so they can see if it's still doing it this morning. If it doesn't, I'm going to have to throw my hands up and concede defeat. Maybe it was just a bad spot on the rotor that needed to be worn back down or something... but that doesn't explain why it'd come back just as bad as before every day after the car had sat for a few hours. *sigh* I guess I'll find out more later. All I can say is thank GOD the lease is up in October and we can get a car that won't be such a continuous pain in the ass. We learned our lesson, no more Subarus.

Archived