LegacyGT.com

Failed Wheel Bearing Survey

Has your Legacy had a wheel bearing failure?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Has your Legacy had a wheel bearing failure?

• No
    • Yes
    • Failed between 0 and 30k miles
    • Failed between 30k and 60k miles
    • Failed after 60k miles
    • George Bush Caused my Wheel Bearing Failure

There's another thread that has reports of wheel bearing failures. Is seems that there is a count of left front bearing failures that appears to be noticeably above that of the other wheels.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe these are covered under the powertrain warranty, so 60k miles should do it.

these are not covered or less likely to be if you have aftermarket suspension or especially wheels. Anything that "changes the load" on the bearings.

I think they have to be pressed in, which means you either need a press, or you need the tools to take the hub off, take the hub to a shop where they can press the bearing in. Dont quote me on that one tho.

calling mods names like "asshat" is not a good way to get on their good side or get them to tolerate you in the times when you become an asshat (and we all do it from time to time.)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

My front left bearing went out at about 12K miles. Fixed under warranty.

I am at 35k now and I think I am starting to hear something similar again.

I am really starting to think that Subaru "added security" was a pretty good idea

• 1 month later...
Considering the track record the car has run before breaking 20k - I expect nothing less.

In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

Doo-do-do-dooooooo!

I think I'm having a wheel bearing problem now. Without applying the brakes, there's a loud, vibrating squeak that starts out high pitched, and as the car slows down gets lower pitched - at which point you can actually feel the floor vibrate.

Going out of town next week so I'm gonna have to wait till I get back to get them to look at it. :/

At least I'm above 20k now (20,800).

• 2 weeks later...
I just got a form letter from Subaru extending the warranty on the rear wheel bearings to 8 yrs/100,000 miles, and allowing for remibursement for any repairs already made to them.

I just got a form letter from Subaru extending the warranty on the rear wheel bearings to 8 yrs/100,000 miles, and allowing for remibursement for any repairs already made to them.

I got that too, really happy there doing something about it

Can you post a copy of the letter? I haven't got one yet and wouldn't mind printing a copy for myself:)

Is there any routine service or preventive service for the front or rear bearings ?

Do they go because of not being cleaned or serviced or should they last for the life of the car and fail when ever?

Just had my front right replaced with 70k miles, and I have suspension work done too..

Odd thing with mine tho, it happened basically overnight. Very little noise, took the rim off for new tires, and it was really bad afterwards..

• 2 months later...
Almost at 87k and no wheel bearing problem. The only problem my GT has is going threw low beem headlight bulbs. About 2 to 3 set a yr.:mad: But with all of the other problems, other GT owners have. I'm thankfull, my problem is the low beem headlight bulbs. There is alot worst problem out thier.

Need to change my vote. At 96k hand all 4 wheel bearing replaced. The back under warranty. The left front went bad. So I had them change the right front to. I let my dealer do the job. One the service is great, I get my part at wholesale & I have less time then $$$$$ with my house remodeling.

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived