LegacyGT.com

Stock LGT vs. Supercharged E46 323is

I posted in the LGT vs. E46 M3 thread about my cousin having a supercharged 323ci. We got to do a couple little freeway runs last night. My LGT is a 5MT, stock power-wise and I'm running 19" wheels with tires a little taller than stock, so I'm probably a touch slower than completely stock. My cousin's 323ci has a 7 psi supercharger kit with a front mount intercooler. He had the ECU custom tuned, and also has a cat-back exhaust. The car is an automatic, but even thought it is only rated at 170 hp stock (flywheel) it always felt a lot stronger than that when I drove it. He claims he dynoed at around 220 whp after the supercharger install.

We made a couple runs from 60 to around 100. Just 4th gear and stand on it. On the first run he got on the gas first, pulled half a car on me and then we were steady from there. The second time I got the jump on him and it was exactly the same thing. The third time we got it just right and stayed door handle to door handle. We called it a draw, but of course he claims that he is experiencing a high rpm misfire :lol:

I wanted to go a couple more times, but my fiancee wasn't too hip on it and his wife wasn't either (they were in our respective cars). Nice to see my $26K car hanging nicely with one that cost $10K more new with $7K in bolt-ons.

The 323 is somewhat of a bastard stepchild, but it really is a nice car. From what I recall of the published test data from 1999-2000 it was only a touch slower than the 328's. The shop that did the install on my cousin's car said that stock it dynoed just 5 hp lower than they usually see from 328's. The post supercharger numbers were basically identical as well... all this on an automatic car. He might have a factory freak, and I can tell you that it always felt faster than the horsepower numbers even when he had cast 19" wheels that weighed over 30 lbs each!

Archived