LegacyGT.com

HID Lights for my 2008

Golf4283

I was wondering what kind of kit or whatever you guys recommend to convert over to HID headlights or xenon. I really know nothing about headlights but I know I like the ones the BMW's use and also the ones you can get on the cadillacs. Im looking at stuff and there are like 10000k and like crazy numbers and I am completely lost. any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated because I wanna get some nice lights soon.

I've had a few hid kits and I personally like the McCullouch kits because they warm up quick compared to the DDM kit I have now. Those numbers like 4500k, 5000k, 6000k etc is the color of the light. 4500k is more like white light, 6000k is a tad bluer and 10000k is around purple. The more you stray away from 4500k, the less light output you get. I've had 4300, 5000, and 6000, and I really like the 4300. You also want to make sure you don't "flash" the lights because they are bad for the ballasts and bulbs. For your 08 you dont have to do the daytime running lights mod which turns off the DRL. For better light spread and sharper cutoff, you can also do a projector retrofit which puts a different projector from a car like a bmw or an acura tsx into our car. This will make it look more like the cars you mentioned but you have to open the headlights up and it will run you a little more money.

To do it right I would suggest a retro, and for correct color you get that from lens and the projector not higher kelvin bulbs. Over time and age the bulb will burn in and color shift and allow the hue of the light turn bluish. When hids are new they are yellowish whitish the higher kelvin the less light you output. hope that helps.

I was wondering what kind of kit or whatever you guys recommend to convert over to HID headlights or xenon. I really know nothing about headlights but I know I like the ones the BMW's use and also the ones you can get on the cadillacs. Im looking at stuff and there are like 10000k and like crazy numbers and I am completely lost. any light shed on this would be greatly appreciated because I wanna get some nice lights soon.
Mr.350

op: just fyi, there is zero blue at all in 4500k ddms; but fwiw, the closest i've seen to an oem hid that looks like these are the caddy's that the op mentioned he likes (which to me look nothing like bmw's). i really like my kit, but in hindsight i think 5000k would have been perfect.

^ddm 4500k. the best explanation i could give is that they are very pure white, but nuances are closer to the end of the yellow spectrum. i suspect that the 5000k also be pure white with nuance closer to the beginning of the blue spectrum. i think 6000k will be noticably bluish altogether. there are lots of pics to get a feel for the hues, golf (i believe apexcone and ddm should be identical bulbs). search in the pictures section for 'hid.' ;)

the ddm kit is very nice though.

I switched my order to the 5000k. as far as ^^ I think I will wait until I have a lot more money to invest in those nicer ones. I would rather spend my money on performance mods, but when I do get the money I will definitely be upgrading the projectors and going for that Caddy look. Love those lights.

Agreed if you do it your self, Compaired to other Retrofitters my cost are a steal. Once you start and over cut or drill in the wrong place and a whole headlight housing or expensive projector is runined you will see why people charge what they charge

Sorry for the confusion. I meant to link to the forums.

www.hidplanet.com/forums

Join and learn about retrofitting. Not as expensive as you might think and you can't beat the performance of a true retro.

Mr.350

Mines did too until my beam was flooded out my 05 Maxima, then he had to go and hit his Bixenon and just send me home in the dark I didnt like my Kit anymore after that.

Meh... my DDM kit looks fine to me. No need for a retro.
Mr.350

Mines did too until my beam was flooded out my 05 Maxima, then he had to go and hit his Bixenon and just send me home in the dark I didnt like my Kit anymore after that.

Hahaha... I can see that happening. Hopefully no Maximas roam around looking to put me out of my misery. :lol:

thats why I have crappy halogens now, my kit that was oh so great stopped working, and since I'd done it myself I had no one to turn to for it, so I took the crap out.

I miss my hids but I dont want to spend more than $400 at one time for headlights..

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived