LegacyGT.com

Subaru "technicians" at the dealership

as a technician in a dealership, i can tell you that everything is taken very seriously...yes we joke around, but NEVER with customer cars or around customers cars. When it comes to tire pressure we set them to their manufacturer's specs unless otherwise directed. We have nothing but safety for the customer in mind, because if something happens to their cars under our care, or from our lack of caring its our job. Be happy they actually filled your tires and took the time to do the things that they did, because people are right there are some mechanics out there who dont give a crap.

That being said, going sideways in your car is completely reckless and irresponsible.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
while i agree tire pressure is a mood point, if you tell them it is wrong and have them take it back in to change the pressure, that is pretty bad of them not to make sure its right... kind of like a big FU we dont care what you think

This thread is stupid. Making a stink over 1-2psi off?!? ive seen tire guages off by as much as 5psi. And when you drive the car and heat the tires up, the preassure in the tires can rise that much as well or even more. The OP may think he feels a difference in 2psi, but it all in his head. The only time ive seen 1-2psi make that much of a difference is on r-compound tires.

I can't believe that people still miss the point of my post. I'm going to try to make it clear enough:

1. On first try they haven't tried to put the proper pressure in. They only used a "one size fits all" pressure. I guess it's OK for most people but it is still legitimate for me to ask them to put the proper manufaturer recommended pressure especially since they're a subaru dealership.

2. When I asked them politely to put the proper manufacturer recommended pressure in the tires, the tech just pretended to do so and it can't be just a gauge difference because all 4 tires were still at the same pressure.

The problem is not the tire pressure difference, it's the fact that the tech just pretended to do the legitimate correction I asked to be done, probably thinking that I wouldn't notice it. This is the problem.

And FYI, I've had my snow tires installed by them at the begining of the winter. When I drove back home I wondered why my car handled like crap. It was actually not as easy as usual to keep the car in a straight line on the highway. I then tchecked the pressure back home and they were all inflated at 32 psi (because this is their "one fits all" pressure). I inflated them to the proper pressure and test drove it after and there was a day and night difference. The 1 psi difference in the rear probably didn't do much but the 3 psi difference in the front definitely did. And a 3 psi difference will also affect tire wear and fuel economy.

Maybe his guage is crappy, in which case, he did the best he could. remember, he is not getting paid for bringing you car back in. flat rate techs dont get paid for that.

Im not giving you a hard time for the sake of it. Just cause you read somwhere that being off 3psi will affect you that much does not make it so. tell you what, go take you car for a spirited drive and measure the psi before and after. they will be different readings. Im generally pretty harsh on dealership service, but a customer that complains about poor service becuase of a 1-3psi difference in what was requested, is just silly, especailly since you technically are not even paying for it. If you are such a nut about proper tire preassure, ten give the tech your tire guage, and them charge you a $5 fee for it. that way, when they dont do it to your "spec," you will have a right to complain since you paid for a service that was not done properly.

I would be upset about the way they drove you car around the building. That is just unacceptable, and you have every right to complain about that.

Strab - I Get what you're saying and you are SPOT ON. What you experienced was a Dealership thinking they are smarter than you. If this were a thread about dealer horror stories, I could share a few things about my rx8 which would blow your mind.

You have every right to be disappointed in the service you received. The Devil is in the details, and the dealership you visited has lost the details that matter.

SOLD | '06 spec.B - VF52/AVO/740cc/Up/Down | 238awhp | 50-80mph 3.1 seconds.

I read that you thought he pretended to make a correction afterhe brought it back in. What im saying is that maybe he did according to his guage and then gave the car back to you. that doesnt change the fact that your guage reads different than his. He could redo it 1000 times and still not sataisfy you do to guages reading different.

I know what you mean, but the problem is that all 4 tires were at the same pressure when I checked it. If it was because there was a calibration difference between his gauge or mine the front tires would've still been inflated at a higher pressure than the rear and I could've seen this on my gauge.

Let's say for example that my gauge isn't calibrated properly and so the pressure it displays is 10% lower than reality and that the actual pressure in my tires is correct (35/33). My gauge would read 31.5/29.7. So I still could see that there is a pressure difference between the front and rear tires. This works in both ways if either my or his gauge is wrong.

But when I checked my tire pressure, all 4 tires had the same pressure, which indicates that the tech have put the same pressure in all 4 tires regardless if his gauge or mine are calibrated properly. This means that he definitely haven't tried to put the proper pressure that has a 2 psi difference between the front and the rear tires.

As far as I know, he could've just driven it around the building and brought it back to the service front door and say that he adjusted the pressure to the specs. Which could make sense too because we know that he inflated all the tires to the same pressure on the first time.

I know what you mean, but the problem is that all 4 tires were at the same pressure when I checked it. If it was because there was a calibration difference between his gauge or mine the front tires would've still been inflated at a higher pressure than the rear and I could've seen this on my gauge.

Let's say for example that my gauge isn't calibrated properly and so the pressure it displays is 10% lower than reality and that the actual pressure in my tires is correct (35/33). My gauge would read 31.5/29.7. So I still could see that there is a pressure difference between the front and rear tires. This works in both ways.

But when I checked my tire pressure, all 4 tires had the same pressure, which indicates that the tech have put the same pressure in all 4 tires regardless if his gauge or mine are calibrated properly. This means that he definitely haven't tried to put the proper pressure that has a 2 psi difference between the front and the rear tires.

That theory depends on the guage taking the exact same reading each time. ive see gauges read one reading the first time, and then a different reading the second time even though nothing about the tire changed. The point im trying to make is that most techs dont use precise and accurate guages that you an i buy to keep in our car. most own a cheap air chuck/guage with a very primative read device which are not precise enough to measure 1psi changes. Botom line is, if you want the tech to set your preassure righ the way you want, have him use your guage.

i got a nice digital gauge in my stocking that does .5 psi incraments in my stocking a few xmas back, I love it. between atvs, motorcycle, trailer tires, and cars i get a lot of use out of it

When I set them it's 35 psi hot ,30 psi cold all 4.That way I don't get a come-back on rediculous TPWS light.Or hyperbolic customer saying"I need all my tires pressure specifically @NASA critical tolerances".My tire pressure guage cost $89.00 from Snap-On and last I compared it to five other guages in the shop, all lesser quality,they all had different readings ranging from as much as 10 psi over.Not to mention you should see the amount of water in our damn compressor lines.But I don't own the shop.Sad I know but you probably have no idea what other issues that happen to your car while in for service, that you'll never know.

Or if you like... do it yourself.I'd rather no shop worked on my car unless it was something so cost prohibtive for me to do.Otherwise pic your battles.

The ONLY time any of my cars ever go to a dealer is for any warranty work, (rarely needed) or if it is something I really can't do.

Otherwise NEVER. No need, no complaints, no whining.

I look at dealers as a place to buy a car only.

If you want it done right, do it yourself.

What's with all those people posting without reading the goddamn thread?

IT

IS

NOT

ABOUT

THE

PRESSURE

DIFFERENCE

It is about a tech not doing a job and pretending to have done it. It was explained in my post clearly enough so a retarded monkey could understand and I've repeated it several times later all you have to do is READ IT before posting.

Jeez.

he wants to feel like he got alot of value for his $27 oil change.It truly is all about the customer.This should be a lesson of how easy it was to find out that your service at this dealer is bunk.We\read the thread man.But hard find a point amidst the ineffective whining....oh... and JEEZ back at ya.

That's your opinion.

But I believe that a dealership that does not respect the constructor's specs and just pretends to do a job deserves to have a negative review.

Just let it drop. There's no reason to start a flame war.

Archived