LegacyGT.com

Grill Removal

CzarDestructo

• 4 weeks later...
same screw pattern for an '06?

Maybe, i never removed my grille on my 06, i would assume that they would have just as many screws on the 06 as the 08 an probably in the same relative locations.

When i did this the first time (before looking at detailed pictures) i just ran my hand around the whole grille to find them.

• 3 weeks later...
What does everyone mean by a "nubby screwdriver?" Flat head, Phillips head? A picture of a nubby screw driver used for this would be of great help to me for my new R-Rev Grill for my 09

probably meant "stubby" screwdriver - compact so you can get into small spaces

http://www.smartprotools.com/images/6100-1_large.jpg

AAAA!!!!Alas!! lol. So these are philip head's screws that hold the grill into place?

don't know, never did it.

I'd assume so, but stubby screwdrivers come in phillips, flathead, hex, etc... it's just in reference to the size of the driver

yep, they are philips head screws

the screwdriver that i used measured about 5 inches from bottom to top and i found that to be just alittle too long

Atleast thats what my 08 was when i removed it, i don't think that they would've changed it for the 2009

They are small phillips head screws. You will need to stick your hand in behind the grille and most likely will need a mirror to see where the 6 screws are.

Personally I found it much easier just to take out the popits on the bumper, ripping the whole bumper off, and unscrewing the grille. The screws were on pretty tight for me.

• 3 months later...
Is there a website to show were all the screws are to take off the bumper?

If you get on your hands and knees and take a look underneath the car, they're really obvious to see. The 4 pop-its that surround the grill, and if my memory serves me correctly, there should be 7 (3 in the middle towards the front, 2 on each side towards the side of the bumper) underneath the car. The only tough ones are located inside the plastic fender lining - it secures the bumper to the fender. I ended up taking a knife to these and breaking breaking the tabs off. My hands were too big to fit in the tiny gap to take it out properly:mad:

That's actually a very good thing to mention. I ended up figuring that out about an hour into my efforts, and after cutting my hand twice:lol: I think I just have some fat ass hands :redface:. If anything, taking the wheel off would make things easier. I was lucky to have my brother there to pull back the fender lining, while I was able to use my free hands to get at the clip. But the awkward position I was laying in felt like I was doing a crunch for 5 minutes at a time :spin:

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...
Or if you have an 08-09 you can save the money and painters tape and just remove the chrome pieces

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/spulinup/5E749554-7870-4618-91EC-238A701DFA49-9283-0000094819B98E29.jpg

thats a great idea. my arms are to fat to get in from the top and i cant get at two of the screws that are near the top of the grille.

how did you easily get those chrome pieces off?

Do the chrome pieces just pop off? That looks like a MUCH easier way of painting the chrome black or whatever color you plan on doing.

I had my grille off this summer and there are like a dozen little screws holding on the chrome pieces... and even after taking those out I still couldn't figure out how to get the chrome separated from the grille. Maybe I didn't pull hard enough. :spin:

I ended up just taping the subaru emblem and plasti-dipping the rest.

• 2 years later...
Or if you have an 08-09 you can save the money and painters tape and just remove the chrome pieces

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/spulinup/5E749554-7870-4618-91EC-238A701DFA49-9283-0000094819B98E29.jpg

Do you have a picture of this back on the car?

Archived