LegacyGT.com

Subaru Scrambler (boxer hybrid concept)

This automaker’s Sequential Series Hybrid Electric Vehicle (SSHEV) system places a generator between a 2.0-liter, 4-cylinder DOHC Subaru Boxer gasoline engine and transmission with a two-way clutch, high-performance electric motor, and all-wheel drive transfer gearing integrated into the transmission case. What’s unique about the SSHEV powerplant is that its Boxer gasoline engine supplements the electric drive motor, rather than the other way around. Up to about 50 mph, the gasoline engine’s primary role is to charge the laminated lithium-ion batteries that power the hybrid vehicle’s electric motor.

Subaru Boxer h4 engine

The gasoline Boxer engine takes over as primary propulsion above 50 mph, a speed range that’s most efficient for this internal combustion powerplant. Both electric and gasoline powerplants jointly provide power under demanding driving conditions.

Subaru says it will be able to offer customers the kind of performance now enjoyed with its turbocharged models by using its own hybrid electric drive technology.

http://www.greencar.com/images/subaruscrambler/Subaru2.jpg

http://www.greencar.com/images/subaruscrambler/HybridPowerplant.jpg

http://www.greencar.com/images/subaruscrambler/SubaruDashboard.jpg

http://www.greencar.com/index.cfm?content=features14

Looks like my fear of something (other) than a boxer engine configuration AND Subaru's symmetrical AWD layout, in conjunction with a hybrid electric augmentation, were unfounded. Hooray for Subaru.

And it will be technologically advanced but mechanically simple. With a 2.0L boxer and high-output electric motor in the mix, this should be a lively performer. Any other info on performance statistics?

The Alpha Romeo stylistics aside, and the new Impreza and B9X model styling notwithstanding, I actually like the styling.

I may just have to get me some of that.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Gotta love teh new "corporate face"...

We'll learn to love it! Haha, I take stock in the fact that Subaru is the only company ballsy (sp?) to really take a leap in styling. Sure Audi and some others are stepping forward, but it's Subaru who leads the pack. And, beautiful or not to begin with, it counts for something.

Don't really see any leaps forward in styling when copying an alfa style? Maybe I am wong, but copying a style isn't anything new, and making it even worse looking then an alfa is a step backwards I think. Subaru should use its roots like with the GC8 and work on that. That car really put subaru on the map, why not make a modern GC8, now that would be hot.

We'll learn to love it! Haha, I take stock in the fact that Subaru is the only company ballsy (sp?) to really take a leap in styling. Sure Audi and some others are stepping forward, but it's Subaru who leads the pack. And, beautiful or not to begin with, it counts for something.
I for one cannot learn to love it. Some cars can grow on me but that "thing" has been pre-judged to the extent that I don't think it ever can....

Ugh. I just can't love something with that a face like that...:redface:

I've never liked the scrambler concept car. Just too awkward of a design. FHI needs to realize this before they make a big mistake in the open market.

As for the hybrid drive, it will certainly add quite a bit of weight for the batteries.

Am i the only one who thinks that 0-50 miles per hour with the engine not revving at all is a little bit weird? I am not sold on these hybrid cars yet. maybe it is just me.

Archived