LegacyGT.com

Trip Odometer and MPG

Well,

I am sure that I am probably saying something that everyone knows or has been written before, but couldn't actively find any topics on it.

While driving on the highway today, I reset the trip odometer and noticed that the Average Miles Per Gallon reset to - - -. After awhile it read 30MPG. I switched to Trip Odometer B and the avg MPG read 16.8MPG.

So it keeps Avg MPG for each trip odometer. Just something I noticed. So I guess if you want to have high MPG, just reset it while on the highway.

it says ---- because you don't have enough miles to do a proper calculation of your MPG...

i think it needs at least 1 mile.

your number may be higher for those few miles you are driving... but it will go down if your true mpg is lower.

resetting on the highway doen't actually raise your real mpg number... beause of math.. it appears higher for a bit.

Well,

So I guess if you want to have high MPG, just reset it while on the highway.

Hey buddy, car I sell you some snake oil and a flux capacitor for your car as well? Or maybe you need a rotator splint...

If you want to have high MPG, take your foot out of it. How did you manage 16.8mpg on tripB? No matter how hard I drove the car I can't get it below 18.9. My current average (over 2000mi) is 19.2. But I expect that to go up more now that the novelty of 6500rpm has worn off...

The only accurate way to determine MPG is by dividing the miles driven by the amount of gas pumped. This is how I've done it my last 38 years of driving. The trip computer MPG and miles to empty values should be considered rough estimates only.

I know...I was being sarcastic. It is a false calculation if you go by resetting it on the highway. I usually reset Trip A after filling up but had forgotten to and reset it on the highway and that is when I noticed it. I wasn't really thinking that I was getting better mpg.

I always manually calculate it out and am getting about 18 mpg. I don't know why it is so low...I have wondered the same thing. I don't accelerate abnormally and often the turbo doesn't even kick in (unless I really want it to). I use 93 octane, so I guess it is just my bad luck (chock another one up to my bad luck...I have stopped counting it is so high).

I know...I was being sarcastic. It is a false calculation if you go by resetting it on the highway. I usually reset Trip A after filling up but had forgotten to and reset it on the highway and that is when I noticed it. I wasn't really thinking that I was getting better mpg.

I always manually calculate it out and am getting about 18 mpg. I don't know why it is so low...I have wondered the same thing. I don't accelerate abnormally and often the turbo doesn't even kick in (unless I really want it to). I use 93 octane, so I guess it is just my bad luck (chock another one up to my bad luck...I have stopped counting it is so high).

do they put additives in the gas in your area to make it burn more cleanly? i know they do in IL, and maybe it has an effect on the kind of fuel efficiency you get.

Archived