LegacyGT.com

Dealer unable to properly diagnose problems

subawang

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No resolution yet. But since the weather is warmer now, the problem has lain dormant. I also was not successful in datalogging the problem as it was already warming up at that time and did not throw any more codes. I suspect that it will not worsen until winter. . .

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the same issue with my 05 gt. Although the temperature threshold seems to be higher, probably closer to 35-40. I have only a misfire code on one cylinder, but the same issues with the rough idle, and nothing during acceleration. My car has been into the dealership multiple times and the dealer can not determine the cause - I have had all plugs replaced, the injectors swapped, and countless other tests/diagnostics run. None have improved the core issue. The latest "fix" by the dealer was to "update the software", which I believe may have only changed threshold at which my CEL comes on, and did nothing to address the problem. I too am frustrated, but there isn't much I can do now that it is warmer out and the CEL probably won't kick for a while.

BTW - the "bad gas" excuse was thrown at me multiple times also...quite frustrating when you have tried every type of gas in the city :)

My car is a non-Turbo, but I've noticed a rough idle that disappears with acceleration/reving higher and no codes except for the infamous loose gas cap. After reading your above posts, I checked all vacuum lines I could find- all seem fine. I guess I'll just assume it's an injector that's a bit out of spec and I'll live with it for now.

Note: I traded in an identical '06 which idled silky-smooth. From it's first mile I knew this 08 was different.

It's kind of funny that i posted, and then the next day the CEL kicks for the first time in weeks (by funny i mean sad). Anyways, i just wanted to clarify my rough idle - it's more of what i would call an intermittent misfire, that subtly shakes the car. It happens sporadically and you can feel the car shaking through the seat - its not too rough, but definitely noticeable.

Its been happening for about 15k miles now.

It's kind of funny that i posted, and then the next day the CEL kicks for the first time in weeks (by funny i mean sad). Anyways, i just wanted to clarify my rough idle - it's more of what i would call an intermittent misfire, that subtly shakes the car. It happens sporadically and you can feel the car shaking through the seat - its not too rough, but definitely noticeable.

Its been happening for about 15k miles now.

Those are the same symptoms with mine. The colder the weather, the more violent the shaking, and presumably more frequent the misfires. Cap, get it in to the dealership while you still have the CEL illuminated. Hopefully whereever you are, the weather stays cold and the dealer will be able to reproduce.

Going back to whitetigers comments, I do believe my car is operating in closed loop when it should be based on datalogs. Furthermore, my problem is now dormant and has been since the weather has warmed. Would a bad o2 sensor only malfunction during cold weather?

^its hard to say. maybe ther is a faulty connection with your o2 sensor. metal expands in the heat making the connection that would otherwise not be made. Ive seen some crazy stuff during my days as a tech. changing the front 02 is a piece of cake, so its worth doing even if the problem cant be confirmed all the time.

• 8 months later...

Well, the dealer was finally able to figure it out after corresponding with the Subaru tech hotline. The problem was that intake manifold was leaking! So, they replaced 4 gaskets; both banks at the interface between the manifold and the TGV, and between the TGV and the heads. They figured this out by first determining from the tech hotline that this was a lean misfire, and then by spraying some carb cleaner at the problematic locations and seeing the engine rev.

So, if you have all of the symptoms that I saw, you may want to have your tech investigate the manifold gaskets.

from my thread here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104529

it seems like a lot of people have this problem, regardless of tune or mods. Can you post the dealership name, phone number, and any contacts you know of there? If I take my car in, i want to be able to refer them to someone who has fixed this problem. Thanks

Subaru Naperville. A google search should give you the number. I think all of the service advisors there are aware of my problems, but Bob L was the one dealing with it when it was fixed. It may also help if you mention that you read about it here on the forums.

subawang do you know if there is a TSB on this issue? I'm having the same issues minus the codes and told my dealer about your outcome and they said there is nothing showing on that problem...

I should just take it to Naperville!

There has been no TSB issued on the gaskets.

You are having the same issues but have not thrown any codes yet? That's really odd. When it starts to misfire, just keep letting it stumble and eventually a CEL should be tripped.

So my dealer refused to even look at my car, cause its modified. BUT I did my own test, spraying carb cleaner everywhere I could find a junction on the intake, and the engine never revved. I guess that means no leak? Maybe my map sucks?

Could be a bad map, could be a gasket that only leaks under boost and is sucked back in during vacuum. If the gasket is strong enough it may not blow completely out until it is cycled enough times. Personally I would start with a new map, since you are modified and go from there.

Yeah I think I'm gonna have MSPT re-tune it in a few months....I felt like TDC didn't put the TLC into it that they should have. I did the carb-cleaner spray test myself, and didn't find any leaks. Oh well...

• 10 months later...

Sorry it bothers anyone that I'm reviving this thread, but I've had the exact same problem as Subawang has described. The problem for me came up last winter, while the car was still under warranty, and then this winter, with my odo at about 69K miles.

After numerous trips to both Loman and Morristown Subaru (in NJ) for the illuminated CEL (code P0171), I've had the MAF sensor, Air/Fuel Ratio sensor and a fuel injector cleaning done. Everytime I've taken the car in, they claimed that they "checked my vacuum hoses", reset the ECU, and suggested that I go to a different gas station.

Since the CEL seems to go out on its own, and then come back on, I ignored it when it came on while I was in the Adirondacks and didn't bring it in to the dealer until it came on again. This time however, they informed me that it showed the codes for MISFIRE, all four cylinders. The service manager questioned me about whether I've driven out west where they have Ethanol in the fuel mixture. She also told me that they pulled a sample of my fuel, compared it to a "standard batch" of 93 octane fuel and said that it didn't test the same or even smell the same.

After leaving my car there for a the whole weekend, the Morristown Subaru tech finally decided to dig deeper and remove my intercooler, etc, and noticed that there is a tear/crack in my turbo inlet pipe. Does this make sense, or is the dealership just shooting in the dark again?

The other issue is with my warranty, which is no longer valid. I called Subaru Corporate and opened a case file. They told me they would call Morristown Subaru and see if they would do a good faith warranty repair. If not, I have pay the $700+ for the replacement of the turbo inlet pipe. Is there any other course of action I can take since this problem started well before my warranty had ran out?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Al

Well, the dealer was finally able to figure it out after corresponding with the Subaru tech hotline. The problem was that intake manifold was leaking! So, they replaced 4 gaskets; both banks at the interface between the manifold and the TGV, and between the TGV and the heads. They figured this out by first determining from the tech hotline that this was a lean misfire, and then by spraying some carb cleaner at the problematic locations and seeing the engine rev.

So, if you have all of the symptoms that I saw, you may want to have your tech investigate the manifold gaskets.

Sorry it bothers anyone that I'm reviving this thread, but I've had the exact same problem as Subawang has described. The problem for me came up last winter, while the car was still under warranty, and then this winter, with my odo at about 69K miles.

After numerous trips to both Loman and Morristown Subaru (in NJ) for the illuminated CEL (code P0171), I've had the MAF sensor, Air/Fuel Ratio sensor and a fuel injector cleaning done. Everytime I've taken the car in, they claimed that they "checked my vacuum hoses", reset the ECU, and suggested that I go to a different gas station.

Since the CEL seems to go out on its own, and then come back on, I ignored it when it came on while I was in the Adirondacks and didn't bring it in to the dealer until it came on again. This time however, they informed me that it showed the codes for MISFIRE, all four cylinders. The service manager questioned me about whether I've driven out west where they have Ethanol in the fuel mixture. She also told me that they pulled a sample of my fuel, compared it to a "standard batch" of 93 octane fuel and said that it didn't test the same or even smell the same.

After leaving my car there for a the whole weekend, the Morristown Subaru tech finally decided to dig deeper and remove my intercooler, etc, and noticed that there is a tear/crack in my turbo inlet pipe. Does this make sense, or is the dealership just shooting in the dark again?

The other issue is with my warranty, which is no longer valid. I called Subaru Corporate and opened a case file. They told me they would call Morristown Subaru and see if they would do a good faith warranty repair. If not, I have pay the $700+ for the replacement of the turbo inlet pipe. Is there any other course of action I can take since this problem started well before my warranty had ran out?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Al

The tear in the turbo inlet pipe could definitely be the culprit. Not everyone will have the exact same problem as me (leaky intake manifold gasket). But, if you are throwing the running lean code, along with 4 cylidner misfires, chances are you are getting excess unmonitored air into your engine.

I would try to get them to replace it under warranty as it most likely is the culprit, and probably was the cause from the start. They just didn't diagnose it properly.

Archived