LegacyGT.com

Effect of different diameter tires

rs6er

My 17" winter wheels and tires have a 25" diameter (833 RPM). My stock 18s have a diameter of 25.7" (811 RPM). How is this affecting my speedo and acceleration (if at all)? Also, will it affect my alignment when I switch back to the summer wheels?

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

You always want to get your car realigned after you do any changes to suspension/tires & wheels combo.

Thanks for that calculator. It says that with the setup I have now, when my speedo reads 60mph, I'm really going 57.7 mph. I guess that's a nice margin of safety. Also, from your avatar, your car looks like mine from the front except mine's DGM (RBS Painted too)

if you make a large change, yes

but you didn't and most people don't

You'd have to go from a 215 series to a 245 to need an alignment and have it worth it

Even then a stock spec'd alignment would be fine for 245's since a factory spec alignment isn't aggressive. If you had an aggressive alignment done and went shorter then you might want to get it checked so you don't have excessive camber wear. Even then it would still only be a front end alignment since the rears aren't camber adjustable.

I have 17" this winter with a smaller diameter too. The local tire shop said I do not need an alignment balance when I swap wheels. He thought the Speedo would be off by about 3mph... showing 60mph when my actual speed was around 57mph. I should have asked him when the speedo is at 90 am I going 87 or is it closer to 80.. it feels closer to 80.

My 17" winter wheels and tires have a 25" diameter (833 RPM). My stock 18s have a diameter of 25.7" (811 RPM). How is this affecting my speedo and acceleration (if at all)? Also, will it affect my alignment when I switch back to the summer wheels?

You can check out your indicated speed vs actual by comparing your speedo to the info system GPS indicated speed .

Archived