LegacyGT.com

Toyota's Outback Fighter...

cwmiller

• 3 weeks later...
It's not even that good. A buddy and I were in Michigan for work and had a Highlander rental car. He lost it in some snow going 10 mph in a Burger King parking lot and put the right front wheel over a packed snowbank. Keep in mind, three wheels were still on the ground. The front right tire just spun in the air and there was no torque at all to the other three tires.

LAME!

screw the other 3, the legacy could have used that one wheel :lol:.

subaru AWD>all.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t09ExAUgtyE]YouTube - All ALL WHEEL DRIVES are NOT created equal. (Subaru Vs Other[/ame]

If it has the same AWD as the Highlander, then NO, it is not competing with the Outback. The Highlander's only AWD if by "all" you mean "one".

I own both an 08 Highlander and an 05 LGT wagon. The Highlander, even with all season tires is better in the snow. Yes, they took the cheap route with the open diff, brake grab AWD system but it works.

As for the Venza, it has less room than the Highlander and has no 3rd row. That said, it's probably a good vehicle for a family with one or two kids.

The one thing I miss about my A4 was the AWD system. It's definitely the best out there, except maybe the STI.

///just like how the mid 90's on was the soccer-mom vans, and now it is the SUV era cause the husband don't want to be caught dead in a mini-van now and moms think a 3 ton roll piece of steel will make it so their kids won't die in a accident, just whoever they hit will.....
Don't trust a man that won't drive a minivan. Whenever I see them driving an SAV (Suburban Assault Vehicle) I have to wonder, "WTF do they think they're kidding?" There a bunch o kids in there, somewhere.

We bought a Nissan Quest minivan at work because it had the largest door openings. Most of our engineers are single and didn't want to drive it at first. But after a few outings they started to get a kick out of it. Great Nissan 3.5l engine, all independent suspension, disk brakes all around, and gets 22-26 mpg on regular. It's wide, 205" long, but a hoot to drive! We considered taking it to an autocross, for grins, but I took my OBW instead.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I own both an 08 Highlander and an 05 LGT wagon. The Highlander, even with all season tires is better in the snow. Yes, they took the cheap route with the open diff, brake grab AWD system but it works.

As for the Venza, it has less room than the Highlander and has no 3rd row. That said, it's probably a good vehicle for a family with one or two kids.

The one thing I miss about my A4 was the AWD system. It's definitely the best out there, except maybe the STI.

Then Toyota has completely redesigned it from the ground up, because I've driven a Highlander rental in Michigan in winter and I returned it for an OB because the HL was trying to kill me in the snow. Couldn't get going, and once you got going, you couldn't steer or stop. Very dangerous. My colleague was just going around the back of a McDonalds in it at 10 mp and lost it into a snowbank, where it got stuck and had to be towed out by AAA. And before you ask, yes, the tires had tread, though they were all-seasons instead of snow tires.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Then Toyota has completely redesigned it from the ground up, because I've driven a Highlander rental in Michigan in winter and I returned it for an OB because the HL was trying to kill me in the snow. Couldn't get going, and once you got going, you couldn't steer or stop. Very dangerous. My colleague was just going around the back of a McDonalds in it at 10 mp and lost it into a snowbank, where it got stuck and had to be towed out by AAA. And before you ask, yes, the tires had tread, though they were all-seasons instead of snow tires.

In case you haven't read any magazines or Edmunds lately, the 08 is a complete redesign. Since the new Highlander wasn't in dealers until November or so, the one you rented must have been the previous gen.

The problems you mention are certainly due to tire deficiencies. I got my A4 stuck on a snow bank and it had narrow, Vredestein snow tires (excellent).

I own both an 08 Highlander and an 05 LGT wagon. The Highlander, even with all season tires is better in the snow.

Huh? Seriously? What tires do you have on the LGT?

Huh? Seriously? What tires do you have on the LGT?

Nokian WR's which are good snow tires but not great. I think I'll get a more serious tire next time. I do notice that the Highlander is a little quicker to go into the ABS but it plows through snow with ease. Also, the stability control really does help. With good snow tires, the thing would be unstoppable.

I still find it hard to believe. Define better. Is it really just the added confidence from stability control?

I'm a bit surprised myself but better as in if you drive through deep snow it just goes. No wheel spin, no yaw, no drama. Sure, you can make it spin if you want but if you just drive calmly, it will go through with no problems. The LGT is certainly more fun in the snow but if I had to pick a car for my wife to drive through a bad storm, I'd pick the Highlander.

I'm not the only one who thinks so: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222264

Personally, I've never thought the LGT was as good in snow as my A4 but I always had narrower snow tires on that car (195 vs 215 on the LGT).

Archived