LegacyGT.com

High RPM's in neutral

ive experinced this in my dads truck which is a manual and yea its the same thing it starts at like 1500-2000 then drops down after a while. the thing i am satisfied it to be is the engine is cold so its just higher to warm up other than that i dk

I notice that when I come to a stop in neutral in my "08 Legacy with a manual transmission, the RPM's hang in around 2000 for several seconds before dropping down to idle speed, even though my foot is off the accelerator. I never noticed this with my "05 Impreza? Anybody experience this?

I experience this only when the car is still cold/warming up and my foot is on the clutch when I'm coming to a stop.

I just simply roll to a stop in neutral with my foot off the clutch and it idles normally

'06 2.5i btw

Mine has done this from the day I drove out of the dealer lot. In bumper to bumper traffic driving in first gear whenever I grab the clutch the RPM climbs to 1500-1800 and stays there 5 seconds or so, then slowly comes down. I am going Rallitek stage1 shortly and hopefully it fixes this issue.

Mine has done this from the day I drove out of the dealer lot. In bumper to bumper traffic driving in first gear whenever I grab the clutch the RPM climbs to 1500-1800 and stays there 5 seconds or so, then slowly comes down. I am going Rallitek stage1 shortly and hopefully it fixes this issue.

A service rep from Subaru said this was due to the drive-by-wire.

My 05 LGT manual doesn't have this problem BUT my wifes 06 Outback manual does this constantly.

I find if I press the clutch in and coast, the rpms rev up to 2000rpm and stay there but the second I pull the shifter into neutral they drop to idle speed.

I asked the dealer and they claim it's because I drive the car before it warms up so the computer learns a high idle speed. I have a remote start so that rules out that theory.

A service rep from Subaru said this was due to the drive-by-wire.

That's the feeling I get as well. It's like the DBW system lags a bit and if you let off earlier than you normally would, it will be a nice smooth fall to the idle rpm.

That's the feeling I get as well. It's like the DBW system lags a bit and if you let off earlier than you normally would, it will be a nice smooth fall to the idle rpm.

I have reason to believe that it is also, because his old Jetta with the DBW system did this too.

His 08 Impreza also does this.

Just an update to advise that I have gone to Cobb Stage1 and it has adressed this issue. It has also adressed the "jerkiness" in driving slowly in 1'st gear, I don't have to grab the clutch constantly to avoid drivetrain backlash.

Archived