LegacyGT.com

Mounting the Front Plate

Chapel

This is one of the problems with the dealer here. I am expecting my car any day and told the dealer not to mount the front plate. They told me it was NY state law that they had to and that it must be fixed to the vehicle with screws. Sucks...........

Hey, they told me the same thing, and I said then I will not buy the vehicle, if any visible damage is done to the vehicle, and screwing holes in the front bumper even if that is what it is for, is enough that you can cancel your contract.

Yea, there are dimples in the front bumper. I was told by the dealer that you could push in the screws to start it by hand, then use a screw driver to finish them off. I decided to risk getting a ticket for not having the front plate though...I just couldn't bring myself to do that to a new car. I sure do see a lot of other cars on the road that don't have them, so hopefully I'll be lost in the crowd. I'm expecting to get pulled over one of these days though.

Corey at Planet promised he would drill it in

If I do mount it right in the center, I'm going to bend some brackets and mount the brackets UNDER the bumper (screws go in from under the bumper

Can someone take a photo of the UNDERside of the lower valence between the fog lamps (right where the center post is in the middle of the valence)

Thats where Im thinking of mounting it.

Then I can just bend a 90deg bracket to mount it to. No visible holes in the bumper :)

Thats how I mounted plates to older european cars that didnt have front mounts. Of course with those cars you could just drill them into the bottom of the bumper... you know... back when a bumper was a seperate part of the car :D

Red,

Where did you get that frame and screw covers? All I can find are the el cheap-o plastic frames at Autozone, etc.... Anyone know of any good online places with high quality frames that won't rust bend or plain old look tacky?

Either way I was thinking of possibly having whatever frame I get primed, painted and clearcoated to match the cars paint... have it really blend in, that would look good. Too bad VA doesn't have any black license plates available like PA does.

Oh, and on a related topic, I bought the car in MD and apparently there is a law that states (and very obviously placed in the contract) that they cannot put any dealer identifying marks such as stickers or plates on the car unless approved by the buyer. I had essentially ordered the car (picked it out of an incoming shipment) and they still screwed in Dealer frames into the front and rear after I told them not to.... grrrrr. Its definitely going in my SOA satisfaction report/welcome packet. BTW, how long after purchase did you get that?

It's CT state law to display front plates and my dealer didn't mount anything up there... we get temp plates at first though... which is a piece of paper like a plate that the dealer just tapes to the rear glass.(technically they should mount the paper plate where the normal plate goes but no one does.)

I'm not going to mount mine... I've been driving my civic with no front plate since I got it over 6 years ago... it's NEVER been mentioned except by a cop friend of mine when I challanged him to find anything illegal on my car.

Most cops won't pull you over for JUST that... and the chances of them walking around front of your car once pulled over is slim to none.

I have been keeping my eyes open for some nice simple frames without badging or logos. I was thinking a polished stainless steel plate frame like this:

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=2038066&showprevnext=1

Not sure if it would take paint well...but maybe so if it's primed properly. A plate frame that matches the car color would be very nice...I haven't seen any around though unfortunately.

Funny enough, I had been pulled over before for driving without a front tag by a VA state trooper on US-1 going the opposite direction while driving my friends TA with him sitting as passenger on the way to pick up my car no less (the 3000GT)!!! My friend had actually lost the tag in an accident in PA two weeks before that destroyed his front end and PA was keeping the tag as evidence in the case against the drunk driver because somehow the tags location wheb it landed showed how the car had been hit. He had just gotten the car back and still no plate, the cop wouldn't buy it and gave me the fixit ticket because in VA the operator is liable for the safe operation of the vehicle, not the owner. To make things even funnier we had already pulled into the garage's parking lot and were getting out of the TA when the cop pulled up, threw his lights on, and forced us back into the car over the megaphone.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to be registering my car in NY shortly so I'll have to attach a front plate. I know there are dimples in the front bumper for drilling but I think I might try an alternative. It seems possible to mount the plate just below the bumper, down at the level of the foglights where the two big vents are. This would require making some sort of v bracket to go around the middle plastic piece or just using some wire maybe. I attached the plate frame there temporarily and it looks like it might work.

here are pics -- they should be attached:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ndbpc8/album?.dir=/94f6

also -- for license plate frames, I've been looking in autozone etc, I was surprised to find some nice frames in Target for around $6.

plate1.jpg.fa2f9d4081e4d49ef73d600692a948e6.jpg

plate2.jpg.6c04a183c7108f2501adc0b6e08ebd68.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Red,

Where did you get that frame and screw covers? All I can find are the el cheap-o plastic frames at Autozone, etc.... Anyone know of any good online places with high quality frames that won't rust bend or plain old look tacky?

Either way I was thinking of possibly having whatever frame I get primed, painted and clearcoated to match the cars paint... have it really blend in, that would look good. Too bad VA doesn't have any black license plates available like PA does.

Oh, and on a related topic, I bought the car in MD and apparently there is a law that states (and very obviously placed in the contract) that they cannot put any dealer identifying marks such as stickers or plates on the car unless approved by the buyer. I had essentially ordered the car (picked it out of an incoming shipment) and they still screwed in Dealer frames into the front and rear after I told them not to.... grrrrr. Its definitely going in my SOA satisfaction report/welcome packet. BTW, how long after purchase did you get that?

the frame that you "type of" is the cheapo plastic from pep boys. it includes the four screw covers.

Archived