LegacyGT.com

New OEM Clutch and Spec LWFW....sounds WIERD

croll326

it sounds like a rattling when i take my foot off the gas and the revs come down. as soon as i touch the gas it stops. also when the revs are low and i could down shift but really dont need to the car vibrates like crazy. it would loosen your fillings.

it sounds like a rattling when i take my foot off the gas and the revs come down. as soon as i touch the gas it stops. also when the revs are low and i could down shift but really dont need to the car vibrates like crazy. it would loosen your fillings.

This is gear mesh noise that came from installing the Lightweight Flywheel. You are hearing the vibe from the gears when you coast. This is normal. The dual mass FW absorbed that noise and the LWFW doesn't. It gets even worse with a hardened tranny mount.

Here is the link to my clutch fork return spring fix:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78095&highlight=spec+clutch+review

Look at post #10 the engine pic is of the spot under the intercooler. Hope it helps.

Let's kick this pig!

I would try putting the OE tranny mount back in and take it for a spin and see how it sounds. My tranny doesn't hardly make any noise on the stock mount, but sounds like it's going to come apart with the group N STI hardened mount installed. As long as the noise sounds like it's coming from directly under the shifter you should be good.

I can also stop the noise by just resting my foot on the gas pedal when coasting. Mine seems to go away under 2K RPMs, but coasting down hill between 2K-3K RPMs it's pretty loud. It seems like it only makes the noise when there is a negative load on the tranny and giving it that little bit of pedal kinda evens out the torque while still allowing the car to slow down and stay quiet. It might also die down a little as it warms up and the tranny mount loosens up a bit from age. All in all it's tollerable, but kinda freaks ya out for a while when you first get your car back until you understand what's happening and why.;)

Let's kick this pig!

Archived