LegacyGT.com

Destroyed a new M3 this morning

5AM on my way to the gym this morning I saw a brand new silver M3 turn onto my steet ahead of me. I've seen this car quite a few times before because he lives near me and the guy always drives like a complete a$$, he's ususally weaving around traffic at about double the limit and launches hard off of every light he's at. He's blown past me at at least 140kph in a 60kph zone on several occassions but I've never been beside him at the lights before. This morning it worked out and I had my chance.

It's a wide 4 lane street that goes steadily uphill for about 2 blocks before there are any intersections and there was absolutely no traffic this morning. I looked over at him and he gave me his usual 'I'm driving a BMW, how about you' smirk so I just smile at him. I time the light perfectly and launch relatively hard. Two perfect shifts later I'm doing about 120kph in third and look back to see him about 5-6 lengths behind me! I'm cresting the hill and there is another set of lights on the other side so I tap my brakes and let off. He then proceeds to blow past at about 140kph, flies through the lights and over the next hill without even thinking about slowing down for the intersection.

Gutting my uppipe must have made a bigger difference than I thought or did I forget to mention that it was -20ºC and the streets were covered in black ice? I can't believe the idiot even tried me in those conditions. I was slipping all 4 tires all the way through all three gears so I can't imagine how crazy his stability control was going. Don't worry, I have no illusions of how it would have turned out on dry streets but it was fun to show him the power of a Suby regardless. I have no boubt he was trying to race because I saw his back end kicking out slightly a couple times and heard him try to launch off the light I would actually like to run him in the summer to see what he can really do when it's at least a little bit fair.

Remember that current M's don't let the driver have full power until the motor is warm and sufficiently lubricated. So, if he cold-started and left the driveway right away, his ECU wasn't allowing full power to be made. Not that it would have mattered much, given the road conditions.

Black ice may have been the wrong description. The driving lanes were clear of snow but it was very cold and the intersection was slippery. There is a bit of packed snow between the wheel tracks and between the lanes. Whn you live in these conditions for several months each year you get used to them and you know how the car responds. The snow between the lanes keeps you from getting too far out of shape, it car only go a few degrees sideways before your tires hit packed snow which offers quite a bit of grip and will straighten you out unless you do something really stupid.

Lets keep the coments about winter driving to the people who actually do it, okay? I lived in Saskatchewan all my life where we have winter 6 months a year and once it snows the first time it never melts, snow on the roads the entire winter. You get used to it.

Come on, guys, give morris the accolades he deserves! He said that he appreciates the true power of the M3 in dry conditions. The point is that he put the damn BMWer in his place when it comes to real performance under adverse conditions - where the Subaru shines!

Great job! I wish I could have seen his face. Even when he crested that 2nd hill and left you behind I bet he thought about his ass-whippin all the way to the office.

You know he's going to be lookin for you now.

DM - you're a classic case of MISSED HIS POINT ENTIRELY! Shit, he said he understands that the M3 is a strong car - just not in those conditions. He put the guy in his place only because he knew that this guy ignores those conditions and thinks his M3 is bulletproof.

This is not a case of over-estimating where the LGT belongs in the high performance car "food chain." I for one applaud and thoroughly enjoy what morris did.

Thanks for the props landshark...at least someone got the point of my story. Believe me, one of my friends has a new 330cim and even with only 230HP that thing is fast. I know the new m3 is an absolute monster that would destroy me on a dry day but this guy is an ass and needed to be put in his place no matter how unfair it was. Then again, was it really that unfair when he decided to go for it? If he had just driven away at normal speed I would have let off and nothing would have happened...fact is he underestimated what I could do on this day and got owned. Now I just have to avoid him like the plaigue once it warms up or else take the ass kicking I deserve...unless of course I follow ShaggyGT's lead and get a twinscroll on it before then. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the props landshark...at least someone got the point of my story. Believe me, one of my friends has a new 330cim and even with only 230HP that thing is fast. I know the new m3 is an absolute monster that would destroy me on a dry day but this guy is an ass and needed to be put in his place no matter how unfair it was. Then again, was it really that unfair when he decided to go for it? If he had just driven away at normal speed I would have let off and nothing would have happened...fact is he underestimated what I could do on this day and got owned. Now I just have to avoid him like the plaigue once it warms up or else take the ass kicking I deserve...unless of course I follow ShaggyGT's lead and get a twinscroll on it before then. Hmmmm.

There is only one prudent thing to do.......buy some parts. Surely, you can make the car M3 fast for (far) less than $3K. :lol:

DM - you're a classic case of MISSED HIS POINT ENTIRELY! Shit, he said he understands that the M3 is a strong car - just not in those conditions. He put the guy in his place only because he knew that this guy ignores those conditions and thinks his M3 is bulletproof.

This is not a case of over-estimating where the LGT belongs in the high performance car "food chain." I for one applaud and thoroughly enjoy what morris did.

LandShark - you're a classic case of OMGN00BSTFU.

DM - you're FOS. Sorry that I don't have a 12-letter dweeb acronym to throw your way.

Oh, buy the way, USC kicked OU's ass all the way back to the ho-bockin sticks called Okie.

Oh well. At least they beat UT (again) which is all I care about. I love rubbing it in year after year...:lol:

Good job morris. It doesn't matter what the conditions are. When two cars want to race, so be it. In this case, the M3 dude wants to race irregardless of the conditions and prolly thinks his bavarian uber-coupe can take on a Japanese sport sedan only to be schooled. Again, good one. Take it easy.

Can't we all just get along? I think this will be my second post, my first being an introduction a few days ago. In my intro I was going to mention how I came from evolutionm.net owning an evo and that legacygt.com seemed much more mature and friendly. Guess we all have our moments
.o0O0o.

Archived