LegacyGT.com

Going to Tein for test fitting of coilovers and springs

Boostjunkie

I posted about this in the Southern California regional forum, but I just got off the phone with Anthony at Tein and my car is scheduled to go in on January 18 for test fitting of their S-Tech springs and Basic Coilovers. The've got the JDM spec versions of both coming in, and they will be fitted to my car. If all is good they should be headed for distribution here. If something needs to be tweaked, they'll send the specs back to Japan, have them made up and I'll be back there again for a second fitting. I'll keep you guys posted, but hopefully I'll be on coilovers by the end of that week. :D

I'm supposed to be able to keep the coilovers for me letting them use my car for prototyping. I'm a little worried that they will fit though, since the JDM top hats are different than USDM, and the Basics usually don't come with their own top hats. I guess we'll see. It would be cool to have the S-Techs on my car while they mod the Basics to fit the USDM cars. Get to try both out then.

The big question...how much? I want to get either Tein or Cusco coilovers..but i havent found any Cusco at all...anyone know if they are available yet for our Legacys(ies?)?

Traditionally, the S-Techs go for about $180

Basic coilovers, $1200?

OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

You snake! I volunteered my LGT to StopTech in L.A. for fitting new brakes (or at least that's what I thought). When I got there they said right away that a front BBK would never fit under the stock 17" wheels. They did take off a front and rear wheel to take dimensions on brake lines.

I'm supposed to receive a free set of new braided ss brake lines. BIG DEAL! They even made a point of stating that they would not install them. Just provide them. I was so uninspired by it that I ordered a set of Goodridge clear ss lines yesterday. Maybe I'll put my free set of StopTech brakes lines up for sale when, or if, they arrive.

Street price for the Tein Basics is usually in the $850-$950 range. They are not high performance coilovers, really more of a matched spring/dampener setup with some height adjustability. So not what you'd want for a track car, but should be plenty nice for the street and should look nice too.

Hey Snodork, I can't let you have all the suspension goodies ;) I gotta check out your car when your Perrin sways come in.

• 2 weeks later...

They are the ones from Japan. However, Tein USA wants to verify fitment on a USDM car before releasing them for sale here. The guys I spoke to there also mentioned that they usually make some valving changes to better suit US roads/tastes (read: softer), although sometimes they leave everything alone. Said everything including valving changes are made on site.

Frankly though, since I'm getting a free set of coilovers out of the deal, I could care less if they "really" need me :D

Anyways, they said I could pick the car up on Friday if all goes well. I can't wait! :cool:

Archived