LegacyGT.com

Resinator guys

JonLGT

I recently went full catless with an Invidia downpipe and I am currently running a Greddy SP-2 on my LGT and it seems to be a bit loud for my taste. I know a few people have suggested running a resinator in the catback section to reduce noise, so my question is what do I look for in a resinator, such as brand, length ect. Im not looking to have a super quiet car or anything, but I just dont want my car to drone on the interstate or anything.

Vibrant makes some quality resonators, but go with the 'Ultra Quiet' model if you choose Vibrant..

I have the canister style Vibrant resonator on my Magnaflow CBE, and it didn't seem to do much at all. 5% reduction from stock, were the 'Ultra Quiet' I've heard is about a 25% reduction from stock sound.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1021_1033

Vibrant makes some quality resonators, but go with the 'Ultra Quiet' model if you choose Vibrant..

I have the canister style Vibrant resonator on my Magnaflow CBE, and it didn't seem to do much at all. 5% reduction from stock, were the 'Ultra Quiet' I've heard is about a 25% reduction from stock sound.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1021_1033

Do you have the 12" or the 18" (bottle style) resonator? If 12", I wonder if the extra 6" would make a difference. I have the Ultra Quiet on my Magnaflow. It works great, but sometimes I miss the loud.

I have the 12" vibrant bottle style res.. I think it does next to nothing basically..

I get some droning at highway speeds, off throttle, also. Not sure if it's anything related to the resonator, but it's annoying.

There is one other catch with the Greddy SP2 CBE as I have one as well on my wagon and that is that the main pipe is 2.75" in diameter rather than the 3" or 2.5" standard for all resonators I have seen which makes it difficult to ad one seamlessly.

On my focus, when i installed my 3" exhaust it was rediculously loud. I installed a 31"x 4" magnapack on it and it quieted the car down very very nicely. I then decided to go even larger, and went with a 36" x 6" and that seemed to really take the level down to a more respectable notch. Also noted, that i did dyno before and after and lost no horsepower going to a larger res.

Looking under the subaru, it doesn't seem like we have the same amount of room to put large res's in with the driveshaft and cooky angles and stuff, but i am still going to recommend the biggest one you can fit. Go out there with a tape measure and see what will work.

Also note that the further BACK in the exhaust stream, the more effect a resonator will have. Why this is, i dont know.

Also note that the further BACK in the exhaust stream, the more effect a resonator will have. Why this is, i dont know.

this really depends on which noise you want to reduce..... if rear noise place the resonator further back

if reducing drone put near the front of the car (where the passengers are)

as for brand...I have always used Magnaflow with excellent results. I am using a magnaflow res now for the 8th car.

18" has suited me well regardless of vehicle. It seems to give the perfect balance of low drone, aggressive tone

Archived