LegacyGT.com

AT oil temp warning

RX300T

For 5EAT owners, would like to know how often does your AT oil temp warning come on and during what situation?

Mine doesn't come on when daily driving, no matter how hard. But when i hit the track, the warning will come on after about 4 laps, in sports or manual mode.

any idea how i can reduce the heat in the AT?

I already have a tranny cooler and IPT VB installed and last track session, even had the CEL for AT come on. (propably due to slippage)

I'm current about stage 2, 2.5.

Thanks.

RX300T.

well first you should change your atf, it's cooked. what size cooler and where is it mounted? also you can reset your TCM: TURN THE CAR ON, TURN OFF FOR 10 SECS, TURN KEY TO ON POSITION(DONT CRANK MOTOR) WAIT FOR GAUGE SWEEP AND A CLICK SOUND, NOW CRANK MOTOR. once you through a code the tranny goes into fail-safe until reset. that doesn't mean your problem is solved. go get a bg flush and new atf.

For 5EAT owners, would like to know how often does your AT oil temp warning come on and during what situation?

Mine doesn't come on when daily driving, no matter how hard. But when i hit the track, the warning will come on after about 4 laps, in sports or manual mode.

any idea how i can reduce the heat in the AT?

I already have a tranny cooler and IPT VB installed and last track session, even had the CEL for AT come on. (propably due to slippage)

I'm current about stage 2, 2.5.

Thanks.

RX300T.

What size and type of a/t cooler are you running? I started with the Long's small (4 x 11 x 3/4) Tru-Cool #4451 stacked plate cooler a couple of years ago then switched it out for their larger (7 1/4 x 11 x 3/4) #4543 fin & plate design late last summer. "This plate & fin design allows air to pass more freely through the cooler than the stacked plate type cooler" and offers additional heat dissipation capability compared to the same sized stack plate design.

Tracking with the 5eat really makes it work due to the frequent up-shifting, typically at WOT, as well as down-shifting. Are you using the sport shift mode to down-shift before turns to use engine braking to assist the disk brakes in slowing for your entries? If so, this is causing the trans to convert huge amounts of kinetic energy into heat.

As stated above, if the fluid got so hot that your trans temps light came on then the fluid is no good and probably looks very dark and smells 'burnt". Get it flushed to replace all the used up fluid with fresh.

How bad was the slippage before the vb transplant? Fresh fluid had to go in after the vb swap. What type/brand was used? If the clutch packs were too far gone before the vb swap then it is only somewhat delaying their eventual total failure. Some people (don't know about within the Suby community) have had some success with Lucas "Transmission Fix" with ATF Conditioners to buy some extra time.

http://www.anythingtruck.com/images/449-Trans.jpg

Thanks for all the replies.

I just changed my ATF fluid with amsoil (tho no flushing done).

I already have an aftermarket cooler.

Thanks TRS will look into the other kind of cooler.

I'm using amsoil ATF.

Don't think trans was slipping before the VB, and the slip i thought was actually due to BPV vaccum hose coming off. :lol:

i agree i should have flushed the ATF before. Will do it.

Btw, how many litres to fill up the ATF after flushing? i filled up 8L during the VB install.

cooler bypasses the radiator, so i guess this is the right way?

Thanks.

RX300T,

You should NOT by-pass radiator, it dissipate heat better than just cooler alone (heat exchange). IPT set up my cooler line afer it comes out from radiator then cooler then back to 5EAT.

Absolutely.

The aftermarket transmission coolers should be used in conjunction with (and after) the built in radiator cooler.

Thanks JIM_KT and jerseyglock,

i was under the impression that it was better to run it independently. was told that the cooling would be better but it takes more time for the ATF to heat up to normal operating temp.

any more opinions? if running in-line is better, i would'nt mind re-routing the cooler.

anyone tried running 2 coolers or a BIG cooler? will the pressure drop be too much for the AT?

I just want the AT to be as cool for as long as possible so that i can enjoy trackdays more than i already do. :)

P.S. i'm sure mods and more power will induce the warning earlier, but i'm sure 240whp and 320wtq is nothing the AT can't handle, heat-wise. :mad:

Thanks JIM_KT and jerseyglock,

i was under the impression that it was better to run it independently. was told that the cooling would be better but it takes more time for the ATF to heat up to normal operating temp.

any more opinions? if running in-line is better, i would'nt mind re-routing the cooler.

anyone tried running 2 coolers or a BIG cooler? will the pressure drop be too much for the AT?

I just want the AT to be as cool for as long as possible so that i can enjoy trackdays more than i already do. :)

P.S. i'm sure mods and more power will induce the warning earlier, but i'm sure 240whp and 320wtq is nothing the AT can't handle, heat-wise. :mad:

Mikeyan is running two tranny coolers

Like another member has already posted, Mike Yan is in fact running two transmission coolers inline AND after the radiator cooler. Theoretically, there could be a pressure drop but with Mike's car, he would have known by now. His LGT is putting down a lot of power (>400whp, ~400wtq) and his shifts are still firm and crisp. He said I drove his car like a pansy, but from what I remember his transmission shifted just fine.

As VTGT and Jim_KT have posted, i have 2 tranny coolers in line wtih the in-radiator factory tranny cooler.

My first tranny cooler is a hayden 1677. That i added over a year ago. The second one was added a few months ago, a TruCool 4454. This has the low-pressure bypass, so it really only works once the fluid heats up to operating-ish temps.

I noticed no change in my 5eat's shifting or performance after adding the second cooler, fwiw.

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

As VTGT and Jim_KT have posted, i have 2 tranny coolers in line wtih the in-radiator factory tranny cooler.

My first tranny cooler is a hayden 1677. That i added over a year ago. The second one was added a few months ago, a TruCool 4454. This has the low-pressure bypass, so it really only works once the fluid heats up to operating-ish temps.

I noticed no change in my 5eat's shifting or performance after adding the second cooler, fwiw.

Mike

thanks alot. will see what my mechanic can do.

Mike, ever had any issues with the AT oil temp on track?

Mike

just to check, do all TruCool 4454 have the low-pressure bypass or is it an additional thing i need to purchase?

Does the hayden 1677 have the low-pressure bypass as well?

Thanks,

RX300T.

• 5 months later...

I really did not know where to post this question, hope everyone is OK with the thread revival.

I bought an oil temp gauge and plan on monitoring the ATF temperature. I understand that Subaru sells a pan drain plug that accomodates a sender unit, part # 11024AA210. Can anyone confirm this is a universal fit that will go with the Prosport sender unit?

Has anyone hooked it up to their drain plug? Is it hanging out too much, is there danger of it getting caught and/or damaged by any road debris? Can you suggest another place to mount it other than tapping into one of the lines? Not that I don't want to do that, but I understand the ATF pan is where it's the hottest.

Thanks guys!

Archived