LegacyGT.com

Toying with Z-24s

For some reason, kids with Z-24s all want to race my Outback wagon, perhaps they think it will be an easy victim!:lol:

Last fall I was waiting at a street light when a Z-24 pulled up next to me and the three kids in it started laughing at the hood scoop on my tall wagon: "oooooh, that must make it go real fast!!!" Needless to say, when the light turned green I left them in the dust faster then they could stop laughing. At the next light, they all had very puzzled faces and one of them half-jokingly said: "do you have a hemi in there?"

But last night was the funniest of all. I was coming back from the airport, minding my own business, when I pulled up to the right of a modified Z-24 at a stop light. He had a huge loud fart can, stripes, lowered suspension, neon lights, and a big ironing board on the trunk. I smiled to myself thinking that if he wanted a sports car, he should have started with one!

Anyway, I had no intention of racing but when the light turned green this guy launched agressively, hitting the revs and squeeling his tires. So I stepped on it to catch up to him, shifted to second gear and modulated my throttle to stay right beside him, hoping he would look at me. The poor guy was working really hard to extract every pony he could out of his screaming engine. Just as I casually shifted into third gear the guy finally looked at me. I just waved and mouthed "bebye" as I floored it and pulled away as if he had thrown out the anchor.

At the next light the guy slowly filed behind me, where he belonged.:lol: I know, not much honor in it, but it was very funny nonetheless. Poor kid thought he had a fast car and he gets humiliated by a tall Subaru wagon. He will probably never try racing anyone else again.

Guest JessterCPA

Thats why you need one of these license plate frames:

http://premium.uploadit.org/cultofthejedi/2004-12-5-003.jpg

Guest JessterCPA
Ah yes, we can have frames, sorry I missed that!

Where can I get one of those?

Jedi?? Whare are you?? I smell a money making opportunity!!

For some reason, kids with Z-24s all want to race my Outback wagon, perhaps they think it will be an easy victim!:lol:

Last fall I was waiting at a street light when a Z-24 pulled up next to me and the three kids in it started laughing at the hood scoop on my tall wagon: "oooooh, that must make it go real fast!!!" Needless to say, when the light turned green I left them in the dust faster then they could stop laughing. At the next light, they all had very puzzled faces and one of them half-jokingly said: "do you have a hemi in there?"

But last night was the funniest of all. I was coming back from the airport, minding my own business, when I pulled up to the right of a modified Z-24 at a stop light. He had a huge loud fart can, stripes, lowered suspension, neon lights, and a big ironing board on the trunk. I smiled to myself thinking that if he wanted a sports car, he should have started with one!

Anyway, I had no intention of racing but when the light turned green this guy launched agressively, hitting the revs and squeeling his tires. So I stepped on it to catch up to him, shifted to second gear and modulated my throttle to stay right beside him, hoping he would look at me. The poor guy was working really hard to extract every pony he could out of his screaming engine. Just as I casually shifted into third gear the guy finally looked at me. I just waved and mouthed "bebye" as I floored it and pulled away as if he had thrown out the anchor.

At the next light the guy slowly filed behind me, where he belonged.:lol: I know, not much honor in it, but it was very funny nonetheless. Poor kid thought he had a fast car and he gets humiliated by a tall Subaru wagon. He will probably never try racing anyone else again.

you know, if my old roomate read this post, he'd call bs on you. why? because he has a '92 chevy cav z24. he contends that it's the fastest car, evAr.

it has some grunt, with the emphasis on some. the interiors on those cars are pure cheap ass. the front passenger seat belt is missing the cover, and he insists on polishing a turd but adding purple neons inside, an LED light that replaces the dome light, and he just added a tv and dvd to it.

he'd also contend with a supercharger, he'd walk our subies. he may have a point, but with some mild tuning to our cars, that would be quickly put to rest. :D

EDIT: correction - he has a Z28 with the 2.8 V6 in it. but still, it's a piece none the less.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Some of the older Z24's were pretty fun to drive. Not that they were rocketships, just hopped up Cavaliers. As far as the Camaro with the 2.8, :lol:

...As far as the Camaro with the 2.8, :lol:

a freind of mine had a Camaro Berlinetta with the 2.8. I was always amazed that that engine could move that car forward period. [cartman voice] that was so weak! [/cartman] The Cavalier z24 was always laughable to me, too. An economy car with a decal set and somehow it is supposed to be something more? nah. Kinda like the new Monte SS. That used to mean something, too. Alas, no more... [/melodramatic tone]

the 2.8L Camaro made about as much sense as fox bodied Mustangs with 2.3 liter I4s. I had one in high school with an automatic. I liked having a car to get around, but I never thought it was anything but a pooch. But it was my pooch, bought and paid for with joe-job pay.

As far as the SVO, :cool:

But then we are getting back to 4cyl turbos, which of course we all know are well worth consideration.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I used to know someone with an SVO- they definitely catch your eye, although this particular one barely ever ran. If you think the 2.8 V6 is pitiful in an f-body, the earlier ones had a 2.5 liter four! A guy in high school had one and he was in a paint and body class so he did his 4 cylinder Camaro up as a Z28. Pretty pitiful. He later got a real Z28 and managed to pulverize it.

Archived