LegacyGT.com

Fog light aim

NSFW

The dealership fixed my fog lights months ago under the 3/36 warranty. I should have posted here when they did, but better late than never I guess. One of the housings had to be replaced, so I kinda wonder if one was busted and the other was aimed down to match? Anyway both fog lights work fine now, i get just as much illumination as I had from the fogs on my last car.

It seems to me that sebberry's comment about how fogs are useless pretty much sums things up. The reason (I think) is a divergence of function and legal issues.

Fogs are (OEM) switched to work only with the main lights because they're not supposed to be used by themselves for night driving. (And they turn off with the high beams because there are laws about how many simultaneous lights -- usually only 4 -- are permitted.)

But the purpose of fogs is to illuminate the road immediately in front of the vehicle and to minimize the glare associated with backscatter from the fog droplets or from snowflakes. Because there is also some forward scatter, it's not really necessary for the direct fog-light beam to project forward very far -- so its height is a compromise between enough forward scatter to do the job and minimizing the glare.

But because the fogs are switched with the main beams, it's glare city. So the damned things are useless except for the bling factor.

Which is why, I think, there have been so many questions about how to re-wire them to use as DRLs. VERY blingy. :p HPH

^ That's me - it's also my belief that "fog lights" are for just such purposes - and are truly useful only for very, very short-range, and are thus also for very low road-speeds.

I tend to use mine more for lane/curb delineation, in foul-weather, where my road-speed is already significantly reduced.

Aim?

I'll confess, this is something that I've toyed with for quite a while. I actually honestly don't know if it is "proper," per outahere's citation above, any more, as for a time, I'd just taken to repeatedly heading out when the weather was bad, and doing short runs to see if I like the setup, re-aiming, and then repeating. :redface:

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Gotta say, using the fogs for DRLs would be better than using the half-on high-beams (or whatever it is on my 08), bling or not.

Of course, if you REALLY want bling, get one of those new Audi A4s, with the curvey LED eyebrow DRLs. Oooohhhh, pretty! HPH

The dealership fixed my fog lights months ago under the 3/36 warranty. I should have posted here when they did, but better late than never I guess. One of the housings had to be replaced, so I kinda wonder if one was busted and the other was aimed down to match? Anyway both fog lights work fine now, i get just as much illumination as I had from the fogs on my last car.

So you can see the output of your fogs now NSFW?? I have the PIAA yellow ion bulbs in my fog....and I cant see any yellow light unless i lean up closer to the windshield :mad:

how does one go about removing the plastic housing around the foglights to access the aiming screw thing? Do you just finagle it off or do you go under the car somehow? It doesn't seem to come off very easily.

anyone? I don't want to break anything. If I pull on the lip of the plastic housing near the foglight lense it feels like it may be working- but I get to that point where I don't feel I could use more muscle without risking breaking anything.

ok I figured it out myself. there is a little slot you can stick a flathead screwdriver in and start the process of snapping out. it comes out pretty easily once you stick a screwdriver in that slot. the slot is on the inside top corner of the plastic housing.

now to figure out how to aim these things!

I raised the aim of my fogs (urban bling lights) maybe 2-3 months after I bought the car. They were at least noticeable until I switched to HIDs.

Now I plan to use either yellow H3's or low-temp HIDs for foul weather use. They stay off now during regular night driving.

Archived