LegacyGT.com

Header Install Excitement

I recently purchased a new megan header with integrated UP and decided to put it in last week Sunday. Taking off the Cobb UP/DP and stock manifold were not a problem however when I went to take out the front O2 sensor from the manifold, I discovered that it was seized and it took over a hour to get it out. Once this happened, I also discovered that the threads were destroyed and that I would have to purchase a new O2 Sensor.

I called around and found one for $136 from Checkers Auto. I went to put this in and finish the install yesterday when I discovered that this was the wrong O2 sensor and that the harness would not match up to the stock plug. Shit. Being adventurous, I decided to match up the wires and did some hacking and hoping for the best. I got it all out together, checked and rechecked everything, fired it up and of course got CEL, P0134... front O2 sensor.

So now I'm going to go to Subaru and order the new part so I know I have what I need. And since I destroyed the one from Checkers, there's no refund :-). The best part is that I had to rent a car on Sunday night and the only thing they had in their lot was an SUV running $80/day.

So, up to this point, I'm at:

$250 for the header

$78 for bay fees at autocrafts shop

$742 for car rental

$136 for wrong O2 Sensor

$??? for new O2 sensor

Will keep everyone posted on any further developments. :-)

Wow - Do you have the P/N for the O2 sensors. If not, here they are in successive order:

Front (Manifold): 22641AA32A, $93.56

Center (UP): 22629AA012, $42.40

Rear 5MT (CP): 22690AA69A, $100.76

Rear 5EAT (CP): 22690AA70A, $100.76

On-line prices at www.1stsubaru.com

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Things just keep getting better.

I ordered the part last week from Subie Parts Online and they promised I would have it by this last wednesday. I had staff duty wednesday night and got home thursday morning and found no drop off slip from UPS as I had requested the 2nd day air option from the vendor.

I immediately sent off an email and they replied that I should have received an email on Monday saying something to the effect that they had an issue with my credit card. Didn't happen, never got it even though I received every other email from them during the ordering process.

I asked why they never called me as I provided my phone number in the original email plus it was on the order form. I was really disgusted because I explained to them the urgency as my car has been laid up for 3 weeks now because of this stupid sensor and now I have to go through the process all over again.

I found another place online, ordered the product and they assured me it was the right piece and that I should get it this Tuesday. It's frustrating knowing that I'm about to shell out over $1000 for car rental because of the incompetence of several vendors. But what can you do? Just deal with it... it's only money :-).

You could have put the stripped out one in as best as you could and drove your car. I wouldnt have driven it hard and you probably would of had an exhuast leak but it probably would have been fine. I had the same problem with my WRX and did that to get me home until I could get the part in my hands. THe front O2 sensor is not hard to put on at all. www.fredbeansparts.com FTW!

You could have put the stripped out one in as best as you could and drove your car. I wouldnt have driven it hard and you probably would of had an exhuast leak but it probably would have been fine. I had the same problem with my WRX and did that to get me home until I could get the part in my hands. THe front O2 sensor is not hard to put on at all. www.fredbeansparts.com FTW!

Hey Brotha,

Thanks for the input. The problem with this idea is that I will end up damaging the threads on the new header which is about the only thing that would make this situation worse.

LBGT,

Yeah, i was thinking about that but just decided against it. The car would probably just go into safe mode but you never know. I figured I'd just wait it out.

I was thinking about looking into a wet injection system... what can you tell me?

I was thinking about looking into a wet injection system... what can you tell me?

What can I tell you that won't get flamed on, probably nothing.

If just stock turbo I would use the Aquamist manufactured Perrin alky system.

If going to upgrade the turbo I would go with an Aquamist HFS-5 (I think they are coming out with a HFS-7 soon).

Aquamist has absolutely stunning customer service, and support. I can't even begin to say enough good things about it. Check out the support on NASIOC or the EVO forums.

I like their failsafes and monitoring the best. They also have the best alky metering system (this side of a stand-alone fuel injection system).

The only other thing I can say is get a good tuner that is close to you, or learn to tune yourself.

After three weeks and 4 different vendors, including Crawford Subaru in El Paso, I finally got the correct O2 sensor for the car. Huge thanks goes out to Subietonic for the recommendation to 1stsubaru.com as they actually figured out that the 05's came with 2 different O2 sensor options and found the one I needed via my VIN number. They were awesome. Plus, I ordered the part last night (Thursday) and the part showed up at my door at 11:00 this morning. I threw it on, ran the car for a while and, knock on wood, no CEL's yet.

After that I decided to throw in the new plugs and l let me re-affirm for everyone, they are a PITA. One of my guys showed up to give me a hand and that was a life saver as it cut the time down dramatically.

Anyway, now I'm waiting for my Labonte 3D WI system to show up so I can throw that on and get a new tune. Hopefully that install will go a little more smooth than what the header did. :-) Wish me luck.

Archived